1 2 3 4
drdisque
drdisque Reader
5/4/15 10:33 p.m.

3rd and 4th Gen Tauruses are a conundrum as to what engine to recommend.

The Vulcan is stone cold reliable but 95% of the time in the 3rd gen and 100% of the time in the 4th gen it comes bolted to an AX4S, which often fail due to actuator piston warpage before 80k.

The Duratec, while itself a great engine, came with very cheap accessories bolted to it (PS pump, AC compressor, alternator) which are prone to failure and difficult and expensive to prepare because the engine is so tightly packed into the engine bay. It also has a giant timing belt and while it is non-interference, the timing belt can become an issue on older cars. That being said, it comes bolted to the AX4N, which is a much better transmission. The same trans holds up to the much torquier/heavier Windstar and Continental and is very durable.

The few Vulcan/AX4N's were a rare fleet-only "heavy duty" package. Ford no longer advertised the Taurus as having a "police package" as of the 3rd generation, but many police and fire departments ordered 3rd and 4th gen Tauri as detectives' cars and often equipped them with the heavy duty package.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/4/15 11:07 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: In reply to mndsm:

I said an exige, not a crime scene.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
5/4/15 11:07 p.m.

I know they're reliable, but this list of cars makes me want to throw up. How dangerous is a wrangler? My dad put me in a $300 MG Midget, which actually kept me clear from some trouble after I got my first ticket. Can't take friends in an MG.

My daughter, now 8, knew from 4 that she would have a wrangler. Given her already proven track record, I suspect she will achieve that goal. Son wants a VW bus. What have I done.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
5/5/15 4:31 a.m.

Prius? She'll barely ever have to hit up her folks for gas monies.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
5/5/15 5:07 a.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3:

I think you will find that insuring a young drivers on a Wrangler can be pretty expensive.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
5/5/15 8:05 a.m.
Tactical Penguin wrote: Prius? She'll barely ever have to hit up her folks for gas monies.

Or repair money. A very good option.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/5/15 8:19 a.m.
Tactical Penguin wrote: Prius? She'll barely ever have to hit up her folks for gas monies.

And I believe someone on here has one for sale.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
5/5/15 9:32 a.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3:

I had a Wrangler. Slow and tippy, drafty, and uncomfortable... but at least it was loud and thirsty. And cost a lot to insure.

A buddy had a VW bus. Your legs ARE the crumple zone. He was sitting still when hit and now only has to buy the right shoe. Seriously dangerous vehicles.

whenry
whenry New Reader
5/5/15 1:10 p.m.

I know that I have a different view of the world but the answer is MIATA. Incredibly reliable and they do hold up well in collisions plus they wont be tempted to carry the entire cheerleading squad in the back seat. I did insurance defense work for yrs and the cars deemed to be safe were always involved because the kids did feel bullet-proof in the tank.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
5/5/15 2:44 p.m.

Ms. Foxtrapper is voting with my wallet on this issue for our currently 14 year old son and his upcoming car. A Volvo. I'm not arguing, I know what sort of dingbat driving skills most kids bring to the steering wheel. Except when he's annoying the heck out of me, I figure he should be allowed to live through his first few crashes.

It's true, they aren't the cheapest things to maintain, but they aren't inherently crazy expensive either. Especially if you're willing to just accept pesky gremlins that don't make the car not run. Things like falling headliners, window switches that don't always work, heater fans that squeal, stuff like that.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
5/5/15 2:49 p.m.

How about a first gen Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan? I was surprised to see them in the $5k range.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
5/5/15 2:49 p.m.

Volvos are easy to own if your handy but keeping an old one running at retail shop prices can be cost prohibitive.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/5/15 8:19 p.m.

Wow... I go to work for a couple days and ZING. Tons of great responses. I want to hug you all.

I think I'm leaning pretty hard toward timing chains. Yes, belts have benefits and chains aren't perfect, but for folks who don't even know how to check the oil, a chain isn't something they have to remember to replace every 80k for $300. 4 cyl is a must, automatic is a must. I tried for two days to get more information from the princess about what she wants, but her end reply was, "umm... a car." She did say that trucks and SUVs are not her preference.

I'm certain that every speck of maintenance will be done at a shop, so maintenance costs need to be low.

Starting to look like Camry/Lexus is a good bet. I'm going to read back through the thread.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/5/15 8:53 p.m.

In reply to curtis73:

Based on that I'd suggest a Pontiac Sunfire.

• Timing chain
  • Automatic
  • 4 cylinder
  • A car
  • Not an SUV or a Truck
  • low maintenance (none is actually possible up to about 180k or when the oil solidifies the valve train)
  • cheap as berkeley
  • perfect for apathetic car people
  • disposable
penultimeta
penultimeta New Reader
5/5/15 11:44 p.m.

'98-'02 4 door Accord. Predictable, cheap to buy and own, great MPG and very very safe. They'll run til you crash it. I had 220K on mine before I put it into a guard rail; an accident from which I walked away completely unscathed despite the front end nearing just about the firewall. They'll work better if you maintain them, but you can defer (ignore) maintenance for a while if you're a cash strapped student or just lazy until a mechanically inclined boyfriend (or girlfriend. Not trying to make assumptions here...) yells at you for being lazy and not taking care of your things. This was the last model, of the last line of bullet proof Hondas. The transmission issues were mainly on the V6 cars and mostly overblown on the internet. 5K should buy a near perfect example at this point. I also think they escape the stigma of grandpa cars which cannot be said for Tauri and 3800 GMs and have a bit more soul (but, really, just a bit) than their rival Camry.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/6/15 1:28 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: In reply to curtis73: Based on that I'd suggest a Pontiac Sunfire. - Timing chain - Automatic - 4 cylinder - A car - Not an SUV or a Truck - low maintenance (none is actually possible up to about 180k or when the oil solidifies the valve train) - cheap as berkeley - perfect for apathetic car people - disposable

And the only people I ever see driving them are teenage girls. I'm fairly sure its a requirement to be jailbait to own one.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/6/15 8:53 a.m.

As someone else said, first gen Ford Fusion preferably w/ 4cyl.

Very reliable aside from an occasional thermostat which is common, and window regulators/motors.

One big job that is semi-common is a failed evaporator temp sensor. Its like a $30-50 part at most, but you pull the whole dash to reach it. If the AC works then its good for now. Again its not like EVERY car has the problem, but don't be surprised if it fails. It will basically just keep the compressor from coming on as it thinks its at something silly like -40F.

The 2.3l is known to consume oil with higher mileage so keep an eye on that, but there are PLENTY of junkyard engines for cheap.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
5/6/15 1:21 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: In reply to curtis73: Based on that I'd suggest a Pontiac Sunfire.

One star side impact rating.

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
5/6/15 1:23 p.m.

Without a doubt a diesel, they can floor it all they want and not lose control or waste money. Then they can figure out themselves how to boost the power lol

Merc
Merc Reader
5/7/15 4:11 a.m.

I would pick Camry

Accord

Mazda 3

Fusion

TSX if you can find one for that price.

Impreza non turbo 03-newer if you can find one.

If you want a V6 I would pick

Accord

Camry

Lexus ES

Maxima

Acura TL

SUV/CUV:

Rav4

CRV

Escape

Forester (a bit more expensive to maintence but good as long as you dont drain the tranny and fill the engine with more oil.)

4Runner.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/7/15 4:48 a.m.

I was gonna say a convertable Smart. Distracted driving is the #1 cause of teen driving incidents and a Smart minimizes distractions since they can only have one passenger. The fact they crash better than cars 2 and 3 times their size is also an feature for the new driver. The body panels are plastic and can be replaced in anyones driveway quickly and easily, lessening the need for insurance claims on minor things.

It seems the parents' of this girl would rather have perception of safety rather than the reality of it (average American) I would say Legacy or an Accord. Subarus are very very very good in a crash as are Hondas.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/7/15 6:07 a.m.

Geesh. I know the girl doesn't think she likes driving but man if any of these were my first car I would hate driving. Give her something a little fun with a prelude, last gen integra, or RSX. Still stone cold reliable but at least it's decently fun to drive.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
5/7/15 7:17 a.m.

In reply to curtis73: You're overthinking about getting the right car for her. Right now, she's the perfect candidate for an appliance car. That makes it easy to pick a vehicle. I disagree with the Miata because they didn't make any automatics.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
5/7/15 7:52 a.m.

Some often forgotten cars:

Dodge Caliber/Patriot/Compass

Ford Fusion/Milan

Toyota Celica

KIA Soul

As far as what the new driver wants: I have found that it kind of doesn't matter what is said here. At my daughter's HS there were many different types of cool cars: high end lux-cars (MB/BMW/Infiniti/etc), boys and girls in 80's iron with mandatory rust (some kind of rebellious statement to the wealth around us), whatever cars (kids who don't care what it is as long as it transports them).

So the point is only she can tell you what she may be excited about.

Also whatever you suggest it will be wrong and you will be either berated to your face to fix the car whenever something goes wrong or find that they don't spend as much time talking to you anymore.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
5/7/15 2:13 p.m.

Another vote for Sunfire/Cavalier. No matter how hard you beat on them, and how much you neglect it, it will still run.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A8YxqH1HMo7tS2dEhYnIh44wTYFwU7UvwwQvCNWTQMPX2GW1M5rSyW5T7N1ATMi9