1 2 3
bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/2/20 7:07 p.m.

Accuair is filing for bankruptcy and blaming the covid. Ironic that American companies fighting cheap Chinese imports for survival will be killed off by a virus manufactured in the same country.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/2/20 7:08 p.m.

bearmtnmartin said:

virus manufactured

In before the lock.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
4/2/20 7:16 p.m.
bearmtnmartin said:

Accuair is filing for bankruptcy and blaming the covid. Ironic that American companies fighting cheap Chinese imports for survival will be killed off by a virus manufactured in the same country.

So sad. 

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/2/20 7:16 p.m.

It's not political. It is a fact. If nothing else comes of this mess, I would like the world to take a step back from China and require that they behave differently on many levels if they want to keep doing business with the West. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/2/20 7:32 p.m.

Easy enough to do if you can convince the public to stop buying on price.

Oh, wait, I'm on GRM, ain't I?

_
_ Dork
4/2/20 7:34 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin :

I think it's more or less he's referring to the "made in China" and connecting to the virus. As if China created the virus itself. I'm DEEP down the conspiracy butthole, but it's hard to imagine they would willingly release it on their own countrymen. 

Flip side conspiracy: the US made the virus and planted it in China to make them appear as the bad guys. 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
4/2/20 7:37 p.m.

China's refusal to move out of the 19th century with respect to food production is the primary driving force behind the rapid evolution and spread to humans of deadly viruses, like SARS, Swine Flu, Bird Flu and the Wuhan Pneumonia currently.  The way they have behaved during this episode makes the question of whether or not they are doing it on purpose a valid one.  If they are doing it on purpose, does it really matter whether they cooked it up in a lab or by neglect encouraged it to come out of their wet markets and race around the world?

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
4/2/20 7:37 p.m.

All I'm saying is things being how they are, the staff have plenty of time to pour patio additions so I suggest keeping it on point.

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/2/20 7:47 p.m.

Bummer on Accuair. I believe I used one of their 24v compressors for the air brake on a laser cannon.

Huh, you don't say that every day...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/20 7:52 p.m.

I think I speak for all of us when I say STOP TALKING ABOUT CHINA AND TELL US ABOUT THE LASER CANNON!

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/2/20 7:58 p.m.

berkeley China

edit:

berkeley China

berkeley China

berkeley China

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
4/2/20 8:00 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I think I speak for all of us when I say STOP TALKING ABOUT CHINA AND TELL US ABOUT THE LASER CANNON!

Yes!

4/2/20 8:02 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Previous employer, now closed.

We did not get to play with the lasers, RCOS only made the telescope, mount, and the control system for pointing.  That beam director was designed to take 100 kW of laser in through that round hole in the base, bounce it up through the mount, and out the telescope.  It could accelerate faster than the published numbers, and spin around without having to stop, so there is a big disc brake with a mechanical caliper on a spring apply, pneumatic cylinder release, and an on-board air compressor with a tiny air tank (also Accuair, I think). The brakes would trigger with E-stop, power loss, etc.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
4/2/20 8:13 p.m.

It's sad, but I'm actually surprised things haven't fallen apart faster. There will be no racing this year. Very few people are going to be spending money modifying cars they're not driving anywhere. If you are an established company in this space, it's probably the thing to do to declare bankrupcy now. You can't cover your expenses. Even companies who take a gov't backed loan, can they afford to to pay it back after, or will it be an albatross around their neck?

We have to hope western countries can get to a stabilized, low intensity outbreak and near normal life with collective actions and protective gear as Taiwan and South Korea have done.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
4/2/20 8:14 p.m.
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/2/20 8:21 p.m.

Before the lock...

Had a company meeting this morning, and the news wasn't so horrible.  Apparently our China branch is doing better than expected, and we in the US are learning a lot from them.  I know companies are going to go under, but this is one time I'm happy to work for a corporate giant.  

It's going to be weird. but OUR group in China is learning a lot for us.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/2/20 8:22 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Yes. Less China more lazers. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
4/2/20 8:37 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

Answer the important question: can it be mounted on a frickin' shark?

4/2/20 8:41 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

It was designed to be able to be caught in the rain or splashes.  Submersion would be bad, and at 3500 lbs without the lasers and power supplies, the shark would definitely be sinking.  BAE made a 1 kW for going on a HUMVEE, that would probably be a better place to start.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/2/20 8:47 p.m.
Keith Tanner
4/2/20 8:54 p.m.
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to 02Pilot :

It was designed to be able to be caught in the rain or splashes.  Submersion would be bad, and at 3500 lbs without the lasers and power supplies, the shark would definitely be sinking.  BAE made a 1 kW for going on a HUMVEE, that would probably be a better place to start.

Now I am curious about what the load rating of a shark is.

Thank you, that thing is seriously cool.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
4/2/20 9:07 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to 02Pilot :

Well, if you use the shark from Jaws (which was approximately three tons, according to Quint), we know it could submerge with two barrels, but not with three, so if someone who actually understands math (most assuredly not me) can figure out the forces involved in submerging air-filled barrels, we might have some crude data to start with. How scalable it might be to more normally-sized sharks will probably require a marine biologist.

ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 Reader
4/2/20 9:07 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

What can you burn through with that frikkin laser beam

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/2/20 9:08 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to 02Pilot :

Thank you, that thing is seriously cool.

Wikipedia is saying anywhere from 25,000 to 80,000lb for larger whale sharks.  So if the 1kw can be done under 1000lb, that seems like it would be well under GSWR

Keith Tanner
4/2/20 9:12 p.m.

Would a shark-mounted laser require a rotating turret, or would the shark aim in a more traditional shark-like manner of pointing the mouth at the thing that has to go away? If the latter, we can save a lot of weight plus the need for compressed air.

1 2 3

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
ajxYSpgAScJKCku7iDmtPZguuBnAlhow90ofQf74ONj8vCPWAU8H0hyMcpFit4vc