1 2 3
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/2/20 9:41 p.m.

In reply to ChrisLS8 :

Airplanes, missiles, that sort of thing.  This one headed to a lab. A previous system that RCOS built the telescope for successfully shot down drones.

9 kW can cut 1" thick steel moving 40 inches per minute.  This would be for things moving much faster.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
4/2/20 11:19 p.m.

Come on guys, obviously you don't mount a laser on a whale shark, that is just crazy talk.  

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/3/20 1:40 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Would a shark-mounted laser require a rotating turret, or would the shark aim in a more traditional shark-like manner of pointing the mouth at the thing that has to go away? If the latter, we can save a lot of weight plus the need for compressed air.

I feel like it would be more effective with the pointing of the mouth.

A turret would require training, and we want Operation Sharks With Freaking Lasers to be up and running as fast as possible.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
4/3/20 5:58 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Would a shark-mounted laser require a rotating turret, or would the shark aim in a more traditional shark-like manner of pointing the mouth at the thing that has to go away? If the latter, we can save a lot of weight plus the need for compressed air.

Agreed. And as we learned from Jaws, sharks and compressed air do not get along at all well.

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/3/20 6:09 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Now I am curious about what the load rating of a shark is.

African, or European?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/3/20 6:11 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Hammerhead sharks,  On the outer tips of the head.  It would be perfect, just like a old style fighter.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
4/3/20 7:02 a.m.
alfadriver said:
Keith Tanner said:

Hammerhead sharks,  On the outer tips of the head.  It would be perfect, just like a old style fighter.

Isn't that where the eyes are? Might interfere with target acquisition. I was thinking chin mounted - below sight line, shouldn't interfere with sensors in the nose or the control surfaces.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/3/20 7:05 a.m.
02Pilot said:
alfadriver said:
Keith Tanner said:

Isn't that where the eyes are? Might interfere with target acquisition. I was thinking chin mounted - below sight line, shouldn't interfere with sensors in the nose or the control surfaces.

Right over hte eyes- look and shoot.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/3/20 8:02 a.m.

CAn we leave shark lasers and get back to the topic on hand?

At work were about to place a significant order with Accuair having met with them at SEMA.  We noticed they suddenly got really bad at answering emails.  Now I understand why.  Crap, back to the drawing board.  It's a real shame, their stuff is head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of quality, interface etc.  I hope someone buys them and puts their stuff back in production.

On the pull back from China.  I've said this over on another forum, but I don't think it will happen.  As China is so far ahead of the rest of the world, it will pull out of this first and be ready to start ramping up.  Companies and people will be so happy the supply chains are filling back up again they wont be looking to re-source so it will be business as usual.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/20 8:08 a.m.
Toebra said:

The way they have behaved during this episode makes the question of whether or not they are doing it on purpose a valid one.

IDK, 3000 deaths in China, 6000 to date in the US. Seems like they are behaving better than we are in response considering they have a lot more people than we do.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
4/3/20 8:13 a.m.
pinchvalve said:
Toebra said:

The way they have behaved during this episode makes the question of whether or not they are doing it on purpose a valid one.

IDK, 3000 deaths in China, 6000 to date in the US. Seems like they are behaving better than we are in response considering they have a lot more people than we do.

If you believe that, I have a bridge you would be interested in purchasing.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
4/3/20 8:27 a.m.

The weight of the laser is irrelevant without knowing it's displacement. A streamlined, neutrally boyant laser could be moved around under water by a scuba diver (slowly). The bigger problem is how do you supply power to the shark mounted laser?

4/3/20 8:27 a.m.

Something like 21 million cell phones have stopped being used in China after the outbreak

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/3/20 8:28 a.m.

Yeah, no way are China's numbers accurate.  We've got a guy in our office (err, at home!) from China who's parents are in the same general area as Wuhan.  He doesn't believe a word out of the authorities mouth over there.  He says believe things are getting back to normal once they re-open the schools.  His belief is the Chinese care most about the young as they are the future.  Once the schools open it means are really back on track.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/3/20 8:29 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

At work were about to place a significant order with Accuair having met with them at SEMA.  We noticed they suddenly got really bad at answering emails.  Now I understand why.  Crap, back to the drawing board.  It's a real shame, their stuff is head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of quality, interface etc.  I hope someone buys them and puts their stuff back in production.

On the pull back from China.  I've said this over on another forum, but I don't think it will happen.  As China is so far ahead of the rest of the world, it will pull out of this first and be ready to start ramping up.  Companies and people will be so happy the supply chains are filling back up again they wont be looking to re-source so it will be business as usual.

I see it happening.  Yes, they currently make everything, but I think companies see that relying on a single source point like that is very tenuous on something happening.  The exact same thing happened after the earthquake in Japan.

Add in the issue that costs are rising to do business in China just due to progress- and so the business plan of distributing production more evenly over the world now makes more sense than ever.  Especially when you think about the potential markets to sell stuff.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
4/3/20 8:30 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

I have to assume they were on the edge of failure if 2 weeks in they had to file for bankruptcy. Nothing moves that quick. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/20 8:49 a.m.

The shutdown might have been the final straw, but they were close. Maybe it's a convenient excuse.

Or they were very dependent on Chinese manufacturing and the supply chain breakdown three months ago started the problem. If you have nothing to sell, you have no revenue. This has been a problem for more than two weeks.

It's unlikely we'll ever know. However, we ARE learning more about laser cannons in this thread than I expected, so I am grateful for that. I have my doubts as to the accuracy of the shark-related information.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/3/20 9:09 a.m.

Sorry we lost a vendor, not sorry to see conversation on our "addiction" to cheap goods from China needs to change and definitely learned a bunch about laser cannons!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/3/20 9:22 a.m.

Back on topic, I see.  Yes- If they died from a few weeks of lockdown, there was a terrible death rattle in the lungs to begin.  I am also sure they are just the first of many, though.  

It will be very interesting to see how this all ends up.  I fear this will just improve Chinas balance of trade, because people with no ready cash will seek out the cheapest alternative even more.  On the other hand, Chinese citizens may end up needing a new ski boat, a new Buick and a too large house, and things get more balanced as unemployed people here realize they DON'T actually need a new ski boat.

I try to buy from people who pay taxes in my city, province or country.  It's getting tougher all the time.

Also- I agree with hammerhead sharks having lasers mounted below their eyes.  Seems like the best plan.

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/3/20 9:34 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Wikipedia is saying anywhere from 25,000 to 80,000lb for larger whale sharks.  So if the 1kw can be done under 1000lb, that seems like it would be well under GSWR

Can we all just circle back to this? Gross Shark Weight Rating, I presume? Cereally, the funniest thing I've heard all week.

4/3/20 9:53 a.m.

The thing to consider about hammerhead shark is where to sight in the laser. 

At what distance do we cross the streams for maximum laser hit? Accuracy in shark to shark-target scenarios is key

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/3/20 10:02 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

The thing to consider about hammerhead shark is where to sight in the laser. 

At what distance do we cross the streams for maximum laser hit? Accuracy in shark to shark-target scenarios is key

How fast can sonar detect range? Rotatable mounts set to hit the same target. The intersection of a hypothetical centerline of the shark and the distance away?

Toebra
Toebra Dork
4/3/20 10:05 a.m.

You keep the beams parallel on the hammerhead, increase chance of a hit,.  Let the whale shark thing go, not aggressive enough, and when the batteries go dead on the laser, they don't have bitey teeth as a back up weapon.

4/3/20 10:09 a.m.
Toebra said:

You keep the beams parallel on the hammerhead, increase chance of a hit,.  Let the whale shark thing go, not aggressive enough, and when the batteries go dead on the laser, they don't have bitey teeth as a back up weapon.

It also increases the chance of missing, unless you teach the shark strafing runs.

I feel like there should be a handbook for this, no way this hasn't come up before

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
4/3/20 10:27 a.m.

I’m mounting my laser on an orca.  Sonar assisted targeting ftw.

1 2 3

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
d5pSF5hRjx4hdSp10PVSip64eMIwqd2G3YS7mCQPHLtZohcd5AnMx8dGWH3yvqVA