GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/2/13 1:41 p.m.

So I am about 95% sure one of the jackass valet parkers scratched my leather steering wheel with their ring last night. It is right in my line of sight and was big enough to notice by feel. Considering the wheel is 10 yrs old and was perfect, it is really annoying. Any suggestions for repairing scratche/small gouges in a leather steering wheel? I asked one local upholstery guy and he does not do that work. I don't want to go with a leather repair kit per se because I am convinced I would do more damage than good with my middling skills.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
2/2/13 2:35 p.m.

I dont know about repairing a scratch, but I have successfully re-wraped a couple of tired wheels with a kit from an auto parts store. Since you said yours is old, this might be the way to go.

btabacchi
btabacchi New Reader
2/2/13 2:39 p.m.

These won't really fix the scratch, but they look fairly decent and will help protect the original leather. I've installed several over the years.

http://www.wheelskins.com/index.php

nedc
nedc New Reader
2/2/13 2:40 p.m.

If it's black, just touch it up w/ black latex paint. I've repaired/recolored many leather seats that way. Sounds wrong, but it works.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
2/2/13 3:39 p.m.

leatherique They have a steering wheel kit. May also need their filler for the gouge.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
2/2/13 5:07 p.m.

Don't ever let a valet touch your car for starters. I have absolute horror stories of what valets (some not all of course) do to cars...............think Ferris Buellers Day Off when they parked the Ferrari.

There is an episode of Wheeler Dealers where they refinish the seat leather on a Bentley. It's all cracked and dry to start with and when they are done it looks brand new. I don't recall what they used but there are products out there. Sorry, to hear about your damage and good luck.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
2/2/13 5:30 p.m.

I was a valet driver briefly. Don't let them touch your car.

kylini
kylini New Reader
2/2/13 5:45 p.m.

I've actually had darn good luck just rubbing in a leather moisturizing product. It'll help smooth it out and get rid of the bumpy ridges that the scratches might have caused. I use this (very sparingly!) on my coats, shoes, and steering wheels.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/13 12:20 a.m.

Yeah I normally don't valet, but the combo of no parking and pregnant wife made the choice unavoidable. I expected tire wear not steering wheel damage. I will see if one of the suggested leather products helps the cause.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
2/3/13 6:11 a.m.

I thought I was the only tool that wouldn't valet my cars.....

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/13 6:54 a.m.
oldtin wrote: leatherique They have a steering wheel kit. May also need their filler for the gouge.

Thanks for posting this link. I had heard of this stuff before, but forgot what it was called. I just ordered a kit to redo my old Fitti E3.

photo Fitti002.jpg

whenry
whenry HalfDork
2/3/13 1:56 p.m.

Do you have any friends who are used car dealers? There are experts who run from dealer to dealer or hang out at the auto auctions who can fix interior issues. They generally want to do work that can be done quickly.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/3/13 7:09 p.m.

I use Dr. Martens Wonder Balsam on my Docs. I paid like 15 bucks for a small tub, but it seems to magically erase scratches, blems and the like. I have never used it on a steering wheel, though, so use at your own risk.

This is the stuff, though: http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Martens-Dr-Wonder-Balsam/dp/B000M3R2HE

GTIDude
GTIDude
10/7/17 11:43 a.m.

Hey guys,

I made an account just to post this comment.

I came across this thread about 14 months ago after a friend of mine drove my car and cut up the steering wheel with his jagged ring. Needless to say I was less than pleased, as it was a constant annoyance everytime I drove my car. 

I did some research and saw /u/Kylini's post about "BlackRock Leather n' rich" so I decided to give a whirl. I found it online for pretty cheap (I think it was a BOGO too) and started using it. I applied a VERY SMALL amount with my finger and rubbed it in, then buffed it with a paper towel. Sometimes I didn't buff until a day or two after. Sometimes I buffed right away. Regardless, I did that as often as I could remember - about once a week for 12 months. 

I don't know when it exactly happened, but I swear it was like a miracle. One morning I was making a turn when I told myself "hey, I don't really feel the scratches anymore." I checked the spot with my fingers and my God - it's as if they were never there! Full disclosure, there are definitely some remnant bumps, but they are barely noticable. SO much better than it was.

TL;DR - THIS WORKED FOR ME. You just have to keep at it. I don't know if the conditioner just softened the leather up enough over time or what, but it took about 12 months. You just gotta keep at it. Keep applying and reapplying as often as you can remember. 

THANK YOU /u/KYLINI!!!! 

scooterfrog
scooterfrog New Reader
10/8/17 9:28 a.m.

In reply to GTIDude :

You can sand leather.  Use 400+ grit the dome hind of leather conditioner probably want some leather dye too.  I did this on my 325is wheel and seats. And watchbands.  But be careful

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/8/17 9:46 a.m.
mtn said:

I was a valet driver briefly. Don't let them touch your car.

Me too. 

Don't let them touch your car. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C6MCaYY4WHFfdmmvd8fmRHdFiMAykUSjf3er56MPyDmlkoXVZ85bqiR2X8EK2oWf