captainkarl
captainkarl New Reader
9/8/08 11:23 a.m.

Hey all, I am doing a clutch job on my m42 powered bmw 318 and I am looking up info on resurfacing the flywheel. I called the dealer and they just replace the $600 part, I don't like this. Anyhow, can I take it to a machine shop to get resurfaced or should I just sand it down a bit on the car?

Thanks!

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/8/08 11:41 a.m.

I'm interested in answers as well, as I have a clutch to do in my civic. The clutch has had some chatter as of late, and I'm wondering if I need to resurface expensive way(machine shop) or cheap way(scotchbrite).

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/8/08 11:52 a.m.

The BMW flywheels "can't" be resurfaced. Aftermarket lightweight versions are much cheaper. If you are looking at used, any e36 flywheel should bolt up.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/8/08 12:30 p.m.

ignorant, I've done a few clutch jobs. Depending on how much you drove it after it started slipping, that will be the determing factor in the amount of damage on the flywheel. I cleaned up the flywheel on my 22R Truck with a body grinder once. I put a cheap clutch kit in it. It chattered some, but I put 140K miles on it and when I took it apart, expecing it to be shot, it still had another 100K to go, easy. The first clutch went at 150K. As I had it apart and had more money this time, I took the flywheel down to O'Reilley's and they put it in their surfacing machine and did it properly. I put another new kit in it as I had already bought it. It doesn't chatter anymore. We had them do the RX7 flywheel too. They only charge like $20-30 for resurfacing the flywheel. They didn't even charge me at all on my 22R flywheel. I think they wanted to go home and didn't want to mess with the paperwork. Fine with me.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
9/8/08 1:59 p.m.

I once owned a VW Beetle that we took the engine out of for the purpose of a build-up. Since we were going to mod the engine, we decided to put in a new clutch and have the flywheel re-surfaced. I was amazed at how uneven the surface of a clutch can get as there were a few places on the flywheel that were barely "scarred" in the re-surfacing job.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
9/8/08 2:05 p.m.

Cheap way if it's blue or has cracks toss it go aftermarket.

If it's not to blue but some yellow straw color. 400 grit on a DA and go to town. hose off with brake cleaner done.

The dealer will tell you its only surface hardened that why you don't machine it. sand it your not taking off lots of material just prep.

captainkarl
captainkarl New Reader
9/8/08 2:50 p.m.

thanks for the advice and comments. I'll just give it a little sanding with 400 grit then. :)

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
9/8/08 3:37 p.m.

I had a shop resurface the flywheel from my mustang after the tranny went kaboom and ford racing sent the wrong part. It then cracked less then 30000 miles later and ate my new clutch

Go to www.bimmerforums.com and ask those guys for some advice too. I think they usually replace their flywheels.

If you decide to get a new one go to www.oembimmerparts.com. They have great prices for OEM parts.

Rigmaster
Rigmaster New Reader
9/9/08 8:49 p.m.

No need to replace it if it's in good shape.

As others have mentioned, if it's blue- you might need to worry. Also, if it's got gouges or grooves in it- you might need to worry.

Other than that- stick the new Pressure plate, disc + t/o bearing in there and bolt it back together.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....... ;)

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/9/08 9:11 p.m.

thanks for the hints.. I think my throwout bearing is wrecked. The clutch dosen't slip but man is engagement a session in chatter control.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
9/10/08 10:47 a.m.

Chatter? Is the clutch disc you have unsprung? Is it more like the whole car shudders and shakes when you slip the clutch? Because that's a warped pressure plate, I believe.

As a side note, I got the flywheel in my Saturn resurfaced when I replaced the clutch, it was $40 for a machine shop to do it. I handed it to them, they said hang on, and four minutes later it was done.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/10/08 11:17 a.m.

Cool for $40 or so I think I'll have it done.

Might be a warped pressure plate, the whole car shakes, but If you rev her and slip it more it's OK. The Throw out bearing is trashed though. Rattles at idle with pedal out. Could be a wrecked spring. I don't know. I do know that it needs help.

11110000 New Reader
9/10/08 5:37 p.m.

I always have my flywheels resurfaced when doing a clutch. Drop it off at lunch, pick it up on the way home, wallet only $20 lighter.

02Pilot
02Pilot New Reader
9/10/08 6:29 p.m.

I don't know about your particular engine/transmission combo, but some later BMWs have a dual-mass flywheel that (it is claimed) should not/cannot be resurfaced, and must be replaced. I can't say exactly why not, but that's the scuttlebutt on the BMW boards. Personally, I'll be going to an aftermarket flywheel and a sprung clutch disc when I do the clutch on my 525i, but then I'm getting rid of the hated self-adjusting clutch as well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5esjgGVsnemFrd3iRxtib0bZmXClEnx3RLv22MybZH4dEYHur0a4W2Iu48j3DyrV