OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
2/17/15 6:13 p.m.

Alright fellas, looks like I should probably pop for the FM FRRK - a couple spots where the frame rails have been flattened (and, based on the shininess of the scraped rails, probably happened going in and out of my neighborhood...).

From Miata.net, seems like it's not a hard process, but seems as though I'd want the car nice and level on the jack stands? Ideal placement of the jacks?

Since the flattened rail probably wouldn't clear the FM units, pound until they fit, or?

Mr. Tanner sir, can I get a copy of the install instructions?

Any other insights appreciated....

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/17/15 6:19 p.m.

I put my last Miata (now bgkast's) on axle stands at the jacking points, massaged the worst parts of the OEM rails and then "helped" the FM ones over with a rubber mallet.

Don't forget to pull the carpet as you'll end up drilling the mounting holes from underneath the car.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/17/15 6:20 p.m.

it's pretty easy to do, just have to get the car high enough for comfortable drilling from below. You can find a copy of the instructions on the fm site.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
2/17/15 6:27 p.m.

Several hammers.
I also employed some clamps to compress the - flattened - rails from both sides, though mine were in pretty bad shape.

Never was able to get the butterfly brace to fit properly, moot point since I yanked the rails off for autocross anyway.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
2/17/15 6:30 p.m.
EvanB wrote: You can find a copy of the instructions on the fm site.

Blind or dumb, don't find - under which "menu" item?

In reply to SnowMongoose - ah, clamps, those are usually helpful...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/15 6:34 p.m.

The frame rail instructions are not currently available online due to infringement issues. Not by us.

Drop me an email, I'll fire off a copy.

I use a big hammer. It's a fun job that way.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/17/15 6:40 p.m.

Ah, I knew they were there at one point but couldn't find them now.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
2/17/15 6:40 p.m.

Not hard, a bit tedious. Would definitely recommend a 2nd pair of hands.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/15 9:14 p.m.

I installed mine alone. Instead of a hammer, I think I used a floor jack. It was a worthwhile modification.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
2/17/15 9:57 p.m.
Woody wrote: I installed mine alone. Instead of a hammer, I think I used a floor jack. It was a worthwhile modification.

Another great idea... getting easier all the time (well, in theory - I'm pretty sure I can find a way to make it hard).

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
2/17/15 11:42 p.m.

I installed mine with 3m window weld.

I spent a day removing undercoating, cleaning and degreasing.

I gave it a few days to cure.

The first drive, I was blown away.

A few miles and autocrosses on sticky tires, the glue has separated some, and they are now an improvement, but nothing like what they were. If only I had more knowledge about automotive epoxies.

I used a HF dead blow hammer first to try to straighten the rails, that did not work. I needed a solid sledge hammer to move the metal.

I had read that the rails would provide a jacking point; although the rails do not crush like the factory rails do with a jack; they still bend a little, so I would not recommend using them as jacking points after installing.

They also bump you a class in autocross, so plan for that.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/18/15 5:41 a.m.

If required, drilling up from below a car is a royal pain. I like to rest the drill on the pad of the floorjack and have a helper provide the upwards force; kinda like an upside down drill press.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
2/18/15 7:16 a.m.

That looks way more tedious than just using a good drill with a quality bit.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/18/15 7:26 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: That looks way more tedious than just using a good drill with a quality bit.

Not when you have to do more than two or three.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
2/18/15 9:20 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:
z31maniac wrote: That looks way more tedious than just using a good drill with a quality bit.
Not when you have to do more than two or three.

I installed an FM frame rail kit and butterfly brace on my car. Dealing with the jack, lining it up, everytime, etc seems like a way bigger hassle.

We put the framerails in place, the undercoating held them in place, drill the holes.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/18/15 10:29 a.m.

If you are going to install a butterfly brace too use it to line up the frame rail reinforcements relative to each other before drilling!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XXmESoZK6o7lMoOdbro4iaPQ0xq8oOidvsJwRn0IALAuEVcGhJfp1QwtrvRkxsm6