1 2 3 ... 5
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/19/20 10:53 a.m.

Lets say one has $65k for a new american sports car and ignoring the whole c8 production freeze. 

Challenger Hellcat Widebody  717 warrantied HP 

vs

C8 w/ Z51 package   Americas budget supercar.

Ransom (Forum Supporter)
Ransom (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/19/20 10:57 a.m.

Hrm... They both do fast in pretty copious amounts... Do I want to turn? Yeah, C8 for me.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/19/20 10:59 a.m.

Mid engine is pretty cool. C8 for me 

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
5/19/20 11:01 a.m.

Do you need a back seat?  Challenger

Do you not need a back seat?  Corvette 

I would need a back seat, I'm still getting the Corvette. 

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
5/19/20 11:02 a.m.

Enough power plus turning...C8 here.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
5/19/20 11:02 a.m.

Hellcat for me. Looks better, sounds awesome, easier to live with in real life. Also, the Hellcat has been out for a while and the gremlins have all been sorted out. The C8 is an all-new car and development/production has been hampered twice now, the big UAW strike and now Covid-19, which makes me think that the first year cars are going to have some serious teething pains.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
5/19/20 11:04 a.m.

I'm struggling to wrap my head around the idea that I can get over 700 hp with a warranty for $65k.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/19/20 11:05 a.m.

If it’s my only car, Hellcat.  If I have another car for a daily driver, C8.

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/19/20 11:07 a.m.

Other than the rear seats, I can't see the Challenger being even in the same ball park. The C8 is faster 0-60, about tied in the 1/4, and would destroy the Challenger around a road course. Either one is going to have its own set of "American car" foibles, but the added bonus of "Italian owned, Mopar built American car" foibles for the Challenger. I'm not sure the teething pains are going to be as bad as the run of the mill Mopar pains. And I say that as a Mopar owner.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
5/19/20 11:16 a.m.
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:

Other than the rear seats, I can't see the Challenger being even in the same ball park. The C8 is faster 0-60, about tied in the 1/4, and would destroy the Challenger around a road course. Either one is going to have its own set of "American car" foibles, but the added bonus of "Italian owned, Mopar built American car" foibles for the Challenger. I'm not sure the teething pains are going to be as bad as the run of the mill Mopar pains. And I say that as a Mopar owner.

I think the Dodge still holds up if your desire is for more of a traditional muscle car. Of course if you want more than just brutal acceleration you get the Corvette, but I can see the appeal with the Hellcat. Personally, I'm not the type to spend so much money on a track toy given the financial risks associated with that, so my decision between these two would come down to more subjective considerations.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/19/20 11:40 a.m.

Hellcat for me, hands down.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
5/19/20 11:44 a.m.

I'd rather a Charger than the Challenger. And for less money I'd rather cram that engine into a magnum

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
5/19/20 11:44 a.m.

Base model Vette's always seem pretty pedestrian after the hotter versions are released a year or so later and overshadow them.

The Widebody Hellcat is never going to seem like a base model. Plus it's the only option with a manual if you're into that.

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
5/19/20 11:47 a.m.

Currently own and daily a challenger, I can say it's a great at being a daily with a useable back seat (fits my 11 year old and 2 year old) and huge trunk. But I wouldn't take it to a autocross or track day and expect it to do great but it would still be fun. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/20 11:56 a.m.

If adding to current stable, corvette.  If only car, i have kids so challenger(but would opt for charger if given the option)

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
5/19/20 12:10 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Hellcat for me, hands down.

Exactly.

tuna55 (Forum Supporter)
tuna55 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/19/20 12:15 p.m.

I am a lifelong Corvette fan. I've been to the museum (not as exciting as I had hoped), my parents own the 67 I left my wedding in. I've driven a C3 and C4 and loved them. 

I think the C7 and C8 were beaten hard with the ugly stick. They are undeniably better around a racetrack than the Challenger, but gosh, so ugly, especially the C8 interior. The Challenger is way way better looking, and probably better to live with.

So I add a third option.

Take this:

For whatever salvage auction would get, maybe $20K, and add some work, some measurements from the aforementioned museum, and make this fit:

There, that's my choice.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/19/20 12:28 p.m.

The Corvette strikes me as a worthy successor to the hairiest car I've even been in, the 2005ish fordgt. That was an amazing experience. 

The hellcat, I'm with everyone else. Lemme get that charger. A much better looking car imo. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/20 12:31 p.m.

Another thought, if it matters, I'd expect Corvette depreciation to track like it has historically. That is to say that while the C8 is a milestone, it will likely be eclipsed by subsequent year's models performance-wise, and thus a first-year C8 probably won't be worth as much as later C8s until they get old enough for the fact it's a first-year car means something to collectors.

I'm also guessing Hellcat production - especially widebody variants - is far less than C8 production. Add in that from what I see on the streets, Hellcat owners are more likely to drive(wreck) their cars than the average Vette owner, and I think you potentially could own a Hellcat for several years & not lose a bunch of money.

tuna55 (Forum Supporter)
tuna55 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/19/20 12:37 p.m.

Adding another, the Hellcat reminds me of the top hat guy asking "What if we tried more power?" over and over and over again here: https://what-if.xkcd.com/13/

I like that.

79rex
79rex Reader
5/19/20 12:40 p.m.

something about melting the tires at ease with a front engine 700+ hp car seems like a blast for me, Ill take the challenger.  Ive also seen a couple a track day.  They hold their own better then a car that heavy should be able to.  

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/20 1:08 p.m.
MrFancypants said:

I'm struggling to wrap my head around the idea that I can get over 700 hp with a warranty for $65k.

I'm furloughed, so I'm trying to wrap my head around just the $65k part laugh

Definite vote for the C8.  It is a tuned, mid-engined, capable track car for the street.  The Hellcat is a heavy, floppy sedan with a monster under the hood.  If you want to actually USE the hp for more than bragging rights, get the C8

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
5/19/20 1:12 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

If it’s my only car, Hellcat.  If I have another car for a daily driver, C8.

This

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
5/19/20 1:16 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
MrFancypants said:

I'm furloughed, so I'm trying to wrap my head around just the $65k part laugh

Definite vote for the C8.  It is a tuned, mid-engined, capable track car for the street.  The Hellcat is a heavy, floppy sedan with a monster under the hood.  If you want to actually USE the hp for more than bragging rights, get the C8

I think I would defer to my four year old on this one.  Show him both, and buy the one he gets more excited about.  laugh  I'd find something to love no matter which one ended up in the garage.

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/19/20 1:31 p.m.

Another vote for the c8. The hellcat is awesome, but not on the same level as the Vette.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9laRr9df0HdIogxGvKNq2F2hptZQE8lieKzwpvOWPVAcHS0Y2IWRHwfelQiydnpI