Gieb
Gieb None
1/3/13 1:24 p.m.

I'm currently in grad school and have been putting my zeal for automotive projects on hold for the last few years. After graduation in May, I'm planning to move into an apartment in Minneapolis.

My apartment will have a garage for my daily driver, but I'd also like a space to work on projects. Do you all have any recommendations? I've seen decent private garages for rent come up on Craigslist every once in a while so that's one option. I'd actually like to purchase a garage, but they always come with a house attached. I considered buying or renting an airplane hanger, but I think most require you to have an actual plane. Are there any other options?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/3/13 1:30 p.m.

If you make friends, you can often rent large commercial warehouse spaces for reasonable prices that are doable splitting say.... 4 ways.

Other than that, renting a private garage is really the only easy option.

I'm currently renting two garages and it sucks badly. I rent a 2 car at my apartment that i use for storing the nice cars and whatever parts i may be selling quickly/unused wheel/tire sets.

And i rent another one about 30 minutes north for actual work.

I'd REALLY like to get in a HUGE space with about 3-4 of my buddies to get some real work done, and just for a cool place to hang out.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/3/13 1:32 p.m.

My aunt's barn.

Thats more or less because I can't park an unlicensed vehicle in the driveway.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
1/3/13 1:49 p.m.

I live in south Minneapolis. From what I've seen renting a single stall garage will often cost in the $80-$100 range unless you have a friend who gives you a deal. There are some car clubs around (I know of one that's a bunch of hot rodders) who pool their resources into a central work space but you'll have to look around to find them.

Of course, if you win the lottery between now and then you could alway buy one of the garage condos out at the Auto Motorplex in Chanhassen: http://automotorplex.com/

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/3/13 2:09 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: If you make friends, you can often rent large commercial warehouse spaces for reasonable prices that are doable splitting say.... 4 ways.

I rent a 5000 square foot warehouse with 4 other guys. It is pretty awesome and is only $250 a month each.

peter
peter HalfDork
1/3/13 2:32 p.m.

I made friends with a collector out in the suburbs. He's got a true garage-mahal, and usually has some extra space. I get a heated/air-conditioned workspace, massive compressor, tools to borrow, etc etc. Not sure what he gets out of it, but he seems to like seeing my projects pass through. I keep things neat and try and do little things around the garage that tend to get overlooked - sweep up, restock little consumables, etc etc.

I've heard of a couple other people falling into situations like this - it pays to be outgoing, friendly, and offer some value - one friend is getting his benefactor's Porsche collection running, one car at a time, by dedicating a few hours here and there. Once you're in, be neat and respectful. And keep your mouth shut about who your benefactor is, where their garage is, and what's in the garage...

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
1/3/13 2:44 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: If you make friends, you can often rent large commercial warehouse spaces for reasonable prices that are doable splitting say.... 4 ways.
I rent a 5000 square foot warehouse with 4 other guys. It is pretty awesome and is only $250 a month each.

I totally want to do this. I need to find a few other trustworthy guys first.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/3/13 3:25 p.m.

i see the cost of a rental as $ i could save toward a 'better' project since you won't get anything back unless you're making money on the project. I looked into this when in gradschool and instead just borrowed friend's garages and driveways, but never for more than a few months. Alternatively, find a Lemons crew or a GRM crew and help them with their project if all you want to do is scratch an itch...

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
1/3/13 3:29 p.m.

Parking lot of apartment :|

Gieb
Gieb New Reader
1/3/13 4:07 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Of course, if you win the lottery between now and then you could alway buy one of the garage condos out at the Auto Motorplex in Chanhassen: http://automotorplex.com/

I saw that place, but, as you mentioned, I'm sure they're a pretty penny. Looks like I'll find a private garage to rent in the beginning and see what I might be able to conjure up with friends after that - a warehouse would be awesome. Thanks for all your input everyone!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZLnjruwWlSRGImxzva9eWzQf5frKjO4z7ZnvbzFgHaOPATnAvolpuxEIOUcNo3Vb