1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/7/21 10:45 a.m.
feature_image

A quick internet search of new sports cars costing around $50,000 yields pretty much what you would expect: Supras, Mustangs, Chargers and the like.

But do you know what else you could get for that same amount of money? A genuine Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

Hagerty currently values a V8 Vantage in No. 2 condition at $45,700, though we were …

Read the rest of the story

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/21 10:47 a.m.

This place enables. 

Colin Wood
5/7/21 11:31 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Grassroots Enablersports
We are your personal source of peer pressure for the sports car world

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/7/21 11:38 a.m.

Or for the same price, be able to afford half of a fully restored 69 R/T Charger. (sigh)

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/7/21 2:38 p.m.

I didn't see this...
I didn't see this...
I didn't see this...
I didn't see this...
I didn't see this...

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
5/7/21 2:45 p.m.

Damn can't even get away from tavarish on here 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/7/21 3:12 p.m.

Is there a similar look at the v12 DB7?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/7/21 3:14 p.m.

Hnnnnng. I love Aston's. If I ever won the lottery (I'd have to buy a ticket first), an Aston would be the first thing I'd buy over anything else. 

Although if the 135i broke my heart through my wallet, I'd hate to think what a 15-year old Aston would do to it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/7/21 3:33 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Consume it whole.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/7/21 3:41 p.m.

1. New Supras are expensive. 

2. I know a guy who actually bought a DB5 back in the 1970s for $6,000. He later traded it for a Daimler Dart SP 250 because the DB5 was to fast for him to vintage race. 

3. I paid $50,000 for my house. 

Anybody know what a Daimler Dart sells for now? 

Colin Wood
5/7/21 3:54 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Hagerty says a number two example can be had for less than $40,000.

And hey, looks like we have a buyer's guide for the DB7, too.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
5/7/21 3:59 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

2. I know a guy who actually bought a DB5 back in the 1970s for $6,000. He later traded it for a Daimler Dart SP 250 because the DB5 was to fast for him to vintage race. 

I paid $48,400 for my 1995 Supra turbo new. 

thats about 90k today ... 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/7/21 4:07 p.m.

I see DB7s around Dallas for around $25,000. I have actually seen them sitting on used car lots up in Plano. Most people think they are Jaguars. 

I also see Jaguars and Maseratis on sitting on these lots in the 20K to 30K range.  I think a lot of them come off lease from the higher end leasing companies. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/7/21 6:49 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

In reply to alfadriver :

Hagerty says a number two example can be had for less than $40,000.

And hey, looks like we have a buyer's guide for the DB7, too.

Don't know much about the auto in the I6, but the auto trans in the V12 is really good.  Huge ZF box.  The manual is the same box out of a Viper (which I can't remember who that was, Borg Warner???) with a real 5th and 6th gear.  I used to have a recording of it doing Vmax at Nardo.

The Vantage chassis is much better than the DB7, which was just an XJ12- didn't even have an aluminum subframe on the DB7.  But the V8 as well as the Vanquish and DB9 had a totally new chassis (somewhat based off of the DEW98 and it's Jag brother).

Good to think of that stuff.

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
5/8/21 7:37 a.m.

Does buying a lightly used Ford Fusion with a non-turbo 4 cylinder at a near 1/3rd of the price count as an even better bargain?  I mean, at a VERY quick glance a Fusion sort of resembles an Aston.

Yeah, I'll shut up, go back to my room, and re-think my taste and buying habits when it comes to cars.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/8/21 1:22 p.m.

In reply to Carsandbikes :

Yes. Your heart won’t break and that’s gotta be worth something.

j_tso
j_tso Reader
5/8/21 1:35 p.m.

Friend of mine had a Vantage for a while and said cops were the nicest to him with that car when pulled over for speeding.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/21 1:42 p.m.

A few bucks less than the DB5 does.

Like "GDP of a small country" few bucks less.

For the price of a new Supra you could buy the $25k 3 car dream car garage of two GRMers and have some cash left over :).

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/21 5:01 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Damn can't even get away from tavarish on here 

Lmfao

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/9/21 1:02 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

I paid $48,400 for my 1995 Supra turbo new. 

thats about 90k today ... 

They're already climbing back up to that. So this headline could more succinctly read "For the price of *a* Supra..."

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/9/21 2:10 p.m.

Am I odd for thinking a Jag F-Type might be a better car than the Aston for about the same money?  Something about the V6 / manual trans / convertible F-Types has a certain appeal to me...

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
5/9/21 5:38 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Am I odd for thinking a Jag F-Type might be a better car than the Aston for about the same money?  Something about the V6 / manual trans / convertible F-Types has a certain appeal to me...

Having driven both, the answer for me was no.  The Jag was nice, no doubt.  But the Aston was amazing.  My only problem with the V8 Vantage is it makes me want a V12 Vantage, and those have NOT depreciated.  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
5/9/21 6:11 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

My Supra worth about $180k today 

Mr2's worth about $35 k 

my 87 gts has 68k origInal miles - I would say worth 35k - but with this thread probably worth 50k 

that said - like my properties - my personal collection not for sale - so it's money on paper. Irrelevant to my enjoyment really. Fun to watch :) 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/9/21 6:20 p.m.

In reply to Flynlow (FS) :

Have you tried the F-type R?

Lawd

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bGA35r9g5Z57ydYM3KLJr4utPdRPPoVm9CsxtIUJUoyQ3usbYOhRvpXrmIfcGNP0