Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/2/22 12:02 p.m.
feature_image

Excited to go to SEMA this year? Ford and Honda don’t seem to be interested in going.

In a recent announcement, SEMA confirmed that a number of car makers–Chevrolet, Hummer, GMC, Toyota, Lexus and Nissan–have plans to return to the 2022 event with larger and more enriching exhibitor displays, yet Ford and Honda have apparently decided to skip the event: …

Read the rest of the story

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/22 12:10 p.m.

Ford disappearing will have a big visual effect on the main hall, they had a very prominent display right in the middle of the main traffic flow. Honda less so as they were tucked into a corner. But the SEMA show is a show put on by the aftermarket, so losing the OEs isn't really critical honestly. The OEs didn't bring anything too fundamental to it. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
5/2/22 12:17 p.m.

I think Ford has enough orders of F150 and Lightning PU

I wonder if this is a one time thing or a change in direction.....

Keith Tanner
5/2/22 9:52 p.m.

I just realized that Ford basically owned the outdoor area. It was all screaming Mustangs and off-roading Broncos. That'll make a huge difference to the spectacle. 

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/2/22 10:14 p.m.

Might actually show a bit of sense.   If you are selling everything you can produce at top dollar.  And you are facing supply chain issues and rapid inflation.  Tighten the belt and keep the stockholders happy.  

Many are trying to figure out new marketing strategies in the new EV environment.   

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/3/22 7:58 a.m.

Ford's booth was one of the best there last year, IMO. The slammed Maverick was definitely in my top 3.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
5/3/22 10:13 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Ford disappearing will have a big visual effect on the main hall, they had a very prominent display right in the middle of the main traffic flow. Honda less so as they were tucked into a corner. But the SEMA show is a show put on by the aftermarket, so losing the OEs isn't really critical honestly. The OEs didn't bring anything too fundamental to it. 

When I first heard this, I was like "Isn't this a show put on by the aftermarket?" Always stinks to lose big manufacturers but life will go on. 

jeffpdesign
jeffpdesign New Reader
5/3/22 6:55 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I just realized that Ford basically owned the outdoor area. It was all screaming Mustangs and off-roading Broncos. That'll make a huge difference to the spectacle. 

"Ford out Front" was always an attraction and promoted the Ford brand nicely. I'll miss that. Always nice to get off the carpet and get some fresh air (filled with tire smoke)  We'll see if the other big car manufacturers backfill.

Keith Tanner
5/3/22 7:09 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:
Keith Tanner said:

When I first heard this, I was like "Isn't this a show put on by the aftermarket?" Always stinks to lose big manufacturers but life will go on. 

It's been pointed out to me that I was mistaken - Ford does indeed sell aftermarket parts from crate engines to performance parts to styling bits. So they did have some justification in being there.

What will be interesting is if they decide to come back next year. Every exhibitor I've spoken to has told me that your spot is based on your seniority, and if you give it up for one year you have to start all over. That's why the established brands like Koni and Edelbrock are near the center of everything and the little booths with one CNC brake caliper are all on the outside edges. Will SEMA give Ford their big spot in the main hall back again ? I'm sure yes, but they'll have to break their own rules :)

The show is supposed to be an industry trade show so that companies like Flyin' Miata and GRM can meet with existing and potential suppliers/advertisers and take part in industry discussions. Ford did have some input on some of that, they were panel members at some of the interesting talks. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
5/3/22 10:57 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
DirtyBird222 said:
Keith Tanner said:

It's been pointed out to me that I was mistaken - Ford does indeed sell aftermarket parts from crate engines to performance parts to styling bits. So they did have some justification in being there.

What will be interesting is if they decide to come back next year. Every exhibitor I've spoken to has told me that your spot is based on your seniority, and if you give it up for one year you have to start all over. That's why the established brands like Koni and Edelbrock are near the center of everything and the little booths with one CNC brake caliper are all on the outside edges. Will SEMA give Ford their big spot in the main hall back again ? I'm sure yes, but they'll have to break their own rules :)

The show is supposed to be an industry trade show so that companies like Flyin' Miata and GRM can meet with existing and potential suppliers/advertisers and take part in industry discussions. Ford did have some input on some of that, they were panel members at some of the interesting talks. 

It's an interesting move, especially given Honda's resurgence into racing in recent years. Same with Ford. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/3/22 11:02 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Yeah, for us, it's an opportunity to meet with everyone who supplies parts for our industry. At the end of the day, Ford Racing isn't much different than someone else who makes speed parts for Mustangs. Very surprised to hear Ford leaving as their presence has been massive. 

It sounds weird, but CES and SXSW are now more important events for OEs than SEMA. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/22 10:22 a.m.

I have seen a steady decline in shows over the years, when the big players pull out its often the beginning of the end. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/4/22 10:27 a.m.

Considering the hype behind the Mach E crate motor, I'm mildly surprised Ford ducked out. 

jeffpdesign
jeffpdesign New Reader
5/4/22 11:51 a.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Agreed. Blending more software/tech with hardware as a product. See iPhone/android. The hardware is fine, but the interface and software is the money.

CES has so much vehicle related tech now.

jeffpdesign
jeffpdesign New Reader
5/4/22 11:51 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

I have seen a steady decline in shows over the years, when the big players pull out its often the beginning of the end. 

E3

Keith Tanner
5/4/22 12:23 p.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

I don't think SEMA has declined much in the past few years. And Ford was an odd case - hugely visible with that stunt show going on outside, but not really a big contributor to the show itself. I'll bet their ROI was terrible, that Bronco ride along last year was amazing and hugely expensive to put on and kinda pointless. Better to just give away 100 Broncos to aftermarket shops so they can be used as show cars.

Honda was a bit player, really. Mazda dropped out of the show a few years ago and nobody noticed. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/4/22 1:15 p.m.

A side question ... Who is allowed to attend SEMA these days?  Anyone, or just 'industry related' people?

Keith Tanner
5/4/22 1:41 p.m.

It's for industry only. You have to show proof of employment (business card,etc) or be a spouse with actual proof of marriage. 

Still a lot of tourists get in, but you can't just walk up and buy a ticket as a random person. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sLtJuZFowBG7LaMjnlC95YJizwpa1bUjoAXq2WZxjvxet6EtU0iyRLLVy90T6RGY