1 ... 28 29 30 31
Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/4/22 5:43 p.m.

Christ prices are overblown right now. On Craigslist there's a couple of guys with reasonably loaded Mavericks reselling them with under a thousand miles: "great truck, I just needed something bigger" for a few bucks under 40 grand. My wife was just car shopping, and it seems that the standard dealer procedure for pretty well any new vehicle under 40 grand is: A - load it up with BS options, and B - add on $5k for additional dealer markup beyond MSRP. So that entry-level $22K vehicle you wanted? Let's call it $35K, forty by the time that you've paid taxes and everything.   

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/22 5:45 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

The accountant in our building bought a Maverick, Carvana offered him $5000 over what he paid for it.

And people wonder why the market is crazy.  Companies like that are vacuuming up everything so they can control the market.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/4/22 7:08 p.m.

My local dealer is selling them at MSRP 

dps214
dps214 Dork
4/4/22 7:20 p.m.

I checked out of curiosity, looks like all the ones listed at msrp are special orders waiting to be picked up. Then there's a few with actual prices listed and they're all ~$8k over msrp.

A local dealer here has an XL with 2k miles on it listed for ~$10k over msrp.

yupididit
4/4/22 7:24 p.m.

Nevermind. Only the XL's are sold at MSRP. The XLT and any trim above are marked up significantly  

dps214
dps214 Dork
4/4/22 7:43 p.m.

No, it's special order vs actually in stock - two of the ones with markups are XLs. For some reason ford's system lists every vehicle that goes through the dealership as "in stock", even if it's a special order that was never actually for sale to the public. Makes trying to do an inventory search basically impossible because you have to look at every single window sticker to see if it's a special order or dealer stock order. Interestingly, all of the ones that dealer has in stock were special orders that were abandoned...which might mean the dealer is trying to charge them markups too. Or it's just people that got tired of waiting, who knows.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/22 7:49 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

Accountant got his because the person who ordered it hated the wheels and rejected it.  He bought it at MSRP.

yupididit
4/4/22 7:53 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

When I was at this dealer a few weeks ago to get my Expedition an oil change they had 5 or 6 sitting on the lot. They're cute. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/4/22 8:16 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to dps214 :

When I was at this dealer a few weeks ago to get my Expedition an oil change they had 5 or 6 sitting on the lot. They're cute. 

If people leave them there, they will come back down to MSRP.  It's both greedy businesses, and not smart people.  It makes for a super high priced combo. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/4/22 8:17 p.m.

I'm on the Maverick FB groups, and the dealer markups are getting a little crazy. $5-10k seems to be pretty common, even for people who pre-ordered, so many are walking away from their orders rather than pay the markup.

Also seeing some going for MSRP, so it's a rather large YMMV.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
4/4/22 8:55 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

Christ prices are overblown right now. On Craigslist there's a couple of guys with reasonably loaded Mavericks reselling them with under a thousand miles: "great truck, I just needed something bigger" for a few bucks under 40 grand. My wife was just car shopping, and it seems that the standard dealer procedure for pretty well any new vehicle under 40 grand is: A - load it up with BS options, and B - add on $5k for additional dealer markup beyond MSRP. So that entry-level $22K vehicle you wanted? Let's call it $35K, forty by the time that you've paid taxes and everything.   

If they go order-only for 2023 like they say then I guess the whole thing goes away for people that order them at least, rather than ones that were turned down.

yupididit
4/4/22 9:51 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah and Ford isn't too happy with these markups from dealers. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/4/22 10:07 p.m.
yupididit said:

Everyone's doing it where I live. The $5K above is pretty consistent - defacto collusion. What galls me are things like the local Toyota dealer who took all the lower trim package rav-4s in his lot and had leather put on them.

In fairness, their volume is down, so to some extent they have to increase their margins to keep the doors open. It just makes me throw up a bit in my mouth when I see things like Subaru Crosstrek's going for high 30s. I mean it's a fine car and all in it's own way, but it's basically a pimped-up Impreza. If I'm going to pay that much for an Impreza I'm going to want a turbo and some decent performance gear in the deal.   

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/5/22 1:46 p.m.
yupididit said:

Hopefully this will destroy the dealer model.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/5/22 1:54 p.m.
BAMF said:
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

I am extremely here for a mini truck renaissance!

I'm looking forward to the Sawzall era of this renaissance. 

Already here, kinda.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/44759/bold-ford-maverick-owner-chops-up-its-inner-structure-for-minitruck-mods

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/6/22 9:55 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
BAMF said:

I am extremely here for a mini truck renaissance!

I'm looking forward to the Sawzall era of this renaissance. 

Already here, kinda.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/44759/bold-ford-maverick-owner-chops-up-its-inner-structure-for-minitruck-mods

Cutting a door-bed gap in a unibody truck seems kinda odd to me. But the guy owns a body shop so he must have a master plan. I do wonder if the "back wall of the cab" is the front of the bed though... 

...mere details. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/6/22 10:00 a.m.

I predict he's going for the "dancing bed" affect...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/6/22 10:06 a.m.

I think I have made up my mind that I am going to order a 2023 as soon as orders go live.

I'm half tempted to get the XL that yupididit posted above.  If it were closer I might just make a hasty decision during lunch one day...

In reply to ProDarwin :

August 16, 2022 -- Order bank opens for MY2023
October 24, 2022 -- Production begins for MY2023

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/6/22 12:09 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

August 16, 2022 -- Order bank opens for MY2023

August 17, 2022 -- Order bank closes for MY2023

October 24, 2022 -- Production begins for MY2023

Fixed it for you...

dps214
dps214 Dork
4/6/22 5:47 p.m.

So I test drove one today. Actually two; both ecoboosts - one lariat/fwd, the other XL/awd/tow package. I really liked them, honestly more than I expected to and I went into it hoping that I would like them. For reference, the XL was used with 2k miles on it, the lariat was new but had over 200 miles on it. Both were listed for $10k over msrp.

My conclusions:

It feels pretty small overall but looooong (which, in its defense, it is: <6" wider and <1' taller than the fiesta, but almost 3.5' longer). Sitting in it doesn't feel all that different from my fiesta st...until you look in the mirror. Between that and the high bedline the rearview camera is definitely useful.

Honestly it doesn't drive all that differently from the fiesta either. It's definitely softer but the handling is still pretty respectable, and the ride is definitely better (one dealership was conveniently located on one of the worst roads in the area so lots of ride evaluation opportunity). On paper the power/weight is nearly identical to the fiesta, and it felt about like that in reality.

The lariat interior color scheme is much more tolerable than it looks in photos but still isn't great. Heated everything is nice. That said, the XL interior is fine other than the stupid lack of cruise control. The cloth seats felt better than the "leather" ones to me but they might just have been more broken in. I actually like the basic gauge cluster of the lower trims better than the big screen lariat version. The screen itself is fine but it does away with the physical temp and fuel gauges.

The transmission tune is *fine* but seems like it's not the best thing ford's ever done. Though at least with the 10 speed it seems like they take a while to fully break in (or maybe it's a control unit learning thing) so it might be the same here. The new one did some things that my friend's f150 did when new but grew out of somewhere around 5-10k miles in, and the used one seemed to already be working on growing out of it.

Honestly my biggest annoyance was the engine noise. Not that the four cylinder ecoboosts ever sound particularly good but ford managed to make only the worst parts of the engine note apparent from inside the vehicle.

I'm still not sure how I feel about awd vs fwd. Awd is certainly better but I'm not sure it's worth the >10% price premium. Fwd can't take full throttle in a straight line but with TC on it doesn't really seem to hamper performance and is oddly entertaining/endearing in a way. Kind of makes it feel like I'm back in the fiesta I guess. Awd will take whatever you give it even on wet roads. Awd stability control felt more aggressive but that could have just been because the roads were wet. I couldn't really tell a ride or handling difference from the awd's better rear suspension.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/6/22 6:04 p.m.

Wow.  $10k over MSRP kills the whole affordable vehicle thing that this rig is supposed to represent.  Yet I suppose somebody will still buy them at these prices.  Crazy.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/6/22 6:18 p.m.

A good article on adding Cruise Control to the XL Maverick. 

https://www.theautopian.com/how-to-fix-the-base-ford-mavericks-biggest-problem-for-175/

dps214
dps214 Dork
4/6/22 6:30 p.m.
einy (Forum Supporter) said:

Wow.  $10k over MSRP kills the whole affordable vehicle thing that this rig is supposed to represent.  Yet I suppose somebody will still buy them at these prices.  Crazy.

Yeah, we'll see how that works out for them. I think both of those have been sitting around for a while. In the defense of one dealer, it sounds like they may have bought the new one from another dealer for at or over msrp, so they're likely not getting all of that $10k back. The sales manager said he had tried to buy five more of them earlier that day but the selling dealer wanted $9k over for them. I'd be curious to know what the trade in value on the used one was, I imagine it was at least close to msrp. Honestly if someone local had one built exactly how I wanted it I'd be willing to pay a small markup, but nowhere near $10k. More like $1k.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/6/22 8:07 p.m.
dps214 said:

I'm still not sure how I feel about awd vs fwd. Awd is certainly better but I'm not sure it's worth the >10% price premium. Fwd can't take full throttle in a straight line but with TC on it doesn't really seem to hamper performance and is oddly entertaining/endearing in a way. Kind of makes it feel like I'm back in the fiesta I guess. Awd will take whatever you give it even on wet roads. Awd stability control felt more aggressive but that could have just been because the roads were wet. I couldn't really tell a ride or handling difference from the awd's better rear suspension.

I can't find the article, but I saw something somewhere about the AWD version getting a tune and losing something like a second or more from the 0-60 times.

1 ... 28 29 30 31

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iGx8Grcam7xguCx0wuWpQ0dqeHD9ueiAgvzhpn3t0RzlJC0CWs2vdcLxePw4Xdha