preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/24/22 9:34 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Damn.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
7/24/22 9:51 p.m.

Bought it with 200k miles in 1999 and have had it ever since. Has lots of miles now, but don't see it ever going anywhere. it has been several different colors and had too many sets of wheels to remember.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
7/24/22 9:59 p.m.

If I were to have a forever car, it is probably this one, for a variety of reasons.  

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
7/25/22 12:32 a.m.

Lots of cars have come and gone but I will always have a 55 Thunderbird. It just is my favorite car of all time. Its about the longest relationship I have ever had with a physical object that is not a instrument. 

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
7/25/22 12:39 a.m.

It's nothing special, but for multiple reasons I do plan on keeping this car forever. 

The emotional reasons: 

• This is my first new car. Bought it with 10 miles on the clock, 5 of them were from my test drive.
  • This is the car I started my post-college life with. It's been one of the only constants since then. 

The hard reasons: 

• I've flogged this thing so hard on track and replaced so many OEM components (that I've tried to keep but decided to toss) that I simply will not get my money back if I sell it. 
c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
7/25/22 1:00 a.m.

Bought this last November after looking 2+ years for a clean stock FD. I feel like I have so much time into it now, there is no way I'm selling it anytime soon. It is also, well, awesome.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/25/22 1:37 a.m.

18 years with this one and it's probably not going anywhere.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
7/25/22 7:11 a.m.

I thought the 1970 Fiat 124 Spider I restored would be a forever car. I restored it not too long out of high school (had another while in high school, but it was a rust turd) and owned it for 23 or so years. One day I was working on something minor and realized there was nothing new to learn with it. I'd touched about everything on it. As it was a hobby car, it just sat in the garage most of the time. I sold it not long after and have never regretted moving on to other things.

However, as time has changed and cars have become hopelessly complex and expensive my daily driver situation has become a case of 'forever car'.

Paid for. Never get tired of looking at it. Love driving it. If it got totaled I'd just find another. As long as my aging self can get in/out of it's low seats I'll drive one of these.

My hobby cars are still changing with frequency, though I think the 1966 Falcon project will be around for many years. It may be the last 'project' as I think I'm more likely to buy nice drivers from here on out.

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
7/25/22 8:37 a.m.

I seem to like to try new/different cars which means nothing sticks around long term. I bought my 350Z  with the intent of it being a forever car. Loved it...but over the 5 years I owned it everything kept getting faster and faster. Felt like I was wringing it out to not get smoked by minivans. So, I decided to sell it and get something faster in a couple years. 5 years later I've got 3 kids, and a Sienna and a Armada. The Armada is a year away from being the most modified, longest standing car in my garage. 

I should have kept the Z. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
7/25/22 8:49 a.m.

I keep owning mid engine Toyotas- I'm on my 4th MR2 now and whenever I don't have one I still sort of want one.  The ultimate solution to this may be an Evora 2+2 since it's got the V6 I want, located in the right place, hopefully can't really rust, and has a back seat suitable for a medium sized dog, but I'm also not sure it's possible to keep a Lotus going forever even if it is Toyota powered.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/25/22 9:17 a.m.

My  93 Civic I am pretty sure is a forever car. I have had it for 11 years now. Currently undergoing a lot of work and I really really can't see myself selling it.

Maybe my Element but if something electric comes along that offers the same practicality I don't know if it will stay unless e-swaps become more common and easier. Then it might. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/25/22 9:20 a.m.

My '90 Miata, vin #8869.  Stripper model, no AC, no PS, no lsd.  Bought used in May '93.  Set up for Stock Autox and '94 its first season.  Aside from tires, still on the same set up.  Bought with 38k miles.  Just rolled 101k this summer.

For the winter storage, the car sits on some Kuhmo v-tread tries from '00 and some '96 M-edition wheels.  Needs a new top--factory original.

8 way GABs circa 1994 are still in action.  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/22 10:05 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

That is really cool!!!!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/22 10:06 a.m.
frenchyd said:

60 years and counting. 

That needs to come out of hibernation more. I love the color combo!!!!    

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/22 10:26 a.m.

Maybe the reason I haven't had many cars is that every car I buy (not counting a parts car) is a potential forever car. The Samurai, I think I'll keep forever as an offroad toy and island runabout:

The AE92 is still good forever car material:

The best argument for selling it is that I can't use it for much of the year these days and it has basically the same role as the 86, which has access to way more tracks:

If anything replaces the 86, it would have to be an AWD EV sports car.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/25/22 10:33 a.m.

Until 10 years ago I always lived in the rust belt so a forever daily driver wasn't really practical.  I get attached to vehicles and tend to keep them for a long time but eventually the rust would get to the point where repair would require that the vehicle be down longer than I could tolerate or would be so expensive that it wasn't practical.

If I continue to live in the Southwest my current RAM truck may very well be a forever vehicle.  This picture also has the F250 it replaced.

I had the F250 for 18 years and 280k+ miles.  I loved that truck but the rust on the exhaust manifolds and cab had gotten to the point where it would have to be down for quite a while to repair.  The woman who bought it loves it just as much as I did and it now has 330k miles on it.

I do have a forever motorcycle.  Here's a picture from '88 when I bought it.

Here's one from 2020.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
7/25/22 10:55 a.m.

I've had my '98 e36 M3/4/5 for 21 years now. I expect I'll be dead within the next 21 years so I may sell it some day.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
7/25/22 11:14 a.m.

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/NOTATA/a/195ca599-f3de-4580-a4cc-d55daa8db651/p/12a61e3b-5637-480b-bad9-f13387d932b5][/URL]

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/25/22 12:17 p.m.

Bought brand new and cant think of another car id replace it with at this point. Hyundai has gotten close to charming me away but alas, it will never be.

2015 Ford Fiesta ST

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/22 6:33 p.m.
NOT A TA said:

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/NOTATA/a/195ca599-f3de-4580-a4cc-d55daa8db651/p/12a61e3b-5637-480b-bad9-f13387d932b5][/URL]

I've loved that car ever since you first posted it.  Everything about it except those sidepipes.  It's like Sofia Loren in her prime but with a mustache.

wink

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
7/25/22 11:47 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:
Tom1200 said:

It would appear so; 38 years and counting.

"...DI UNA.." is technically correct but "...D'UNA.." would work a lot better and sounds a lot less stuffy and formal.

wink

Well Alex Gelsimino (Ken Block's navigator) was the one who translated it into Italian for me........and seeing as it's his first language I went with it.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/26/22 12:17 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Amen to that, Brother!

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/26/22 12:20 a.m.
gunner (Forum Supporter) said:

I had no plans for it but at 21 years and counting I see no reason to get rid of it now. Bought new in 2001 with 3 miles on it. Now has 235,000 miles on it and the best mod was koni yellows in 2006 followed by a bluetooth head unit in 2019.

As with most modern cars, I gotta ask. What is that? 
At first I thought Camry, but is better looking than that!

Looking reall good for the mileage. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/26/22 12:27 a.m.

In reply to APEowner :

OMG! I had to do a double take. Other than the white jeans, and tennis shoes, I thought that was me, in 86, 87!

Sadly, you've aged better than me!!!

More into choppers,  but didn't wear the official uniform, and had a few ricers as well. Nothing as bad azz as that. Glad she's still around for ya!

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/26/22 12:47 a.m.

Bought my first car in 79. By 84 I'd had a couple dozen, not including a dozen or more parts cars and pickups. $50 to 200 for parts,cars or pickups. For drivers,all less than 2grand - most less than a grand. A few DD cars for a couple bills. 
Same trends, with higher prices and nicer stuff after that. The first thing I ever bought, that was not for sale, at ANY price, was:

my 48 Ford F6 COE (F6= 2 1/2 ton COE is cab over engine - I've had folks try to get snotty if I don't explain, others if I do!)

bought in late 98 to tow my camper )66 Airstream at the time.) around the country to contract jobs.  DD for two years. 7 states. Driven around VA for 4 years after that.

Prolly never get to drive that again, but it's still around. 

Prolly have some 03 or newer Panther platform around the rest of my life, but doubt it would be the same one. Mine runs great, but is driven way to much to last, unless I die too young. 
Wanted to put my wife in the Lincoln Panther, but the 94 Roadmaster might be her forever,  if traffic idiots allow her to! 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fvgsb9K6AsjYbIglqnCkEmYEUl9iPvCHd6L4j6aN19qaXS3H8q0iJ5ft2bfWH2at