New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/28/21 2:12 p.m.

In reply to newold_m (Forum Supporter) :

Cool video!

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
11/29/21 7:43 a.m.

I hope Ms Claire Harris got all this time away from F1 to just enjoy family time with Sir Frank Williams. 

He did some good work getting his little team to the top of F1 and making it a special place akin to Ferrari for drivers to aspire to drive for. 

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
12/4/21 12:26 a.m.

So no comments yet about the new track?

It seems like it will be very tough to qualify. Maybe the race director needs to set a more stringent minimum speed rule for this track. 

Curious how 3 drs zones will help with any passing. 

Like Qatar, I can't tell what to expect on Sunday. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/4/21 6:38 a.m.

I sure wonder how many red flags there will be this morning.   The potential is there for some carnage.  Getting a banker lap in early might be wise, unless it puts you into the back part of the field as you are finishing.  There is bound to be some hurt feelings somewhere in quali.

That track doesn't look like a street course, other than the huge high fences.  Smooth, and gloriously fast, some banked corners, and high grip.  I wonder whether it was built with the race track idea formed, when they laid out the streets?  Apparently Montreal was laid out that way, maybe without permission or knowledge of the higher ups in the city.

paul_s0
paul_s0 Reader
12/4/21 9:34 a.m.

Yep I reckon there's gonna be some issues in quali.  The speed differential between slow and hot laps looks scary in places with limited visibility.  Leclerc showed what can happen quite easily.  Doesn't look like there's much to choose between Hamilton and Verstappen, I reckon it'll all come down to luck with traffic/flags.

bruceman
bruceman Reader
12/4/21 9:53 a.m.

Wish they would change to individual car qualifying to avoid these near misses.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
12/4/21 10:17 a.m.

This track feels like the race is going to be decided by qualifying and pit stop blunders... possibly also by the carnage potential of all the blind corners.

It looks like a fun track to drive on and a miserable track to race on.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
12/4/21 12:17 p.m.

What a shock, a slap on the wrist for Lewis.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/4/21 12:50 p.m.
SnowMongoose said:

Whereas the source of the problem (as seen by the stewards)- the team got penalized quite a bit.  They didn't tell him all that quickly.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/4/21 12:56 p.m.

Odd track.  It seems that for some of the cars, the times drop off between sessions, and then come back again at the end.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/4/21 1:02 p.m.

Crap, what a bad way to end the session.  Max was flying.  

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/4/21 1:03 p.m.

He had it in the bag and threw it away, not how you win a championship.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/4/21 1:04 p.m.

Bottas came through too, I thought it could be Lewis with 4 Red Bulls on him with Valteri behind coming into Qualy.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/4/21 1:12 p.m.
adam525i said:

Bottas came through too, I thought it could be Lewis with 4 Red Bulls on him with Valteri behind coming into Qualy.

Max screwed the team more- with Perez losing a chance to pass Valteri, let alone now being in 5th.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
12/4/21 1:16 p.m.

That's rough for Max... if he beats the Mercs tomorrow he'll definitely have earned it.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
12/4/21 1:29 p.m.

What an incredible lap Max was putting in!!!!! It was almost awesome...

We will see how the start goes. Not sure if Bottas can stay second but this is the best he can do so far.

Exciting qualifying. 

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
12/4/21 1:33 p.m.
MrFancypants said:

This track feels like the race is going to be decided by qualifying and pit stop blunders... possibly also by the carnage potential of all the blind corners.

I think after watching qualifying that passing will be more possible than I thought. But as with the support races VSC and SC are very likely. Just that the last corner is just too tight on exit to me. These cars probably don't even have the steering angle to make the corner side by side. 

I guess we will find out tomorrow!

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
12/4/21 1:39 p.m.
alfadriver said:
SnowMongoose said:

Whereas the source of the problem (as seen by the stewards)- the team got penalized quite a bit.  They didn't tell him all that quickly.

There is a difference between an actual stalled car on track and appropriate yellows in qualifying. Versus no incident on track and a yellow light for less than a second in FP3. 

Horner should be complaining about the course workers again and even the stewards on behalf of MB today. As he loves blaming others for..well just about anything he can. He can make it his new side business, professional blamer. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/4/21 2:03 p.m.

I was watching Maxes lap, and I was thinking that it would be pole or the wall.  He was really using it all.  

Another Max mistake for the talking heads this winter if Lewis wins it all.

Any word on a gearbox change/ penalty for Max?  It took a pretty good smack...

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/4/21 2:04 p.m.
Advan046 said:
alfadriver said:
SnowMongoose said:

There is a difference between an actual stalled car on track and appropriate yellows in qualifying. Versus no incident on track and a yellow light for less than a second in FP3. 

Horner should be complaining about the course workers again and even the stewards on behalf of MB today. As he loves blaming others for..well just about anything he can. He can make it his new side business, professional blamer. 

From what I've read, the yellow light that was on for a second was behind Hamilton and thus didn't apply to him.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/4/21 2:12 p.m.
Advan046 said:
MrFancypants said:

I think after watching qualifying that passing will be more possible than I thought. But as with the support races VSC and SC are very likely. Just that the last corner is just too tight on exit to me. These cars probably don't even have the steering angle to make the corner side by side. 

I guess we will find out tomorrow!

It would be interesting if there is any passing.  But that start straight is so short that the start will totally be up to how good of grip they get.   And while there may be SC or VSC's tomorrow, I see that only really affecting pit stops.  So luck of position to when the wreck happens may be the biggest part of the race.

As for the track- not a fan.  It's a flat tunnel of concrete barriers.  At least Monaco has cool buildings they are going around as well as a lot of elevation changes.  This is not all that interesting other than the high speed.  My gut tells me that passing will be really tough because of the high speed sweeping corners of the track- as they won't be able to be within 2 sec of the car in front for most of the race.  The one thing we do know is that the penalty for missing a corner is incredibly high.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
12/4/21 2:22 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Well Qatar had similar fast flowing corners and so drivers can be just to the side of the car they are following and stay close. But I think turn 13 will be the most likely challenge point with DRS.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/4/21 6:35 p.m.

Wow, quali was surprisingly gripping. Not a Max fan but I felt bad for him, he was flying that lap.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
12/4/21 6:49 p.m.

Love them or hate them, walls are more consistent at enforcing track limits than FIA stewards

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
12/4/21 8:06 p.m.

That Quali is why I love F1.  Everyone was on their backfoot having to make big changes to make it work.  Not a huge Max fan but he was definitely letting it all hang out.  Bummed to see him lose it but guessed something might be about to happen as he tapped the wall earlier in the lapnamd got away with it.

1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 99

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k8FIInD8CZSj4U735m54ttkRb3dntujwIpb5vtB02yqOEoKFK7gL1G0tkyPQVpyA