1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 93
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/9/22 5:26 p.m.
loosecannon said:

I'm just waiting for the real Lewis Hamilton to show up, or maybe this is the real LH but he's weighted down by the 4 watches, 8 gold chains and dozen piercings?

If he's on the podium I don't think they would care if he got a neck tattoo, joined the Church of Scientology and grew a tail. Now that he's not winning, it seems like jewelry and piercings are an issue. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
5/9/22 8:15 p.m.

Yo everybody.... yea o nay on DRS being allowed with the top two in 'close' pusuit with five to go?  IMHO I find it an abomination....iffen you can't get around on your skills/treads.....then guess what.....numero dos on the podium baby!! 

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/9/22 8:39 p.m.

This stir with the jewelry and the underwear... most people who have never raced probably don't get why this stuff is important. As one of many racers on this board, I can't believe Hamilton and Vettel have the nerve to make a stink about it. For crying out loud, F1 almost had a racer die in a giant fireball just last season. It's not like this safety stuff is just hypothetical, they have major incidents at almost every race. Tone deaf...

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
5/9/22 8:46 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

This stir with the jewelry and the underwear... most people who have never raced probably don't get why this stuff is important. As one of many racers on this board, I can't believe Hamilton and Vettel have the nerve to make a stink about it. For crying out loud, F1 almost had a racer die in a giant fireball just last season. It's not like this safety stuff is just hypothetical, they have major incidents at almost every race. Tone deaf...

Thank you kind sir............

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
5/9/22 11:14 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

I've always taken off watches and my ring.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/10/22 12:46 a.m.

Why are we pretending that wearing jewelry while driving a racecar is dangerous?  FWIW, for years I raced while wearing a titanium watch, but have never worn rings or any other jewelry (not that I wear any jewelry anyways).  I know the opinion is that metal conducts heat, but these guys aren't buying $20 studs from the mall, and their suits and helmets easily cost ten times what mine do.  Metals like titanium and platinum (which Hamilton claims to have) do not conduct heat well, and platinum is not magnetic in an MRI.

Twenty years ago, there's a pretty good chance Grosjean never races again (one way or another).  These guys are pretty safe now.. Time to have a little common sense here.

As for Vettel, his point was that he is an F1 driver (for a few years now), and he's quite capable of dressing himself without mom checking his underwear on the grid in front of everybody.  It's not like any of those drivers are buying cheap knockoff underwear, or thinking that nothing will ever happen to them, so they don't need it.  If they are, well... play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
5/10/22 9:19 a.m.

Ok I finally got over last seasons finale.

So I caught up via replays on all the races.

Lots of safety cars this year? I think every race had one. 

Great job by redbull to make a good low drag car. I think if Ferrari and MB get their porpoising fixed they will be faster than RB. But if RB can get more downforce they can tune they will still have an edge.

Albon, man he just needs a good team and car.

The jewelry thing and underwear is well intended and more a message to the intense European Fandom and copycat young racers. It is something they can encourage and set a future date for enforcement. This snap enforcement was just a dumb execution. 

Cars can follow well and race rather well. Everyone seems lost for tires so far. We again have fixed allocations (I think) so if your car likes hards, too bad you only get two hards like everybody else. 

Ferrari are solid and Bonnito is doing a great job. Sainz is having a very rough start but he seems to have these periods now and then. Still I am not sure he can handle Leclerc.

Verstappen and Leclerc have had some good battles. I think every other driver needs to be reviewing those replays as if others want to win they will have to race one or both of them. 

MB bouncing looks almost dangerous! Based on the team comments I have read, Lewis is trying more dramatic changes while the team is getting Russel settled into the team with some development. I think Russell's recent starts from mid and back of the grid has helped him so far. He knows how his competitors will act at the start. Not unexpected that Lewis will be more uncertain with his consistent mid pack starts. Lewis was known to avoid contact over the past 6 years as if he kept his MB undamaged he would be on the podium. Now he has to overcome that perception and get some midpack respect. 

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
5/10/22 9:32 a.m.
759NRNG said:

Yo everybody.... yea o nay on DRS being allowed with the top two in 'close' pusuit with five to go?  IMHO I find it an abomination....iffen you can't get around on your skills/treads.....then guess what.....numero dos on the podium baby!! 

I like DRS, but I understand many don't. The balance of DRS and variable battery use per lap allow for good racing. Even DRS trains are better than almost no on track passing anywhere all race which was how things were years (decades) ago. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/10/22 10:47 a.m.

I think this picture pretty much sums up Mercedes downforce issues...

Hard to say he's not pushing the car when you see a picture like this.  

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/10/22 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

Williams is a better training ground then Alpha, however Latifi has a way of making his teammates look really good.

It would be smart of Russell to push for more dramatic changes to plan for next year. This car may be out of time to be competitive, but next year he could become the second fiddle to Lewis quickly. Russell doesn't exacly have the alpha apporach of Max, Lewis, and a young Vettel. Jewelery is on brand on the Lewis political social media trends. Lacks the realism of Vettel picking up trash and wearing underwear over his suit. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/10/22 12:35 p.m.

Last week on Offtrack with Hinch and Rossi, they talked about Max and his new contract.  I can't verify this to be factual, but they said that Maxes new contract comes into play this year, which basically gives him a 50 or so million dollar bonus, because he still had two years on his previous contract.  

Apparently, Red Bull sales department could come up with no explanation, other than Maxes performance last year, to account for the extra two billion cans of Red Bull they sold...

Second little nugget from them, also unconfirmed, is that 41% of the Red Bull sold in the US goes through Las Vegas.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/10/22 3:00 p.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

I seem to remember there was a spot where pretty much every car was doing that if they caught the curb from the previous corner just right.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/22 3:50 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I've always wondered how close an actual connection there was between Red Bull F1 and the energy drink company. I suspect RBR is actually self-supporting.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/10/22 4:18 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I've always wondered how close an actual connection there was between Red Bull F1 and the energy drink company. I suspect RBR is actually self-supporting.

RBR is a customer of ours, and on a call last week they said what they've always said: The racing team's function is marketing for the drink company.

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
5/11/22 3:56 p.m.

There's a video somewhere on YT about the economics of Red Bull, the energy drink company.  I hate the drink, but the company puts on some pretty cool events.  I was always curious how they could afford it.  It's been a while since I watched it, but as I recall worldwide they sell something like 20% of the actual drink as Coca Cola does, but they charge like 10x the price.  And the cost to make is roughly the same as Coke.  So their margin is ridiculous.  I'm sure my numbers are way off, but that was the gist of it. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
5/11/22 4:09 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Second little nugget from them, also unconfirmed, is that 41% of the Red Bull sold in the US goes through Las Vegas.

This would not shock me in the least given the amount of drinking tourists do here. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/11/22 5:59 p.m.
Tom1200 said:
Streetwiseguy said:

This would not shock me in the least given the amount of drinking tourists do here. 

Ridiculous, yet totally believable. 

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
5/14/22 6:24 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

I guess how I understand it, despite how close Russell has been to MB F1 over the years they need some reasonable time to calibrate how he communicates about the setups. So with a difficult car they already have enough uncertainty. Hamilton time with the team has probably ly built that inside joke level of understanding when he said the rear right feels soft, 10 engineers already know what to start looking into. So stretching his envelope of setup options still provides useful data. Russell, they want to understand him as much as the car, so maybe Barcelona they can stretch his setup options as they have prior data. I think Russell already showed his merit when he stood in for Hamilton a couple years ago. So he is honestly fast, but Lewis I am sure just needs a little less bad SC luck and he will show his performance is better than Russell. 

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
5/14/22 6:30 p.m.

Redbull the drink.

I have tried it three times. All three times it was offered by someone trying to be a good host or friend and I chose to accept it. The only time I finished yhe can was when I was at a rallycross and somehow forgot my cooler so I had absolutely nothing else to drink. 

I just don't like it I guess. So I am astonished the company still exists! LOL

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/14/22 7:35 p.m.
Advan046 said:

Redbull the drink.

I have tried it three times. All three times it was offered by someone trying to be a good host or friend and I chose to accept it. The only time I finished yhe can was when I was at a rallycross and somehow forgot my cooler so I had absolutely nothing else to drink. 

To me, it tastes like warm piss.  Even when cold.  However, there is no denying it is good with vodka or to keep you awake for 4 hours.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/14/22 7:47 p.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

It's pretty bad, but the diet version is worse.  If anyone was wondering. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/14/22 8:56 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
Advan046 said:

Redbull the drink.

To me, it tastes like warm piss.  Even when cold.  However, there is no denying it is good with vodka or to keep you awake for 4 hours.

48 hours for me.  I had one.  Once.  Not recommended for someone who doesn't drink coffee.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/16/22 10:19 a.m.

Think about all the soft drinks that are available at fast food, not one of them carry RB. I have read they have some locks in terrorizes and smart distribution methods that put them ahead.  They know their market and from the sound of it their hiring process is rigorous CEO of Redbull Hiring

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
5/16/22 11:00 a.m.

Or ADD poster kids like me.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/16/22 11:06 a.m.

I detest the stuff, too. And when my kids were teenagers, every time we'd take them to the doctor for an annual checkup, the doctor would tell them to stay away from energy drinks, in addition to the usual stuff about avoiding smoking and vaping, eating healthy, etc. I thought it was interesting that they always specifically mentioned them. I guess it's a bunch of sugar and caffeine, so there's nothing good about it. 

1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xWGkgHaVPH4IRxBpdWaph8F70nly9XeJTPo8BHLFGEHtiFc7m0rIxyOrgI7MC8fe