1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 ... 93
rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
8/18/22 10:36 a.m.

Figured it'd be better to post this here rather than a new thread.  NASCAR is racing at Watkins Glen this weekend.  There's a new promotional thingy where they're encouraging drivers from other series to compete.  As a result, two former F1 drivers are competing this weekend.  Daniil Kyvat and Kimi Raikkonen will both be racing in the cup series.  Might be fun to watch.

-Rob

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/18/22 11:09 a.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

Kvyat has run a cup car before, just happened to see him spin as I switched by. 

It's too bad the swap can't go the other direction, but the closest we get is cup drivers in Indy cars. 

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/18/22 11:54 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

The latest experiment in that has gone uhhh, not awesome. I really hate to see it too. I would like to see Kyle Larson try it since he seems to be able to drive the wheels off of just about everything.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/18/22 12:12 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

Tony Stewart has been the most successful open wheel racer to go cup racing, the rest have mostly been ok at best, and terrible normally. Kimi was very unremarkable the last time he tried this. 
I really can't watch cup racing, but to do it at that level takes an incredible amount of finense, so I'd really like to see a young cup driver get a real chance at an f1 or Indycar ride. Heck Busch did really well at the 500's he attempted. 

But that will never happen, cup money is better than Indycar, and f1 will never consider cup racing as anything that will lead to a ride. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/22 12:19 p.m.

Kimi won't win the cup race - only one person can, and he's going to be adjusting to the car so he won't be at 100% - but I don't think he'll embarrass himself on a road course. 

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/18/22 2:08 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Agreed but Tony went from Indy car to NASCAR and then stepped back to Indy a time or two (I believe). I think Kurt Busch did it a while ago, I can't think of any NASCAR people that went to Indy (the cars not the race). 

Russ McBride
Russ McBride New Reader
8/18/22 3:01 p.m.

Quick brain dump of the first people I think of who have done both NASCAR and top level open wheel:  Allmendinger, Michael, Mario Andretti, Jacques Villeneuve, Dan Gurney, Danica, Janet Guthrie, AJ Foyt, all of the Unsers. 

There.  That's everyone.  :-)

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/18/22 3:26 p.m.

In reply to Russ McBride :

Unless you are talking about doing both at the same time Jimmie would like a word.. laugh

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/18/22 3:43 p.m.
Russ McBride said:

Quick brain dump of the first people I think of who have done both NASCAR and top level open wheel:  Allmendinger, Michael, Mario Andretti, Jacques Villeneuve, Dan Gurney, Danica, Janet Guthrie, AJ Foyt, all of the Unsers. 

Micheal? I don't remember him in anything but Indycar and F1. Do you mean his cousin John?

Dario also gave NASCAR a shot, but flamed out pretty quickly. You also forgot Montoya.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/18/22 4:05 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
Russ McBride said:

Micheal? I don't remember him in anything but Indycar and F1. Do you mean his cousin John?

Dario also gave NASCAR a shot, but flamed out pretty quickly. You also forgot Montoya.

Didn't Montoya hit the jet-dryer at one track once?  Yep, Daytona 2012... https://www.sportscasting.com/juan-pablo-montoya-lost-jet-dryer-daytona-500/

Region_Rat
Region_Rat New Reader
8/18/22 4:08 p.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

If only he had hit the pacecar too...

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
8/22/22 9:20 a.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

Didn't Montoya hit the jet-dryer at one track once?  Yep, Daytona 2012... https://www.sportscasting.com/juan-pablo-montoya-lost-jet-dryer-daytona-500/

Give the guy some slack, he had a mechanical failure that caused him to lose control.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
8/22/22 9:45 a.m.

Don't know if anyone watched, but he seemed to be running pretty good.  Race started in the rain and he passed around 7 cars within the first few laps.  With the stage racing, his team got him in early for tires and fuel and was running as high as 8th (actual, not waiting for pit cycles).  Kinda funny that I noticed the regular drivers were going way wide on some of the turns, well past the curbing, while Kimi seemed to stay more in line.  Couldn't tell if Kimi was finding a faster line because of less distance or his years of F1 were keeping him from going past the curbing.  :)  After another restart, he got bumped and slid into the wall.  Nothing he could have done, but it ended his race.  Would love to see him try again at some point. 

-Rob

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/22/22 12:33 p.m.

There was a post race interview with Kimi that had more words than I've heard him utter in one batch, ever.

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
8/22/22 1:06 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

There was a post race interview with Kimi that had more words than I've heard him utter in one batch, ever.

Yeah, Parker really had to drag it out of him. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
8/22/22 1:33 p.m.

Tech Talk: Fuel For The Future It bothers me about F1 is not using a alternative fuel. I understand they are using less fuel with the Hybrid model and its generating energy by motion. I still like the idea of them running Algae as fuel would be cool. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/22/22 2:00 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

One issue with algae fuel is that it's a pretty long chain HC- basically oil.  So it needs further refinement (cracking) to be useful as gasoline.  And according to the FIA rules, they are advanced fuels- to be less GHG than gasoline is.  

This more recent Formula one video says no new GHG emissions

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/24/22 10:13 a.m.

F1 is reporting that Ricciardo will be leaving McLaren at the end of the season. Not terribly shocking at this point. 

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
8/24/22 10:34 a.m.
alfadriver said:

F1 is reporting that Ricciardo will be leaving McLaren at the end of the season. Not terribly shocking at this point. 

Just got the email from Mclaren announcing it.  Wonder how the driver lineup will shake up.  Kinda hope he can find a ride for 2022.  Then again, I could see him trying other motorsports instead.

I wonder if that means Piastri is a lock for Mclaren?  Since they're going to court in October, I don't think that's a given.  If not, what will Mclaren do for that seat?

-Rob

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/22 11:30 a.m.
rob_lewis said:

Just got the email from Mclaren announcing it.  Wonder how the driver lineup will shake up.  Kinda hope he can find a ride for 2022.  Then again, I could see him trying other motorsports instead.

I wonder if that means Piastri is a lock for Mclaren?  Since they're going to court in October, I don't think that's a given.  If not, what will Mclaren do for that seat?

-Rob

With Zak signing every driver he meets, they have a pretty deep bench. They could always put Pato in that seat.

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
8/24/22 11:36 a.m.

Dani Ric is going to buy a Cup charter since he just got a nice buyout on his contract.  You heard it hear first. 

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
8/24/22 11:42 a.m.

I kinda hope Danny Ricky Bobby winds up at Renault again, they said they'd be happy to have him back. I wonder if the $15 mil Big Mac is paying him NOT to drive for them affects what another team might have to pay him TO drive?

Also, the "Audi buys Sauber" rumors are getting pretty strong now. Like it's a done deal to be announced this weekend at Spa. BUT.....what is Sauber doing for the next three seasons? Running Merc engines branded as Audi? Ferrari engines branded as Audi? Or staying with Ferrari nee Alfa engines?

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
8/24/22 2:00 p.m.
MiniDave said:

I kinda hope Danny Ricky Bobby winds up at Renault again, they said they'd be happy to have him back. I wonder if the $15 mil Big Mac is paying him NOT to drive for them affects what another team might have to pay him TO drive?

Generally, buy out agreements tend to have a clause stating that if the employee gets a similar job within xx amount of time the buy out amount is reduced.

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
8/24/22 11:47 p.m.
MiniDave said:

Also, the "Audi buys Sauber" rumors are getting pretty strong now. Like it's a done deal to be announced this weekend at Spa. BUT.....what is Sauber doing for the next three seasons? Running Merc engines branded as Audi? Ferrari engines branded as Audi? Or staying with Ferrari nee Alfa engines?

The answer is.........

Honda engines already sold to RedBull Powertrains branded as Porsche engines? cheeky

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
8/24/22 11:51 p.m.

I feel bad for Ricciardo, I think he may be done as unlike Vettel and Kimi, I don't think Ricciardo just wants to drive F1 cars. He is still trying to get a WDC and going to any team higher in the constructors championship seems very unlikely. We will see. 

1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uYvWUJU4ESC3idF84H4zq1um1UKBei6rqSOu67qZwyWpXxqXjrBxZIyDFz6sTvSl