TOZOVR
TOZOVR New Reader
7/15/08 8:40 p.m.

So a few weeks back a co-worker mentions he had a check engine light on and his '98 Integra was at the shop. I told him he should have called me and we could have taken a peek over beers....but the car was at the shop already etc etc. Turns out the car has low compression on one cylinder and was throwing a lean code. Code cleared and didn't come back. fast forward to this past Thursday...calls at 9am...car is doa on the highway, tow truck just came and hooked it and he needs a lift. Timing belt went. Tach went dead and car just stopped.

Trav walks over to me this morning and says, "I'm done with the Acura. get it off the garages property by Wed and it's yours....First pic is at the garage....second is my driveway LOL.

Not really sure what the heck I will do with this yet...LS?Vtec swap? B16 head? back to stock plus boost? Back to stock and flip it? Who knows!

RJ

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/15/08 8:41 p.m.

lisc plate should read..

Live

Die..

Then

Free...

nice score.

atlantamx3
atlantamx3 Dork
7/15/08 8:41 p.m.

$200X challenge?

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 New Reader
7/15/08 9:24 p.m.

sell it to me?

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry New Reader
7/15/08 9:28 p.m.

NH Plates.. nice.. where abouts?

TOZOVR
TOZOVR New Reader
7/15/08 9:53 p.m.

NH MAine border....I work in Somersworth and live in York.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/15/08 10:31 p.m.

I say back to stock, add boost. Enjoy the fuel economy when out of boost, have a blast when in.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/15/08 10:39 p.m.

Nice score, keep it simple yet fun.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
7/15/08 11:24 p.m.

A buddy of mine recently picked up a gs-r, very nice cars. And much better than the beater 2.3L stang he was bombing around in the past three years.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/15/08 11:49 p.m.

Damn. Nicely done. LS/VTEC makes a lot of sense after a broken timing belt.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/08 12:57 a.m.

I guess that is par for the course with a honda.. they need so little maintance, people forget about the biggies until it is too late.

nice score for you though

Luke
Luke HalfDork
7/16/08 1:11 a.m.

Nice score. For a while there I thought you were considering a Chevy 'LS' motor , which would be a crazy feat even by GRM standards. Then I realised it of course refers to the B18. Shows how little I know about Hondas.

TOZOVR
TOZOVR New Reader
7/16/08 6:11 a.m.

Thanks guys :)

Travis had actually done a timing belt at 95k and with only 138 on it he was planning on another in the next 10k or so...ooof

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports New Reader
7/16/08 6:56 a.m.

Wow.....timing belt should go longer than 43K miles. Sucks for him but good for you.

Some people have all the luck. Nobody ever offers me free cars.

mad_machine
7/16/08 8:16 a.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote: Some people have all the luck. Nobody ever offers me free cars.

I just got rid of a free car. It was an old 68 Caddy DeVille Convertable that had been rotting away in the garage I rent. After trying (unsuccessfully) to get a hold of the previous owner, the landlady told me to do what I want with it..

I got $575 for it at the scrap yard. I filled the trunk with all a couple of dead bicycles, all the suspension parts that I replaced on my BMW, and some miscallanious fiat parts I was not going to reuse.

As for you Teg with the mysteriously early dying Timing belt.. did your friend have the tensioner done at the same time?

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/16/08 9:53 a.m.

Those Cadillac pics make me kind of sad . . .

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
7/16/08 10:13 a.m.

you telling me that was free?? I see them on sale in the $1000+ range

TOZOVR
TOZOVR New Reader
7/16/08 11:09 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: sell it to me?

Trade it for an older motorcycle :)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/08 2:54 p.m.

WARNING: There is no such thing as a free ride.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
7/16/08 4:18 p.m.

damn dude you just scored an integra for the same price as the thieves of central florida do.

Central Florida = the worst place to own a Honda.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/16/08 4:30 p.m.

Great score, that's probably the fastest looking free car I've ever seen. Too bad looks aren't everything. ;) My dad works at a shop, he has had tons of cars for free or near free over the years. With scrap prices continuing to rise, they're usually in the near free window these days. Times are getting tougher for us deal-hounds, things like 24 Hours of LeMons, $200X, and BABE rallies are a lot tougher to bring to fruition than they were with car prices a few years ago. Just scrapping the converter(s), alloy wheels, car, and dumping the fuel out of a dead car into your car can get you from $250-$500 assuming you don't pull and sell any parts individually. That makes a free car that nice even more impressive!

Bryce

mad_machine
7/16/08 5:03 p.m.
ZOOMiata wrote: Those Cadillac pics make me kind of sad . . .

Don't be.. that car lived it's entire life at the seaside.. 40 years of salt air and possible immersion during flood tides had not been kind to the metal of that car. Even the frame looked pretty iffy

gamby
gamby SuperDork
7/16/08 7:00 p.m.
TOZOVR wrote: Not really sure what the heck I will do with this yet...LS?Vtec swap? B16 head? back to stock plus boost? Back to stock and flip it?

All good options. Back to stock and flip would be the most profitable. You'd probably clear a few grand after all was said and done.

A proper LS VTEC will cost a good amount of coin if longevity w/ high revs is your goal.

LS's love boost--prbably the best bang-for-buck option.

Too bad you weren't closer to RI--I'd buff/detail that car out and really wake it up.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4KEOlTn54Ry6kqIHuvbxpuR22ydMPF8sQ4DkAVVL7adbgHwihWb5FOuFP1h5wGhH