HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
2/24/23 1:00 p.m.

I am receiving a one year NASA membership and one free HPDE because I bought a new Toyota. What location in the mid-atlantic region should I choose?

• New Jersey Motorsports Park
  • Summit Point
  • Pocono
  • Lime Rock (may not be available)
  • Watkins Glen
  • Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course

I've done 2 HPDEs before, about 10 years ago. One was at Pocono, and one at Summit Point. Those are closest. I'm leaning towards a "new to me" track just because this is a little bit of a special event so it might be worth it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/24/23 1:09 p.m.

Totally make it an experience. Nothing against the others on your list, but Mid-Ohio, Lime Rock and the Glen are all rather special, famed facilities. 

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
2/24/23 1:10 p.m.

Mid-Atlantic? VIR.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
2/24/23 1:14 p.m.

The level and quality of instruction varies dramatically between the regions.  The Great Lakes region is head and shoulders above the rest and you will learn much more from them.  "Classroom" at Northeast and Mid Atlantic ends up just being point by bitch sessions, it's terrible.   So, I would suggest Pitt Race or Mid Ohio because Great Lakes region runs those events, and both are more fun than most of the other tracks you posted.  I say this as a NASA instructor who has run with all three on multiple occasions.  

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
2/24/23 1:20 p.m.
Sonic said:

"Classroom" at Northeast and Mid Atlantic ends up just being point by bitch sessions, it's terrible.  

Very true, it is bad.  

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/24/23 1:27 p.m.

Disclaimer:. I'm biased because I don't really enjoy lime rock as much as the others (the history is more impressive than the facility to me), but I would rank your list as such (note that there's no clear winner between these groups so I'm just putting my thoughts as Best to not-best).

Best:

• The Glen
  • Mid-O

Middle:

• NJMP
  • Summit

Not-best:

• Pocono
  • Lime rock

I agree with David, though, making it an experience, so with that, it's hard to beat the Glen to take a trip with some wine tasting, hiking, track day, etc.  Everyone in the party is happy :)

johndej
johndej SuperDork
2/24/23 1:27 p.m.
ross2004 said:

Mid-Atlantic? VIR.

This ^^

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/24/23 1:29 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Totally make it an experience. Nothing against the others on your list, but Mid-Ohio, Lime Rock and the Glen are all rather special, famed facilities. 

+1 on this idea.  If you're only going to do one event, make it special.

As for which one, I've never driven any of them (it's a long tow from California!) but Mid-Ohio is probably what I'd pick.  Watkins Glen doesn't have much runoff before the armco which I suspect would be intimidating in a brand-new car, and the track map of Lime Rock just looks less interesting.

dps214
dps214 Dork
2/24/23 1:35 p.m.

Of those I'd say mid ohio. WG is an awesome track but it's a bit higher risk for novices and might not be as fun if you have a low power car. On the other hand, if you're making a whole trip out of it, it's in a much nicer area than mid ohio is. Lime rock is really fun in sim racing but seems like it would be terrifying to be anywhere near the limit in real life.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/24/23 2:13 p.m.

In reply to HopmanJones :

Watkins Glen.   
 It's the start of SCCA racing.  Plus the track NASCAR runs at.    It should be on Every sports car enthusiasts bucket list. 
  It's long enough so you can let the car out and get some real speed. Plus  places where you can really feel what racing is actually like with plenty of room for error. 
  And the track good is pretty decent too!  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/24/23 2:15 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

Disclaimer:. I'm biased because I don't really enjoy lime rock as much as the others (the history is more impressive than the facility to me), but I would rank your list as such (note that there's no clear winner between these groups so I'm just putting my thoughts as Best to not-best).

Best:

• The Glen
  • Mid-O

Middle:

• NJMP
  • Summit

Not-best:

• Pocono
  • Lime rock

I agree with David, though, making it an experience, so with that, it's hard to beat the Glen to take a trip with some wine tasting, hiking, track day, etc.  Everyone in the party is happy :)

You got that right.   Same with  Lime Rock.  Which earns a big yawn from me. 

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
2/24/23 2:16 p.m.

I did my first one at the Glen, I absolutely love that track tho I never did get one corner right.....

Mid O is also a great track and fun to drive.

My first choice if it's available is VIR tho.....

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
2/24/23 10:36 p.m.

Dang. Fantastic feedback everyone! Sounds like Watkins Glen and Mid Ohio are the top choices overall.

VIR is an option but it was borderline too far.  That said, Mid Ohio is just about as far though. 

I did not think about the quality of instruction varying so much. As much as the Glen sounds like a great choice, I'm leaning towards mid Ohio especially if it's going to be a solo trip. I think my wife would probably have little interest being a part of the weekend even if the choice is the Glen and  it means a weekend in the finger lakes. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/24/23 11:22 p.m.

Out of those tracks (I've driven a d Raced on all of them multiple times), I'd pick mid Ohio followed by Watkins Glen and lime rock.

Pitt race is better than all of them and vir is better than that.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
2/25/23 6:47 a.m.

I've been to all of those tracks and Watkins Glen is definitely the best! The track and facilities and environment are great. (if you're into wine tasting and stuff)

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/27/23 10:40 a.m.

VIR hands down. 

“If there is a heaven on earth, it is VIR.” — Paul Newman

“The Lightning Lap on VIR’s Grand Course is the closest thing to Nordscheife ‘Ring’ benchmark in Germany!”  — “One of the Top 6 Road Courses in the U.S.A.”

“I think this is the most interesting and fun race track that’s been built in this country.” — Carroll Shelby

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
3/9/23 8:57 a.m.

Thanks for all the comments. The Glen sounds great, but for a novice with a brand new car it sounds like I should really consider either VIR or Mid-Ohio.

The comments about instruction at Mid-Ohio being a little better makes me think Mid-Ohio now, and perhaps if I get into HPDE as a more regular thing VIR would be the next place to visit.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/13/23 5:09 p.m.

Good point about the Armco at the Glen. Thanks to it, to be honest, I found the track to feel a bit tunnel-like. Still, it’s an experience. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ByXG7t9xrkPwRokoq0vtnSzthJdIZaX50iTTqNzC7yDwz7TXDrGkCAe2HDRX0TKG