John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/2/23 9:26 a.m.

I drive a lot and I'm m a long time XM subscriber.  Today I hear that they are doing the "free" promotion that they do a few times per year.  I did not hear how long this free period lasts. 

So, if your car receives Sirius XM but you don't pay for it tune in because it's now working. 

Just in time for road-trip season.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/2/23 9:53 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

and all my fun cars are off limits

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/2/23 10:01 a.m.

Just don't give them your name or phone number.  Sirius XM still contacts me from a free promo 5 years ago.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
6/2/23 10:40 a.m.

We bought a used car with a Sirius system and they somehow acquired my email address, and have been pinging me for months.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/2/23 10:50 a.m.

Free with a one time activation fee of $5, then they will call you all hours of the day from different numbers.  

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
6/2/23 6:51 p.m.
kb58 said:

We bought a used car with a Sirius system and they somehow acquired my email address, and have been pinging me for months.

They pay dealers for your information now if you buy a car (even used) that has a Sirius radio

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
6/2/23 7:53 p.m.

I got it for free (2 years) when I bought my new car back in 2020. I do miss it since it was easy to use in my car. The regular radio sucks. IIRC, it was $20 a month subscription so it was a huge pass for me since I am not in the car for long these days. Now I just use my iPhone with it's charging cord and connect it in the car's USB port. It plays any music from my iPhone through the car's speakers. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/2/23 8:02 p.m.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/2/23 8:17 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Glad to help.  I guess I could have helped a little earlier.  I see on their website that this free period is only May25 to June5 (3 more days.)  

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
6/3/23 8:10 a.m.

A good product ruined by horrible marketing. You have to play the annual "threat to cancel" game to get a decent price at renewal time. I tired of it, eventually.

wae
wae PowerDork
6/3/23 8:32 a.m.

When I took der Scheißwagen in for warranty work, they sent me a free some-number-of-days trial with a follow-up extra 90 days if I give them my credit card number.

I activated the first offer because why not.  I think I listened to a total of 30 minutes' worth and realized that I greatly prefer streaming music or podcasts.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
6/3/23 9:57 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:
kb58 said:

They pay dealers for your information now if you buy a car (even used) that has a Sirius radio

I bought a car week before last and I had an email from Sirius within a couple of hours of leaving the lot. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/23 2:13 p.m.

I used to actually pay for it.  When Sirius and XM were competitors it was a much better product in my opinion.  Then I discovered podcasts.  Often times if I have a rental with working sat radio I won't even bother to turn it on now.  

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/3/23 2:27 p.m.

I find Sirius XM gets repetitive and old just a few hours into a road trip. I let my trial lapse years ago and still get junk mail from them. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
6/5/23 9:58 a.m.

Only time my SXM gets a lot of use is when I get way into the boondocks on a road trip where cell signal and even terrestrial radio doesnt work too hot.  

Despite what cell phone companies want you to believe their coverage stinks once you get out of major cities/freeways.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ozSTp0DMBauvmH5uHB3hNfuzZ3Hk0941FAYzj2uGsHIuKDir3TxQ5C2vlHoxVbUR