David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/14/22 2:43 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Sunoco Race Fuels now offers E98.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/14/22 2:46 p.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

Blending race gas can be a crapshoot as you need to have a consistent level before you add a consistent amount. Back when we would drive the drag cars to the track we may even go as far as draining it all out first. But if you tune for pump fuel on E and 5gal of a 98oct unleaded race and always start with it under E you would be safe from a tuning perspective. 

Also, frenchy hates on methanol too much, it's amazing compared to the degreaser most cars run on

I'm not going to say too much about 87 octane "degreaser"  except there is a good reason cars are refueled outside.  
    But ethanol is typically drunk indoors and in moderation doesn't seem too bad. 
     Can't say that about fingernail polish remover, err methanol. ;-)

junkc4
junkc4 New Reader
1/14/22 3:31 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

i have oversized injectors for the application i'm running now but i'm not sure about my fuel pump the previous owners changed the fuel pump to a bigger one, the exact size i have no idea. But the tune i have now is around 180 whp with bolt on modifications on a otherwise stock b18c1. It seems to be on the conservative side for the motor and i haven't had timing pulled except for situations on track where outside temp is above 90 degrees 20ish mins into a session pushing hard. But my thought process was the fuel could have been sub-par which caused the timing being pulled which started this idea

junkc4
junkc4 New Reader
1/14/22 3:34 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

i saw that as well, i also am lucky enough to have a 100 octane gas pump 10 mins from my house too. So i have plenty of options, which one is i go with is the question. I'm realizing that asking this question is like asking "whats the best oil brand" it's started quite a debate on which is the better set up haha

sergio
sergio HalfDork
1/14/22 4:14 p.m.
Berck said:

Got it, that makes sense.  If the goal is to make sure you don't pull timing on the edge cases, mixing some unleaded race fuel is probably the simplest and safest way to go, but the stuff isn't exactly cheap.  I've also had good results mixing in toluene on an old detonation-prone motorcycle that really wanted leaded gasoline, but it didn't have a catalytic convertor, and I'm not sure if toluene is cat-safe.  On the same motorcycle I tried the various readily-available "octane boosters" which didn't do anything for the detonation, but did coat my spark plugs in some pretty foul red residue.

Toluene is what the 80's turbo F1 cars ran. About an 80% mix with rest being gasoline. And that gasoline wasn't exactly what you could get at the pump. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/15/22 3:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Sunoco Race Fuels now offers E98.

Wow!   I haven't seen that up here in the land of corn.  Since it's their race fuels I assume it comes in 1, 5, & 55gallon drums?  So you're paying for the container as well as the fuel?  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/22 4:04 p.m.

In reply to sergio :

"Gasoline" is a very nebulous term.  Technically the witches brew was 100% "gasoline" smiley

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
1/15/22 5:11 p.m.

In reply to sergio :

80% toluene is also how the AAR Toyota Eagle was making 800hp with 2 liters in IMSA GTP. It caused a bit of a stir.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/15/22 10:21 p.m.
j_tso said:

In reply to sergio :

80% toluene is also how the AAR Toyota Eagle was making 800hp with 2 liters in IMSA GTP. It caused a bit of a stir.

I have tuned hondas that make more that are still on gas(ish) cool

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
1/17/22 8:48 a.m.

We use Boostane Professional on some of the higher compression NA motors that we build. https://boostane.com/boostane-mixing-chart/ May be the ticket for you.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ljlDfmnaoS1Y0vexFvulP1cyJj8jPWnsQ4wQxn4lr6LE7ODec2ltJh70XokMtTd8