EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/23 8:06 p.m.

Just found this build on youtube, seems like someone that should be on this forum. 

I like the look of the custom body on it.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/23 9:06 p.m.

That's really awesome.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/17/23 9:34 p.m.

That is amazing. How safe are those Lotus type frames? Any photos of crashed ones out there?

Preferably where nobody died?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/18/23 9:32 a.m.

Love the greenhouse. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/18/23 9:57 a.m.

Youtube pushed this to me yesterday as well. Great looking build.

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
1/18/23 10:18 a.m.

Lotus frames are Pre-Crumple zone designs, don't crash one to find out.

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/18/23 11:45 a.m.

Sorta relevant, Swiss company Kyburz making an electric equiv to a slightly-scaled-down Goblin did a 'real' crash test.  Only 40mph, only a passenger dummy, "full frontal rigid barrier" (maybe?  all I know about crash tests I learned from Munro Live's tour of IIHS).  Nothing too exciting or unexpected (vid has English subtitles):

My untrained observations:

• even half-ass "that looks like it might help" structural design choices will help some, even w/o doing real simulation or testing.  Like the angled upper tubes at the front of the chassis which buckle exactly as you'd expect from just looking at it.
  • the steering column didn't spear thru the driver's chest (Wash in Serenity "I am a leaf on the wind..."), but the steering wheel jerking around still may do painful things to hands/wrists
  • no structural "A-pillar" or windshield frame + a rigid but not well secured hood = risk of occupants needing dental work or head-reattachment surgery
  • there is a reason NHRA provides details about their requirements for "securely mounting" batteries
  • non-stretch 4-pt harness + no airbags = lots of neck strain

The "eRod" looks kinda fun.  Blog w/ more pix and info.  On paper its performance bests a turbo Sprint in everything except top speed and range: eRod={60hp, 100lb-ft, 1300lb, 75mph} vs. tS={70hp, 79lb-ft, 1600lb, 100mph}.  But it is NOT cheap.

The off-road version looks like even more fun.

edit to fix the torque units

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/18/23 12:20 p.m.

I think that this build is great. And one of the benefits of grafting on a body is that it can cover up additional safety structure

A Locost/Lotus seven is extremely dangerous in a crash, but ones with proper roll cages and side impact bars will take a lot of punishment. I saw a Team Birkinsport car go into the wall (Not head on) at Sears Point at around 100 MPH and the driver was fine. There are videos of Locost race cars doing multiple tumbles and ending up with the driver walking away.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/18/23 12:51 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

A Locost/Lotus seven is extremely dangerous in a crash, but ones with proper roll cages and side impact bars will take a lot of punishment. I saw a Team Birkinsport car go into the wall (Not head on) at Sears Point at around 100 MPH and the driver was fine. There are videos of Locost race cars doing multiple tumbles and ending up with the driver walking away.

Yeah, just don't get rear-ended by a 3/4 ton pickup at a stop light...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/18/23 12:58 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

That applies to most of our sportscars.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/23 1:37 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

That applies to most of our sportscars.

That applies to anything.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/18/23 1:49 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

That is amazing. How safe are those Lotus type frames? Any photos of crashed ones out there?

A friend rolled his Birkin 7 into a ditch after trying to impress a passenger.  Fortunately, he and the passenger were more or less ok. Friend had a good scrape on his head and some scars to remind him of his stupidity (his words).   The car got tweaked, but he rebuilt it and still drives it often. Don't skimp on the roll bar.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
1/18/23 1:52 p.m.

Yeah, the question of "how well does a lotus7/clone take a crash?" Is like asking "how well does a motorcycle take a crash?" 

Try to avoid it, otherwise it's an occupational hazard. Full cage 7's and 7-esque cars - better, but still nothing compared to a modern car. 

That's a cool looking body, I'll add it to the Youtubes watch list.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/18/23 6:58 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
VolvoHeretic said:

A friend rolled his Birkin 7 into a ditch after trying to impress a passenger.  Fortunately, he and the passenger were more or less ok. Friend had a good scrape on his head and some scars to remind him of his stupidity (his words).   The car got tweaked, but he rebuilt it and still drives it often. Don't skimp on the roll bar.

BUT, the stories you could tell. Your remembrance made me think of the late PJ O'Rourke's chapter from his book Republican Party Reptile, How to drive fast on drugs while getting your wing wang squeezed and not spill your drink. If you have never read this masterpiece, you can find it HERE.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
1/18/23 11:57 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

Yeah, the question of "how well does a lotus7/clone take a crash?" Is like asking "how well does a motorcycle take a crash?" 

Try to avoid it, otherwise it's an occupational hazard. Full cage 7's and 7-esque cars - better, but still nothing compared to a modern car. 

That's a cool looking body, I'll add it to the Youtubes watch list.

Just remember it's a replica of a sports car designed in the 1950s. So it's no different then driving a vintage sports car in that regard. Get a modern car if your concerned.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
1/19/23 1:45 a.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

Just read it for the 2nd time in about 40 years. My Goodness!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pMR75gRkY70XFxdS0GUGn9CMqGubBlBpZ9s6EFnA7i4hggR98P8Oej1DGP1E7amk