1 2 3
akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
3/29/18 11:00 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I have never paid more than 10k for a car and still can’t.  Guess I’ll keep looking for that V8 pathfinder.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
3/29/18 11:36 a.m.

When I checked the values of the GX, they had to have over 200k miles for them to be around $10k, mine has 111k miles on it, that's what's driving the higher value...

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/29/18 12:01 p.m.

NSX is going to be tricky to get kids in the back.  If you're willing to relax that requirement though, a decent FD is in your budget... :)

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/29/18 12:14 p.m.

The most rational choice is E90 M3 sedan. Quite different from a track-prepped E36 M3 coupe, so I don't think you'll be as bored as you think.

The back seats in a 996/997 aren't realistic for daily driving with kids in the back. Think of them as jump seats for occasional use.

A Lancer Evo VIII or IX would really be fun, but your kids would puke all over it. The explosive acceleration, strong brakes, and harsh ride make it not-so-fun for rear passengers. Fuel economy is surprisingly bad for a "4-cylinder compact car." And you have basically no modern amenities: no SatNav, park sensors, auto climate control, etc. etc. (Not even cruise control). RS versions don't even come with ABS or air-con. As much as I loved my Evo VIII, there's no doubt A Focus RS makes more sense if you're in the market for a rally-rocket type of car.

codrus
3/29/18 12:25 p.m.

Golf R?  B8 Audi S4?  BRZ with an LS swap? :)

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
3/29/18 12:36 p.m.

In reply to LanEvo :

I've driven the E90 M3's and they've left me cold.  Surprising lack of torque, loss of HP due to altitude and remarkably crappy mpg.  I think I'd rather have an RS4 or an E39 M5 instead.

I've never really experienced the Evo's, so good info there.  I have had an '06 STi and I *hated* it!  It was great on track, but as a DD it totally failed.

My son would fit into the back of a 996/997 easily, my daughter wouldn't be so happy.  However it wouldn't be a car I'd be hauling the kids and wife in, most likely me and two kids and it'd do that fine, as my daughter would sit up front.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Dork
3/29/18 12:37 p.m.
docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
3/29/18 12:45 p.m.

I've been intrigued by those, there are a surprising amount of older GTR's rolling around Denver.  Not sure about the right hand drive tho.

What's parts/service support like for those here?

I've been thinking importing something that fits in the 25 year rule would be cool, like and Audi RS2 wagon, or an Audi S2 coupe.  Would be a little afraid to drive the RS2 tho, any damage to body panels would be a huge issue here.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/18 1:08 p.m.

ATS 2.0T RWD 6MT

codrus
3/29/18 1:11 p.m.
docwyte said:

I've been thinking importing something that fits in the 25 year rule would be cool, like and Audi RS2 wagon, or an Audi S2 coupe.  Would be a little afraid to drive the RS2 tho, any damage to body panels would be a huge issue here.

I vote for the RS2. :)

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/29/18 1:19 p.m.

You can get Boss 302 Mustangs with under 30k miles in your budget. Sounds like you'd have to forgo the rear seat delete option though.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/18 1:20 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I stand by my suggestion. 

BoxheadCougarTim
BoxheadCougarTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/18 1:42 p.m.
docwyte said:

I've been intrigued by those, there are a surprising amount of older GTR's rolling around Denver.  Not sure about the right hand drive tho.

I've driven LHD cars in the UK and RHD cars on the continent. IMHO the issues are overblown, especially if you don't also have to switch your brain from driving on one side of the road to the other.

What's parts/service support like for those here?

I think it's shaping up OK these days, but then again I've owned an R32 GTS-T before and worst case, know which UK vendors to hit up for parts.

... which is a very good reason to insure it with a place like Hagerty rather than a normal insurance company.

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
3/29/18 1:46 p.m.
docwyte said:

When I checked the values of the GX, they had to have over 200k miles for them to be around $10k, mine has 111k miles on it, that's what's driving the higher value...

The most fun daily driving BMW I have driven in recent years is actually the current generation 340i with the B58

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/29/18 1:47 p.m.

09+ WRX or STi. The backseats on these years are actually pretty big and my kids (and their carseats) have been in there plenty with no fit issues. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/18 1:51 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

Chevy SS?  Are they in the 30s?

automatics yes, manuals rarely but sometimes.  like this one in Utah for $37k

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
3/29/18 1:57 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadCougarTim :

Very true, I have my E36 M3 with Hagerty now, so adding another car wouldn't be an issue.  Just pinged a contact who imports cars to see about getting an RS2...

BoxheadCougarTim
3/29/18 2:19 p.m.

I'm not sure you could get an RS2 within your budget, but if you can, go for it!

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
3/29/18 2:20 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadCougarTim :

Yeah, I have no idea how much those are selling for over in Germany.  Figure it's another $10k on top of purchase price to get it over here and properly imported with paperwork.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
3/29/18 2:29 p.m.

We'll if we're getting absurd: A 2013+ Mazda 6 2.5L with a Corksport turbo kit. That'll get you a full size 300hp, AWD sedan with good driving dynamics. (This is secretly a plan of mine for the next winter car)

skierd
skierd SuperDork
3/29/18 2:43 p.m.

Why not a new WRX?

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
3/29/18 2:45 p.m.

I really hated my '06 STI.  It worked on the race track but was flat out miserable for the street.  Shock damping didn't match the spring rates, seats were buckboard uncomfortable, rode like E36 M3e, numerous rattles and squeeks in 5000 miles of driving, very poor interior quality.  

From what I've seen, Subaru hasn't changed any of that.  They still have issues of ring land failures on the STI's, oil pick ups breaking and factory tunes so crappy that your engine is in jeopardy.  Not a fan, wanted to be, but no thanks.

BoxheadCougarTim
3/29/18 2:50 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

They're cheaper than expected according to this: https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?dam=0&isSearchRequest=true&ms=1900;26&vc=Car

We're still talking 40k Euros+ though, although there's one around 30k. So that's already above your budget.

I think it'll be less than $10k to get over here and register it unless you have to pass smog and potentially look at expensive mods for that. IIRC RoRo shipping to the East Coast is $2000 (potentially less), plus customs agent ($250-ish) plus 2.5% import duty unless that's changed recently.

8valve
8valve Reader
3/29/18 3:24 p.m.

I 2nd the SS for used, I think the size is perfect.  New fwds I'd look at fost/si/gti/gli for small. Or rs/r for awd.

But if you're ok with 2dr for kid duty you sure got a lot of options.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/29/18 4:12 p.m.

997.1 there is no better choice. Easily purchased in the low-mid 30's.

Everyone should stop posting and let him buy a 997.1 now.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V1PGWWWHcm9U4R3xQ2wCLUa90n6xBBGJ0nLVNBWuaNXIbKgqXGLjX2Fpz257iUVp