1 2 3 4
alex
alex Reader
11/16/08 4:06 p.m.

Thanks to BringATrailer.com, I found this link to an eBay auction for an '87 AMG Hammer. Nice, clean car, all on the up-and-up, but what got my attention was a statement the seller makes at the end of the description. To paraphrase, 'these are the Yenko cars, the Hemi Chargers of our time...'

Not that I'd dispute a pristine AMG Hammer's place is collectability, but it got me thinking. What are the future classics from our generation of cars? (By 'our' generation I don't intend to imply any ageism. It's just that '80s cars are the generation that's starting to get collectible on a larger scale.) And I'm talking stupid-money cars, not little cult jobs. I could do this all day with bikes - and I'm building my fantasy stable of cycles to buy in the coming few years while they're at the bottom of the depreciation curve - but I don't have much input on the cars that will be revered in the years to come.

What are the cars that collectors will drool over? What will bring the big money? There are some obvious choices, any oddballs that you think are likely to set the auction block on fire?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
11/16/08 4:17 p.m.

Anniversary Edition Saleen Mustangs, Intact Cobra Rs, Dale Earnhardt "Intimidator" Camaros, Hennessey Vipers, Callaway Corvettes....

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
11/16/08 4:33 p.m.

My buddy has been offered 100k for his 8k mile Buick GNX.

TJ
TJ Reader
11/16/08 4:52 p.m.

I'm hoping that someday my Mazdaspeed Miata will make it some day.

Black Stig
Black Stig New Reader
11/16/08 5:08 p.m.

The original MazdaSpeed Miatas will definitely be there

The 10th Anniversary RX7s

An Unmolested TT Z32

I get offer's for the Bullitt that aren't quite believable sometimes

As ManofFewWords mentioned, the GNX will be a prized possession and to some extent, is already. I'd love to have one.

That's all I can think of for now other than going crazy with cars like the E34 and E39 M5, the E30 M3 and other's ^_^

-Dave

Duende
Duende Reader
11/16/08 5:38 p.m.

Probably add the plain-jane GNX cars, what are they, t-types or something? As time goes on and the mystique trickles down to them.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/16/08 5:38 p.m.

I have high hopes for my 96 Impala SS, but I doubt it will be big bucks. Just a nice affordable collector.

I think the 3rd and 4th gen F-bodies are too flimsy and "disposable" to be really collectible. The C4 is pretty cookie cutter, but I think it will be a really hot number in 40 years. The C5 might be as well.

I agree on the viper. I have a feeling the NSX will carry its cult following through to the next generation.

Will
Will New Reader
11/16/08 5:49 p.m.

Any Cobra R Mustang will be on that list, as will any of the new Shelbys. The 96 Corvette Grand Sport, any ZR1, any Z06, maybe the 02 Camaro SS/Trans Am WS6 commemorative editions. Ford GT, Viper Comp Coupe. Supra MkIV TT.

mrhappy
mrhappy New Reader
11/16/08 6:17 p.m.

2nd gen crx si and mk1 rabbit/golf.

TJ
TJ Reader
11/16/08 6:28 p.m.

I looked for a first generation GTI for a while, they're out there, not too expensive now, but a little hard to find a nice one.

I think it is funny/sad that the regular cars from the 80's are mostly gone. Either they rusted away or were crushed for scrap, but cars that were everywhere then are nearly non-existent now.

I used to have a 1980 Mazda GLC - where have they gone? Maybe it's better that they are mostly gone on second thought.

TJ
TJ Reader
11/16/08 6:29 p.m.

How about a MINI GP?

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
11/16/08 6:52 p.m.

Same buddy has two GMC Typhoons, Two near perfect Grand Nationals, and just picked up an 88(?) all original turbo trans am pace car. He has heard that the plug wires on that car are worth as much as two grand. Believe it or not I think this group with the GNX will go way over the million dollar mark in my lifetime. He has less than 150k in. I might add that the key to the value of alot of these cars is them being unmodified and all original. His trans am and the gnx are still on the gatorbacks they rolled out of the factory with.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/16/08 7:02 p.m.

E30 M3

Will
Will New Reader
11/16/08 7:03 p.m.
ManofFewWords wrote: I might add that the key to the value of alot of these cars is them being unmodified and all original. His trans am and the gnx are still on the gatorbacks they rolled out of the factory with.

Agreed. A few years ago at SEMA I got to talk to Craig Jackson (as in Barrett-Jackson) in depth and he said the first thing he did when he got his Ford GT and Shelby GT500 was to remove the original radiator hoses, belts and tires, preserve them and order replacements for daily use.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
11/16/08 7:05 p.m.

I disagree about the New Shelbys. Given 20-30 years, I think the Terminator Cobras will be worth more than the GT-500s, and Bullitts will be worth more than Shelby GTs. People are only buying them now because of the association to the old Shelbys. Certainly they'll be worth more than a plane-jane GT, but I think they'll be lost in the sea of special editions.

EDIT: and +1000 about the GNXs... I can't even find a running t-type out here for under $10k.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/16/08 8:40 p.m.

Buick T-Type was the base turbo car, Grand National was the Vader look, GNX was the king. All three will be future super-collectors.

I also agree with the anti-Shelby stance. The 03-04 Terminator Cobra with IRS outperforms the heavier Shelby GT500 at nearly everything. I see the Terminators bringing more money, and even the 03-04 Mach 1's.

Call me crazy, but I think C5 and C6 Corvettes, especially Z51, FRC, and Z06's, will bring big money. Why? Because right now they're actually being used. Nearly every one is seeing track days and drag racing, and especially modifications.

I also see RX-7's making the grade. 84-85 GSL-SE's with the 13B, the 10th Anniversary's, unmolested Turbo II's, and of course any FD. I think the biggie will be the S5 GTUs (as in GeeTeeYouEs, not plural GTU's, look it up).

With the popularity of LS1 swaps I also see unmolested 4th Gen F-bodies getting the nod, especially the WS6 package Trans Am's and Formula's.

My sleeper vote though is the original US-Spec Integra Type-R. I think that car will bring more then NSX's very soon.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
11/16/08 9:27 p.m.

I wonder about the 1st gen Neon RTs and ACRs, if one is well maintained, if only for the sake of surviving. Those things are getting scarce as is. But probly not worth much later on.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/08 9:37 p.m.

Dodge recently made a limited run of Chargers for the drag strip, factory specials. Those will be collectable.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
11/16/08 9:39 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Dodge recently made a limited run of Chargers for the drag strip, factory specials. Those will be collectable.

Chargers? I know they did that with the new Challenger.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/16/08 11:18 p.m.

No Chargers, just Challengers. They have no VIN and no title, they'll only be race cars their entire lives. So any value will be purely determined by competitiveness, and it's looking so far like that will be none. They are just too heavy for NHRA competition.

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
11/16/08 11:31 p.m.

They only made 547 GNXs. They were collectible when they were new!

Syclones and Typhoons on the list, definitely.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
11/17/08 12:49 a.m.

Definitely the ITR's. I think original pristine CRX Si's will go for good money too, albeit maybe not huge dollar values.

Maybe not Yenko values, but definitely need to watch:

Ford Lightning, both generations.

I think the police-edition notchback Mustang will be pretty collectible. It was the most sought-after body shape coupled with a package that was likely to be abused.

I can see the FRC Corvettes escalating beyond the prices of Z06's.

Among Vipers, the original blue with white stripes GTS coupes will probably be the most favored dollar-wise.

The FD RX7 has one of the best aging designs of the 90's. I can see it getting really good value, although the Supra TT may go higher, since it probably has fewer incidences of being stock. I saw one around town, with the original wheels, and it is quite simply a well-designed car.

There are a few vehicles, like the Lincoln Blackwood and Mercury Marauder that are relatively rare, but it's hard to predict how their value will move in the future.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
11/17/08 12:51 a.m.

And man, every time a thread like this is made, it makes me regret that I only rode in my brother in law's Grand National twice before it was stolen.

Luke
Luke Dork
11/17/08 1:09 a.m.

I suspect the FD RX-7 will suffer the same fate, (value-wise), as it's predecessors. I mean, 30 years on and SA/FB models aren't exactly breaking the bank. I could be wrong, though. The FD was in the 'supercar' league, while the earlier models were always strictly 'sports cars'.

Perhaps the new Civic Type R will become relatively collectible/valuable. It's pretty radical looking, and not all that common.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
11/17/08 1:11 a.m.

Or, as lame as it is, the Mugen Civic.

Or how about the Evo RS and MR? The RS is as close to the stripper performance model of the late '60's that we've seen in the last decade, and the MR of course has the flash.

Edit: And as I think about it, the Evo RS is probably what I should choose when someone asks "If you could have one car..." Subdued exterior, powerful, bare bones interior, four doors. Get it in white and it's truly a wolf in sheep's clothing. Someone buy this.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2Y01IHS78qAvanLffEQnuoOFi7Q4enZ9a3CRahHjGjA7AcnyXG3K3LdiSL97Jwa5