DavidinDurango
DavidinDurango Reader
8/14/11 10:05 p.m.

I have a TKO 600RR behind the 460 in my truck - if you set it up correctly it will be the best drive train you have ever driven.

Can't answer your chebbie questions, my Miata is Powered by Ford.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/14/11 10:14 p.m.

I haven't heard of anyone using a TKO, but we do have everything we need to install a T5 if you don't need the strength of a T56.

Typical wheels are the same ones used by high power turbo Miatas. You're limited by rubber choices, which usually means a 225/45-15 on a 15x8 or 15x9. Remember, good rubber is better than big rubber.

Functional AC is completely feasible. Of all the V8 cars, only three have not had AC: the first car, the Targa rally car and one we built for a Canadian. That means at least a dozen with fully functional AC.

I want a kit to install just the diff. It wouldn't be hard - we're only one transmission crossmember and a driveshaft away from making that a reality. V8Roadsters has been a week away from having one available for purchase for about 2 years. Give me an order for one, I'll make it happen The biggest problem is going to be the gear ratio. The shortest final drive in that rear end is a 3.7. I'd recommend something like a 3.4 or 3.2 with the V8, and that's going to really drag down that four.

Umm, you're on your own on the motor prep. Plastic bag and dessicant? Just ask your local machine shop.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington HalfDork
8/15/11 2:22 p.m.

FWIW, on your engine choices: they did make an aluminum-block 5.3 (the L33, i think, which are still a ton cheaper than the 5.7s, etc.). the 4.8s were all iron-block.

if (when) i finally build a V8 Miotter, the aluminum 5.3 might be the engine of choice:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0804_325_chevy_small_block_engine/index.html

460hp @ 6,800rpm? yes, please.

Keith
8/15/11 3:02 p.m.

I've got an L33 in mine. Defintely not as torquey as the 6.2 but it's fun. Interesting note - almost all of the LS engines share the same stroke. So the little engines are more undersquare than the big ones.

NineLivesJohnny
NineLivesJohnny None
8/15/11 8:45 p.m.

if i ever give up trying to "make it" racing i'll install the ac back in my car lol. tires are a big issue for me. the 225/45r15 toyo r1r hold up fine but the engine throws me into classes with guys with big sticky rubber. i got some plans in the works to fit some 275/40r17 under my miata. but we'll see if i can make it fit .

Keith
8/15/11 10:32 p.m.

If you're running an R1R, I'd suggest a 245/35-17. That 275 is a tall, tall tire at 25.6". I've done the work to fit a 255/40-17 under a Miata and it involved too many compromises in my opinion. Both are going to need custom wheels.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3oWRWJynF1cruUow7KYihiwTzsSljbGLvzpxuOirULJ2sEvrGZqlEz9xsMVNzMJT