racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/5/22 1:21 a.m.

The 'dramatic camera shots' at the end from the dislodged camera are very interesting.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/22 1:39 a.m.

Let's hear it for safety gear, folks. Yowza. Looks like he went up an embankment, violently rolled a few times and landed back on the pavement the right side up. Yes?

People have asked me if I plan to take on Pike's Peak. While I might be able to build the car, I couldn't build myself a set of testicles that would be sufficient to get me to drive it. It's a serious, serious race.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
7/5/22 6:25 a.m.

Damn!!  Yeah, I think I'll stick to my endurance road racing, where they have...you know...barriers and E36 M3. 

Like Keith said, I don't have the nuts for that one.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/5/22 6:41 a.m.

Wild ride. Pretty amazing testament to safety equivalent meant. 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/5/22 6:46 a.m.

It's amazing to me how fast these guys are going past fans that are standing mere feet away.  The guardhouse straight in particular.  Almost like no one learned anything about Grp. B.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/22 6:46 a.m.

Glad he stayed on the mountain. 

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
7/5/22 9:03 a.m.
Toyman! said:

Glad he stayed on the mountain. 

Quoted for truth. All crashes suck, but crashing up hill on a mountainside is far better than the alternative.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/22 9:53 a.m.

Yeah it was a much milder crash than the infamous Evo driver who was bragging about his cheaty cage before he plowed off the mountain, or the open-wheeler with the stuck throttle that went off into the forest...

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
7/5/22 3:37 p.m.

didn't Randy Probst have an off there last year /w the Tesla?  It wasn't nearly as scary as that but is testament that it can/does happen to anybody

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/5/22 3:46 p.m.

I have been up Pikes Peak at normal speeds. Let's just say that I don't do heights very well. 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/5/22 4:04 p.m.

In reply to ClearWaterMS :

Two years ago, and a few years before that, he made a GT-R fly.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/5/22 4:07 p.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/22 4:24 p.m.

Driving flat-out into fog and snow seems like a bad idea to me. 

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
7/5/22 4:33 p.m.

For a minute I thought he was going to take off running to finish the race... glad he's okay.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
7/5/22 8:58 p.m.

So as a young man I would have done the Isle of Man no problem.

I would never ever do Pike's Peak becuase I'm terrified of heights. It's so bad I struggle with pedestrian bridges.

Glad the driver didn't go over the side.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/5/22 9:56 p.m.

Glad the driver is ok. It does seem like some of those camera shots are a little too good to be an accident?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/6/22 2:06 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

Glad the driver is ok. It does seem like some of those camera shots are a little too good to be an accident?

I was just thinking that a drone pilot would have a hard time recreating those shots, but the wing with the camera attached just happened to break off that way...Looks like it's a 360deg camera so being able to adjust aim after the shot was taken helps.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/6/22 3:21 p.m.

I drove up in 1995 (?) and my wife shot these as we drove in our 1994 Chevrolet S10 Blazer.    The dirt road was intense and I was going up 20-30mph?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gV0vXbLyToST24XkUfcnBXHV6Rh2mCWltaQaHEn85804onwOOs2pxKqWYUMhzQpk