chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/13/22 11:40 a.m.

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/13/22 12:08 p.m.

Some amazing shops here!

My dumpster:

Moto fork seal replacement in progress, otherwise I have no excuse.  I actually need to shovel off the bench to make a clean area to work on the forks. 

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/13/22 1:27 p.m.

5 years ago I moved into a smaller shop, but didn't seem to thin enough "stuff".

Everything that is not bolted to the walls is on rollers.  I'm researching starting another project car so the other night I devised a plan to organize it better and toss some stuff.   

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/22 1:33 p.m.

Here's mine. I'm still in the process of moving in, unpacking and setting up.

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
7/13/22 1:44 p.m.

Not my shop, but my son's shop - I have intense shop envy as mine is just a 2 car garage stuffed with......well, stuff! Too many projects, not enough time or inclination to finish them when the fun car runs fine and doesn't need any work and I have two dailies that are also "needs nothing" cars.

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
7/13/22 1:51 p.m.

Here's mine by comparison.....

Gzwg
Gzwg New Reader
7/13/22 3:08 p.m.

1 Car Garage, so of course I squeezed 2 Cars, 1 Bike and a Scooter in

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve New Reader
7/13/22 4:11 p.m.

In reply to Gzwg :

I'm not gonna pretend I didn't look at your profile just to be sure, but I just wanna say I'm proud of myself for correctly guessing what was under the cover. What a cool car. I distinctly remember the Speedster and VX220 being the starting cars for NFS Hot Pursuit 2 and being confused why the game had two of the same car with different names and colors

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/13/22 4:37 p.m.

First thing I did when I bought my house a few years ago was roll a car into the shop. I've since added some benches and shelving but don't have current pictures.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/22 4:40 p.m.

I'm starting to realize that living in major metro areas is keeping from having the large garage/shop that I dream of.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/22 4:52 p.m.

So, are we gonna get an article on how to work in a cramped and crowded space from this thread?

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/13/22 5:31 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Possibly, but I have noticed a couple in here whose shop is not at their house. 

No clue if this would be viable, but could you combine a shop space with enclosed storage for cars/bikes while owners are deployed?

wae
wae PowerDork
7/13/22 5:35 p.m.
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to yupididit :

Possibly, but I have noticed a couple in here whose shop is not at their house. 

No clue if this would be viable, but could you combine a shop space with enclosed storage for cars/bikes while owners are deployed?

My brother and I go in together to rent a shop space that's 20x70 with heat, a 12x12 garage door, a small office, and a private bathroom.  There's no way I could justify it by myself, but splitting the costs makes it make sense.  I think you're absolutely right: find someone else to help pay for it!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/22 6:42 p.m.

In reply to wae :

I've tried finding someone to split space with, I've learned that my car friends are either cheap, well off and already have space, or can't afford it. 

I'm really looking forward to not moving every couple of years so I can build something for me. 

I thought about purchasing commercial space and leasing it, then use some of it for me. But, though I have enough cash for a down-payment, lenders don't like my enlisted yearly income laugh

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/13/22 9:10 p.m.

yupididit:  Did you tell them you were going to rent it out?  The rent should cover the mortgage.   Maybe create a LLC first, and look for business lenders in your area.    Seems they would have nothing to lose with the building being colateral, and it 20% paid for.

stukndapast
stukndapast Reader
7/13/22 10:37 p.m.

I cannot let a horizontal surface remain uncluttered.  Lots of space now since I sold the motorhome.

Gzwg
Gzwg New Reader
7/14/22 3:00 a.m.

In reply to AMiataCalledSteve :

Not bad, I think most people would not guess that from the above picture.

iansane
7/14/22 10:58 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

The racetrack closest to me, Pacific Raceways, is trying to turn itself into a whole motorsports complex and currently building the industrial park space. Their leasing space at $1.60/sqft starting at 1250sqft and I'm really, really, really having a hard time jumping on board. Especially since they're throwing in a free track day a month for the first few buildings.

glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
7/14/22 11:26 a.m.
iansane said:

First thing I did when I bought my house a few years ago was roll a car into the shop. I've since added some benches and shelving but don't have current pictures.

4 cars plus working area, with an attached house? This is the sort of garage/house I'm looking for!

P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff)
P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/14/22 11:40 a.m.

I'm in the middle of engine and transmission swaps on the race car

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam Reader
7/15/22 10:35 a.m.

Look past the project and the organized mess in the background pretty much sums it up most days. However it does get cleaned between customer jobs every couple weeks.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/15/22 10:42 a.m.

For all the people with cleaner shops, where do you store your leftovers ands spare parts from old projects, or do you just toss them?  Same for any good parts deals you get, or do you just pick everything up on an as needed basis?

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/15/22 10:59 a.m.

Used to have a 1 1/2 car sized garage that had at least a half a car space full of parts (every project I did resulted in the space getting smaller as the walls filled with parts)

Moved and now have a 2 car garage - but I did what any of you would - filled the extra space with another car!

:

iansane
7/15/22 11:34 a.m.
glyn ellis said:
iansane said:

4 cars plus working area, with an attached house? This is the sort of garage/house I'm looking for!

Don't forget the in ground lift.

Although, the shop filled up way too fast. Even with a second garage for just parts.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/22 4:51 p.m.

Before cleaning up the right bay so I can fit the new motorcycle in for some work.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xpXQH4T9ZTDL354rSUDxjAIBy2LvGC3knh1b1X76bM5XUz8bfTieUdG42RkHXQft