PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
8/20/18 11:04 a.m.

I suck. Sold off one of my projects and made it a whole 2 days before picking up something else. A cheap 1992 GMC Typhoon popped up on Facebook market so I messaged the seller. He said he had a few people coming the next day to see the truck and I offered to show up that night with cash and a trailer.

Few hours later I added this to my yard.

It does need some body cladding replaced which is going to be expensive and it doesn't want to accelerate once boost starts building. Pretty sure it's a fueling issue. Looks like the prior owner threw some new ignition parts at it trying to solve the problem. I'll be sure to post a build thread as I dig into the truck.

I have a little syty knowledge but feel free to share any common problems or other info as I'm still learning about the truck.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
8/20/18 11:05 a.m.

Very cool, that color combo is pretty rare I think. I pass a Cyclone everyday on the way home from work. Wish GM would get back to making stuff like that!

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
8/20/18 11:07 a.m.

Dude. So cool. I have no idea what one in that shape would sell for, or what you paid. But I'm still going to say you got a great deal.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/20/18 11:08 a.m.

yassss, watching with interest.  Always had a soft spot for these

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater Reader
8/20/18 11:11 a.m.

The pickup version of one of those used to show up @ CBE to autocross. Yes he was faster than my MGB!

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
8/20/18 11:22 a.m.

Awesome,  I’ve always liked those.

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
8/20/18 11:24 a.m.

Oh heck yes! Was just talking about these, can't wait to see where you take it!

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
8/20/18 11:57 a.m.

excellent buy.  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/20/18 12:19 p.m.
purplepeopleeater said:

The pickup version of one of those used to show up @ CBE to autocross. Yes he was faster than my MGB!

waiiiitta minute...  Theres a 99% chance I know you and didnt connect the actual person to the screen name...  

Purple BGT?

-MustangBoy

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
8/20/18 12:22 p.m.

I freaking love these things. Cladding is indeed a bit spendy on them and it's likely still got an 80's turbo in it, which comes with problems with turbo's developed in the 80's, but overall they're a lot of fun.

Looks like syty.net is still up and active. They're a pretty good resource for just about everything to do with those trucks.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
8/20/18 12:31 p.m.

Weird that I was looking at those just this weekend.  Probably because of my age and when those came out, but I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Syclone's and Typhoon's.  I'll concur that regardless of what you paid for it, you probably got a great deal on it.  Are your plans to try to go as stock as possible (i.e. keeping an eye on the eventual classic value) or trying to squeeze as much out of it as possible?  Both are very worthy options.  I've always thought one without the cladding and a paint job to make it look like a normal Blazer with a turned up wick under the hood would make an awesome sleeper/daily driver.  I've watched them over the years and they seem to be creeping back up in price.

-Rob

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/18 1:35 p.m.

You stole it 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/20/18 1:52 p.m.

I have always wanted to take one of those plus one of the 87-88 El Camino SS and build an AWD El Camino, or maybe an AWD Monte Carlo SS.  

In theory, it shouldnt be too bad.  IIRC G Bodies and S10s share a lot of similarities, would probably have to  add the SyTy front subframe to the existing G body frame at the firewall, make some clearance for the t-case, get a decent rear axle, and there ya go.  

This rig is cheap enough to cut up, sell the good bits forward, and build a super sweet Monte SS.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
8/20/18 1:59 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

Cheaper would be an Olds Bravada - weren't those AWD? No need to start with a Syclone/Typhoon to do a project like that.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/20/18 2:35 p.m.

I have always liked those, being a child of the 80's will do that to you. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/20/18 2:54 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

Cheaper would be an Olds Bravada - weren't those AWD? No need to start with a Syclone/Typhoon to do a project like that.

Ha, I was going to post this! You could also use an AWD Astro/Safari setup to make this happen. This thing is one of 325 built in Apple Red for 1992. It would be an absolute shame to cut up a cool piece of Malaise Era performance history for that! 

Just so you guys know... Pseudosport and I would sit in study hall in high school talking about how cool the Sy/Ty's were. These things were legendary at the time, and true unicorns. Our town was blessed with exactly two of them. There was a police officer in town with a white Typhoon, and we wanted it. Then, we found out a girl at school had a Syclone... insta-crush. I'd like to apologize for following her around a few times in our terrible high school cars trying to figure out how she ended up with it. blush (Turns out it was her dad's ride; he had a Grand National too!!!)

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
8/20/18 3:42 p.m.

pop the hood pops!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/20/18 3:58 p.m.

We wrote about them a little while back. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/20/18 7:10 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

But those don't have a sweet turbo 4.3!

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
8/20/18 7:55 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:
dculberson said:

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

But those don't have a sweet turbo 4.3!

But it could have a sweet turbo 5.3!

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/21/18 6:48 a.m.

Good friend of mine built one several years ago for 1 Lap of America. Lots of pics here:  http://highperformancetrucks.com/forums/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=6620

Corvette brakes, water injection...I couldn't begin to tell you what all he did to it. Fast for short bursts but didn't much like the endurance aspect. Broke a lot. The auto trans sucked a lot of the fun out of it. It was rather miserable to work on despite being a truck. Everything that broke always seemed to have the least accessible route in the engine bay.

He sold it a few years back but we've seen it on the internet now and again when it comes up for sale. Not sure where it wound up at this point.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
8/21/18 8:13 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

Yea up to i think 97 they used the good  BW 4472 transfercase which was the same as the Sy/Ty's and Astro vans. They also make adapters to put that transfercase on a 4l80. So get a 4x4 s10 LS swap kit, whatever LS you please, and go do some awd launches on the cheap

jfryjfry (Forum Supporter)
jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/7/20 6:32 p.m.

Wondering if pseudosport or anyone else knows of a syclone or typhoon for sale?  A friend is looking for one. 

contact me at username at yahoo if so!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QbxnWQDbzanHCRfgwCnKxQU2T85x7V8vE8d02fFyNt2CEDodCypsvoZCwMOo0VBj