Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
11/27/22 11:31 a.m.

Just picked up a beater '98 Suburban which all seems to work pretty well except it always takes a bunch of wiggling the key and turning it back and forward before it will actually turn to the start and run positions. I assume the lock cylinder needs replacement and found a video that makes it look fairly straight forward But since there seems to be a lot of GMT 400 owners here I thought I'd check in to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. 

Anything other than the lock cylinder likely to be causing the problem? Any particular brand of lock cylinder recommended or best avoided?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pxAaLA1Hjg

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/27/22 1:36 p.m.

Go to the GM store, or a locksmith and get a key cut from code first.  It might not work, but it's way cheap to try.  If you have a chipped key, you can get a regular one cut to see whether it solves the problem, I'd imagine for less than $20.  If it works, then get some chipped ones cut.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
11/27/22 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

GM store as in dealer, or online? Can they get the key code from the VIN or do they need anything else?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/27/22 2:30 p.m.

Need vin, and probably proof of ownership as well.  That should be all you need.  Online or in real life, shouldn't matter.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
11/27/22 3:35 p.m.

Cool, thanks I'll give that a try 

Opti
Opti Dork
11/27/22 10:05 p.m.

Ive driven and owned a bunch of GMT400s. last year when I bought my current one, it had been a while and I couldnt get used to the wiggling to get it to start. I went to the GM dealer and had a key cut to the vin, ordered a new cylinder and ignition switch. A couple days later I had gotten back in the groove of getting it on the first try. The parts are still sitting in my toolbox.

Get a new key cut, maybe put a little graphite lube in there, and see if it doesnt get better.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dERq14dmcMtrwoXQFTCv3SqK4owiUUh8CkdZ9efYOADMCViu3q8mAGdm6Qp3QRfk