1 2
sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/27/17 6:50 p.m.

In reply to JBasham :

Thanks for that, it explains a lot of my frustration last year at OneLap with Harry's... wish I'd seen it back then.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
11/28/17 8:13 a.m.

I've been using my phone, attached to my passenger side headrest by two Big Ass Rubberbands (TM), using the selfie camera. Worked great in my Sonic but not great in the RX7, so I bought a cheap cell phone mount and mounted it to my rear windshield so I could watch me.

But I didn't realize GoPro knockoffs were getting so cheap, I may have to pick up one or three so I can do some old-school datalogging, and some cool outside-the-car video.

Anyone have a link to a cheap knockoff you recommend?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/17 8:28 a.m.

I have two GoPro Sessions, they run $150 which is pretty good for GoPro quality.  I think they are awesome.  The picture quality is great and they are so small and easy to mount anywhere.  They are waterproof without the need for a case.  There is no replaceable battery, but the charge is plenty for a day of autocross or track event, especially if you don't use the WiFi.  I use the WiFi to control the camera from my phone (I like being able to see the shot) and I can start recording from my Apple Watch. As long as you turn it off between runs, it will last all day.  It is also small enough to mount anywhere.  

That said, I have had some issues with the cameras in manual mode, they will start to record, then shut off after 2 minutes or so.  No rhyme or reason and no warning when it will happen.  That is pretty frustrating when you start it, head out on track, and as soon as the green flag drops the camera clicks off.  Grrrrrrrrrrr.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
11/28/17 8:37 a.m.

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XC46S2U/

I hardwired the power for it, and put it in dash mode so as long as its powered it records.  With a 32gig card, you can just plug it in at the beginning of the day and unplug it at the end and not worry about missing anything.

I use Davinci Resolve for editing/cropping/etc.

Some examples:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMCCpwF4is_do4WhV-qDSqg (all recorded at 720p/60fps).  I'll probably go to 1080/30 in the future.  I'm a bit of a frame rate junky so its difficult to choose the lower frame rate.

Unfortunately with rallycross, sometimes crap gets on the windshield and can mess up the focus.

The parts for the next project are sitting on my desk.  5x 12v->5v power supplies to feed to multiple cameras and a single switch to turn them all on/off.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/17 8:43 a.m.
TheRX7Project said:

Anyone have a link to a cheap knockoff you recommend?

Depends what kind of specs you want. If you want a nice camera that's respectable by today's standards, I'd recommend this:

https://www.amazon.com/SJCAM-Original-SJ4000-Action-Camera/dp/B00KH7VZJQ/

And if you want Maximum Specs Overkill, I'd recommend this:

https://www.amazon.com/SJCAM-Touchscreen-Stabilization-Microphone-Accessories/dp/B0752CFLJM/

bigev007
bigev007 Reader
11/28/17 9:46 a.m.

I've had a 2, a 4, and a 5. I've been nothing but unhappy with all three.

Started with the 2, it was a gift. With a warranty. Which I needed due to constant freezing/hanging/not working when it was warm out.  And by warm I mean in the low 70s. It was replaced by a 4 under warranty. The 4 worked ok, but not great. Then the first time it fell (from waist height) the case broke and camera shattered. They gave me a 5 for half price. The 5 freezes, doesn't talk to the app, and just generally doesn't work. The software you're forced to use to get the telemetry data also doesn't work. Like it just doesn't work. I should not have taken the discount, or I should have sold it when it arrived.

Plus you need to buy a $70 adapter to use a mic with the new GoPros, and they don't come with suction cup mounts anymore. That's another big expense.

This is the brand I was going to buy before GoPro offered me the last deal. It's the one I wish I had bought. https://www.olfi.co.uk/

Or, if it's staying inside the car, use your phone. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/28/17 10:07 a.m.

I personally have a similar camera to the SJ4000 linked above (and am happy with it) but I wonder if I should've spent more to get something with image stabilization.

Is the stabilization worth the extra cost for those of you that have it?

Thanks, Adam

bigev007
bigev007 Reader
11/28/17 2:17 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

I do like the stabilization for hand-held and pointing out of the car, but if it's pointed at a mostly fixed object (like me in the car) I turn it off or the video gets disorienting.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
11/28/17 5:19 p.m.

I have this style old Garmin Virb.

Love the camera but I can't find a mount that doesn't suck. Maybe I'm dumb. Send halp plz

sleepyhead
11/28/17 5:27 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

ductape?  how 'bout 3D printed?

NickD
NickD UltraDork
11/28/17 5:31 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

I have two mounts and both have ball and sockets that tend to slip under hard cornering, causing the camera to flop around. I may have to try wrapping it with duct tap to reduce it's propensity to flop. Or drill through it and pin it.

sleepyhead
11/28/17 6:14 p.m.

You might look at "grip tape", as in the photography assistant, it's also fiber-based... but the "outer surface" is "fuzzy" and would provide more help with locking down that joint than the shiny slippery side of old-Skool silver tape.  Dunno if big-box hardware stores stock it, but maybe a camera store (assuming you have one left), or craft store might have it, or amazon... certainly adorama/b&h do.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ziPqjns97yr7OxxBFByPv44OqpEGPOS7pRjGigPSj3M4Vh0rwGj08xKLPnsTzhVT