1 2
03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/29/22 2:46 a.m.

In reply to c0rbin9 :

I was referring to the $50 K cars that sell for $300,000. 
in that '80s a very large majority of used car lots were moving their coke with the cars; I don't know if BaT is doing that, laundering money, or both. 
But then, they are not the only reason for falsely inflated prices. 

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
8/29/22 2:55 a.m.

I think BaT sees the highest prices simply because they are the biggest player. The market that they command is huge. Simply, bigger audience = high values. You can view the prior bids and comments of everyone who bids on BaT, and most of the times it is just another rich collector paying a high price for something.

The money laundering thing always sounded to me like something people say to sound smart. It doesn't make any sense to launder money on a public forum where everyone's identities and IP addresses are recorded. There is also the 5% fee (capped at $5k) that BaT takes on every transaction.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/29/22 3:03 a.m.

In reply to c0rbin9 :

I'm just an ol dumb hillbilly, and don't have a clue about the cause. But having a large audience, does NOT explain the disparity in pricing. Other auction houses did it for the tv ratings. 
But it's all off topic to the OP, so moot point. 
Have a great morning. 

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
8/29/22 12:08 p.m.
03Panther said:

...having a large audience, does NOT explain the disparity in pricing.

How can it not? For example, lets say that one out of 10,000 bidders has more money than sense, and is willing to bid a car higher than anyone else, just to be a "winner". If your car is at a smaller auction that attracts 6,000 people, odds are that you won't get such a person bidding on your car. If your car is at a big auction that attracts 12,000 people, odds are that you will. At least that's how I view it: bigger crowd = higher chance of rich bidders.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/29/22 10:39 p.m.

I not sure my opinion on BaT is important enough to continue off topic. But I do not think their numbers are accurate. You explanation makes perfect sense if they where slightly higher. 
But if any one actually knows (not heard of) someone that paid several times more for a car, than they sell for other places, please have them get in touch with me.  Did not like when they completely changed their business model, so I may be biased, but I'm ok with that. Nobody has put a gun to my head and forced me to do business with them. 
With that final thought, I will let the thread go back to the original topic. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tGAuHelVqvZb5pyd02qlwujBwnVTKfQFW8AUzT4509zafrPETqoPXgiybsiNlM1G