pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/15/17 10:31 a.m.

Lots of the exterior black plastic parts on my E28 are pretty faded (grilles, mirrors, etc) after 32 years of UV exposure. I've used the heat gun trick on other cars in the past with mixed results; I think I just want to paint these. The Armor-All and "forever black" type products just don't work, for what it's worth. Has anyone found a high-quality paint for this purpose that adheres well to plastic and won't fade quickly from the UV exposure?

Notice how these are mostly a chalky gray outside of the wet spots from being washed. That's what I'm trying to be rid of.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
1/15/17 11:30 a.m.

Well Jeep guys seem to love "flood" brand penetrol. I've used it its good for a few years but paint has come a long way now there's got to be something out there.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/15/17 11:47 a.m.

Wouldn't Krylon Fusion plastic paint do the trick?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/15/17 12:01 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

I had that thought. Some googling indicates that Jeep guys seem to like it.

I hear lots of fanfare for SEM trim black now that I've been asking around. Teh intarwebz seems to agree that it is a great product. Apparently it holds up to abuse extremely well; a good thing for grilles that will be taking bug and pebble hits with some regularity.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/17 12:11 p.m.

I found, purely by accident, that hitting chalky, faded, whited-out black plastic trim with clear paint makes them look like new again.

Seriously, try it. I was experimenting on my dead VW shell by hitting the areas where the clear came off with new clear (no prep other than wiping with brake cleaner to remove dirt) and got some overspray on the wheel trim. I was amazed. So amazed that I hit the rest of the black plastic.

You'd think that the chalky parts would just show through as chalky, but no.

Also, reclearing the paint worked really well, the faded dull paint looked showroom fresh with the clear over it, but you have to get ALL of the old clear off if you want it to look decent.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
1/15/17 1:57 p.m.

Jeep guys also use the heat gun trick

84FSP
84FSP Dork
1/15/17 2:15 p.m.

Hilarious as it may sound the liquid shoe polish in squeeze container with foam applicator works reall well and holds up a year or two. Another bonus is that because you applied a wax not a paint you can simply re-apply again later with no side effects.

I truly thought this was ghetto until I saw it in action over a few years time.

einy
einy Reader
1/15/17 3:39 p.m.

I'll second the Krylon Fusion suggestion. Has worked great for me in a number of painted plastic applications that continually live outside.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/15/17 8:58 p.m.

VHT Black vinyl dye. I put some numbers on a plastic canoe and it never faded.

floatingdoc
floatingdoc GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/16/17 12:03 a.m.

That Krylon fusion has held up really well on some interior parts in my old truck. Very resistant to wear.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
1/16/17 12:20 a.m.
Knurled wrote: I found, purely by accident, that hitting chalky, faded, whited-out black plastic trim with *clear* paint makes them look like new again.

I can confirm that this works surprisingly well not just with faded plastic trim, but also oxidized composite headlights.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
1/16/17 8:02 a.m.
Knurled wrote: I found, purely by accident, that hitting chalky, faded, whited-out black plastic trim with *clear* paint makes them look like new again. Seriously, try it. I was experimenting on my dead VW shell by hitting the areas where the clear came off with new clear (no prep other than wiping with brake cleaner to remove dirt) and got some overspray on the wheel trim. I was amazed. So amazed that I hit the rest of the black plastic.

Can also confirm. Did this on some trim on my old xB and poof, back in black!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/17 9:08 a.m.

Another trick I've found that works well is painting the plastic black with a sharpie. It'll look reddish at first, but it will turn black in a few weeks and it lasts for years. Mind you this is basically a form of paint.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rr1qlVMulbnY7Ko7Z9MPMpnK7orsTCgvho4353v6bTa6yHVGVXCMkETlUlCZyXf3