ctgmi
ctgmi
2/2/22 9:55 a.m.

I’m getting ready for the warmer weather and tire replacement will be in order. I’m probably looking to go from Falken RT660 to either Hankook RS-4 or possibly Goodyear F1 SuperCar 3(non-R).
I’m having a hell of time finding someone with personal experience on both, myself have quite a bit of time on the RS-4, among others. I’ve also had observations and questioned drivers using GY’s at the track, but this is coming from heavier RWD cars, so while their feedback was positive, I’m skeptical it may not be all the transferable going to a lighter FWD vehicle.
Here’s what I hoping that anyone have any experience on both and how they compare with one another on the track.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/2/22 10:01 a.m.

In reply to ctgmi :

We've actually tested both tires you are looking at not too long ago, and you can read our results in our Ultimate Track Tire Guide.

ctgmi
ctgmi New Reader
2/2/22 10:10 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Thanks and oh yeah, I've read those right after they were published.  Good articles, but hard to interpret some of the same similarities or differences since on the on the other articles there wasn't really a direct comparison that may identify some of the nuances against one another.

dps214
dps214 Dork
2/2/22 11:23 a.m.

Personally I didn't love the way they drove but they sure do last forever and are very heat tolerant. But I also have a heavy-ish RWD car that's somewhat sensitive to tires. For me they were too stiff with too much abrupt breakaway and not much slip angle tolerance, which in my mind wouldn't transfer well to fwd, but no direct experience. A size with more sidewall than I was running would probably help with that too.

What car is this for? They only go down to 17s, which I wouldn't think would have much overlap with light fwd applications. Also keep in mind that anything narrower than 265 will be a touch slower, probably still at least on pace with the RS4 though.

ctgmi
ctgmi New Reader
2/2/22 11:48 a.m.

In reply to dps214 :

Thanks, I appreciate the comment.  Regarding a "light" FWD, it's not really light but "lighter", it's a Veloster N running 245/40R18's

Saron81
Saron81 Dork
2/2/22 12:28 p.m.

Michelin PS4s or Cup2s? 
Those are my current go-tos for my Focus. 

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 Reader
2/6/22 8:47 p.m.

In reply to ctgmi :

My experience was in a C5Z, but used DW, RE71, A7, SC3 on that car and have used 660s on my two cars since(GT500 and boxster).

SC3 was much more forgiving than the RE71.  Did not stand out anywhere in particular but did everything really well similar to the 660.  SC3 breaks away and recovers like the A7 imo, which made it super easy to drive at the limit.  Definitely didn't brake like the RE71 though.

For the price/performance the 660 is my droid, followed by the SC3.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xDjfoIuHT9JsxMavC2w7GXMBJMEcH4P2YNUMiDkWmHx08OT6zwS0NIeo5mwVPvW2