1 2 3
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/4/18 9:57 a.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

When I unloaded my second one from the back of my minivan, I used my engine hoist.  I lowered it so that one end was on the ground and then the end under the hoist legs were on a couple of blocks.  Then after I got the hoist out from under it I was able to easily lift it off the blocks.

For ramps, I have 2x12's in roughly cut in half so I can easily move them out to the driveway.  I also have some square tubing that slots into the ramps at the lift rollers. Helps to position the ramps and to keep the ramps from sliding when driving onto them.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
12/4/18 10:22 a.m.

Thanks for the point by point. I go around on this every few months when I look at lifts.

When you say "Harder to access the center" are you talking "Impossible to access the MS3's downpipe" hard or "awkward position" hard? (You own one too so it's kind of a specific question about the most troublesome jackstand job I've ever done on the car)

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/4/18 10:34 a.m.

I guess you could lift the vehicle, put it on jack stands, and then lower and roll the lift out so you can work under the vehicle as well?  

Is it narrow enough for that I wonder?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/4/18 12:13 p.m.
The0retical said:

Thanks for the point by point. I go around on this every few months when I look at lifts.

When you say "Harder to access the center" are you talking "Impossible to access the MS3's downpipe" hard or "awkward position" hard? (You own one too so it's kind of a specific question about the most troublesome jackstand job I've ever done on the car)

To me, it's "awkward" hard.  You can pretty much get to everything under the car, you just can't do things like drop a RWD transmission.  I've replaced exhaust systems, drive shafts, etc. Some tasks are easier after literally climbing inside the lift, which I'll readily admit was disconcerting the first few times.... or every time... 

jharry3 said:

I guess you could lift the vehicle, put it on jack stands, and then lower and roll the lift out so you can work under the vehicle as well?  

Is it narrow enough for that I wonder?

The lift is about 48" wide before swinging the arms out.  I suppose it'd be possible, but not with any of the cars I own.  Even my minivan isn't wide enough.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
12/4/18 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

Does yours have the "SUV Extensions" (see picture below)? They give you a bit more room under what you're working on (from my limited experience) - it also depends on the design fo the center section of the scissor lift

I'll take some pictures with the MS3 in the air, but it seems to me as Ian says, harder than a 2 post but not impossible. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
12/4/18 12:44 p.m.
Ian F said:

literally climbing inside the lift, which I'll readily admit was disconcerting the first few times.... or every time... 

I was also considering having some 4x4 or so about for when that needs to happen, unlikely - but it would really suck if the scissor lift lived up to it's name.....

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/4/18 3:27 p.m.

Mine actually came with two sets of those. One set that adds about 3" and one set that adds 6".  So far I haven't lifted anything that really needs them other than my Triumphs where the lifting points are at different heights so I use the 3" risers at the rear points.

As unnerving as it is to get inside, it's really not much different than being under any other part of the car when lifted. I don't get under the car when it's only supported by the hydraulics. Always lower it onto one of the catches first.  Then everything is pretty solid and isn't going anywhere. You can't release the safety catch without raising the lift up a bit.

One of the issues with the idea of lifting a car onto jackstands and then pulling the lift out from under it is the logistics of getting the hand-truck unit to the lift point and then levering the lift up and rolling it out.  The car would need to be about 4 feet of the ground to give you room for that. I don't know of any jack stands that high where the bases wouldn't encroach into the lift foot-print. The SOB is also about 900 lbs. Getting it moving takes some effort.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
2/7/19 1:19 p.m.

Just adding some pictures!

Love this thing - 0-regret so far. Though I still haven't gotten my MS3 on it as requested - soon!

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/7/19 1:35 p.m.

we have a similar one, I use this way more than my hoist or drive on lift. 

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
2/7/19 4:53 p.m.

Congrats on the purchase!

My dad and I went half-ers on a Danmar unit that looks nearly identical to that and Bendpack, etc. 

Wow, what a difference it makes in most all general maintenance on a car.  To work standing on a car or at least not crawling on your back is a life saver.

When not in use we setup a winch on the wall and have it upright out of the way.

Now married and in our new house i would love to bring the lift over but we have a small two car garage and i dont see it being too feasible.  I guess it will stay there.

However, I do like that AUTOLIFT3000....

TitanMike
TitanMike None
2/14/19 11:10 a.m.

In reply to accordionfolder

Hello...my name is Mike and I work with Titan Lifts.   I got a phone call from a member of the Grassroots team about this posting.  I just wanted to say thanks for posting your pictures and we are happy to hear that you are satisfied with your SL-6600.  I'd like to encourage you to post this up on our Facebook page as well ,as we appreciate all the feedback from our lift owners.  https://www.facebook.com/TitanLifts

If there is anything else we can do for you down the road or any of the other forum members, please reach out to us.  (I'm trying not to spam the board with these comments but just wanted to thank you!)

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/14/19 11:50 a.m.

In reply to TitanMike :

Thanks for taking part Mike!  

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
2/14/19 2:58 p.m.

In reply to TitanMike :

Welcome! I love the lift - it's made life so much easier! Alignments, oil changes, and rotations are a breeze (I sound like an infomercial - lol). I find a reason to throw things on the lift that I totally don't need to just because it's so cool to get a clear look under the chassis.The number of catch points and the 120V is the killer feature here though, it never hogs my 220....

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
2/14/19 4:06 p.m.

Congrats!  I'll be purchasing a lift within the next month and I am so torn between a scissor lift or Maxjax.  If one or the other came up for sale used locally, that would make my decision easy, but ordering a new one, I just can't make up my mind!

Professor_Brap
2/14/19 4:11 p.m.

In reply to 2002maniac :

Im a huge fan of the scissor lifts, the maxjax make me uneasy

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
2/14/19 4:34 p.m.

It's anchored to the floor just like any 2 post lift.  :shrug

I work on a lot of RWD and AWD cars, so having full drivetrain access would be a nice benefit of the maxjax. The scissor lift would be a lot better for parking a vehicle over, and I could use it to work on motorcycles.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/14/19 4:55 p.m.

In reply to 2002maniac :

One disadvantage of a Max Jack (or any 2-post) is you need a fairly wide bay to use it in. You can use a scissor lift in a typically tight residential 2-car garage with a car in both bays. That may not always be the case with a Max jack.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/14/19 9:25 p.m.

In reply to TitanMike :

I’ll be calling you soon. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/14/19 9:36 p.m.
2002maniac said:

It's anchored to the floor just like any 2 post lift.  :shrug

In theory, that’s correct. In practice, it’s not. 

The “mobile” aspect of the MaxJax encourages users to install in in several existing locations, without adequate checking of the concrete thickness. 

I’ve installed over 50 two post lifts. Insuring the integrity of the floor isn’t as easy as it sounds.  Unfortunately, I did have one fail.  And I found several with floor integrity issues once we started, which had to be cut out and re-poured.

I’m installing 22 two post lifts right now in a new construction project, and we put a lot of effort into the layout (thickening the slab, moving control joints around to work properly, determining the proper anchors, etc). It just isn’t easy in an existing residential address to do well, and “mobility” scares me. 

2 post lifts aren’t mobile, and bolting and unbolting proves it. 

Professor_Brap
2/15/19 9:32 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

I sold lifts for years for a larger manufacture. I have only seen a handful fail. 

In reply to 2002maniac :

If you truly anchor down the MaxJax they arnt bad, I saw a post on a local group where a guy had his 911 tip off his maxjacs while working on his car. 

EDIT: I have a scissor lift and a 2 post and a drive on and 99% of the time I use my scissor lift

Joe Gearin
2/15/19 9:38 a.m.

I just have to say----  I love having all these options.  I really don't think you can lose with any of these "portable" lifts.   A two-post lift isn't an option at my house, so an Autolift 3000, QuickJack, or Titan make a ton of sense for a guy like me.  

It's a great time to be a car guy! 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/19 10:03 a.m.
Joe Gearin said:

It's a great time to be a car guy! 

off-topic to this thread, but hell yes it is a good time to be a car guy.   i'm shopping 400hp cars with warranty as my next daily.   someone said to me "400hp is an awful lot, isn't it?"   and on one hand it's more than i need, but OTOH it's barely 50% of what's actually available on the market today. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
2/15/19 10:10 a.m.

Damn that extra high rise 4 post Titan is offering looks pretty tempting. They weren't really on my radar until now...

Joe Gearin
2/15/19 11:07 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

I hear you, but I'd rather have 200hp in a 2000lb car, than 400 hp in a 4000lb car.   Unfortunately flyweight cars are awfully hard to make these days.  Somehow the ND Miata has managed it without costing a mint.  

But yes.... new cars have capabilities that are pretty effing amazing! 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/15/19 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin :

This is why I like my 300 hp 3000 lb 996 so much.  It’s a good medium between 2k/200 and 4k/400.  I love the new Mustangs but I can’t get over that mass....  so much mass.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FMJwmbi4Fh1dw4Vi5x6TAeqZkLQJ5R5gYHDrKyYl3yaJrtnOAIZU1UCHmn0i6kzF