Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/29/10 6:13 p.m.

OK, so since life has changed and I'm NOT going to Blytheville and can go to Peru instead (local for me), I now have a little extra cash to spend. I have been wanting to get the nose of the Swift down outta the stratosphere and put some stiffer springs in to compliment the Koni's.

Now, there are a plethora of options for this car, I mean just dozens and dozens of off the shelf parts to choose from. So many it makes the civic guys green with envy [/sarcasm]. Sadly, no one at all lists a sleeve kit for it. Since I onl;y need the front pair, what are your suggestions for an economical set up? Will just about any eGay kit work? SHould I find a Macstrut specific kit? Should I burn the car to the ground and start over?

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
3/29/10 6:20 p.m.

I paid $40 shipped for some crappy Civic-intended kit on eBay that included 4 springs, 4 adjusters, and some miscellaneous rubber rings, etc. Hard to beat that for experimenting with. Half of the kit ended up on the front of my Fiero (coincidentally, I actually ended up with Civic struts!!!).

Bryce

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/29/10 6:21 p.m.

Is this what you're looking for? http://suzukird1.netfirms.com/62pro/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=136

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/29/10 6:21 p.m.

Is the Fiero MacStrut or the civic style double a-arm?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/29/10 6:22 p.m.

I don't trust that particular company. Already been there, seen those. Almost all of Suzukird's stuff is reboxedfrom someone else and then marked up 100%. Would love to know where they got those from though.

Josh
Josh Dork
3/29/10 6:30 p.m.

Koni may even have something for you. It couldn't hurt to call Koni Motorsports.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/29/10 6:33 p.m.

As much as I'd like to...A.) I'm looking for a cost conscious price and 2.) I talked with the guy from Ky (I spaced his name AND lost his business card like a dolt) about this car a couple weeks ago. Not much out there at all. Shoot, the Koni sport inserts are almost all gone now!

Josh
Josh Dork
3/29/10 6:41 p.m.

When I bought sleeves for the Miata they were about $35 a corner. If that's out of your budget this might not be the sport for you.

You probably talked to Lee Grimes, BTW.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/29/10 6:42 p.m.

Yes! Geesh.... I can't remember names for crap. Everywhere I look for GC sleeves they're $400 a set. And, of course, I don't need 4.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
3/29/10 6:58 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Is the Fiero MacStrut or the civic style double a-arm?

It's a Fiero double a-arm front with a wishbone and damper from an Accord. I'm not really sure what that matters though, you want a spring sleeve...it's the same parts in either case. I could easily pull the spring sleeves off the front of my Fiero (on Civic struts) and put them on the rear Fiero (stock macpherson style) struts.

Bryce

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/29/10 7:00 p.m.

That's what I was looking for.

mw
mw Reader
3/29/10 7:10 p.m.

I would just get any ebay sleeves and get a spacer machined to make it fit the konis. I would also look into the koni sleeves though because they are cheap and allow you to run 2.25" springs to save a little weight

tnturbo
tnturbo New Reader
3/29/10 8:54 p.m.

I would go to Coleman Racing or similar place, you just need sleeves http://www.colemanracing.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=10

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
3/29/10 9:05 p.m.

If you feel like spending a little bit more money the cosmo racing sleeves are a pretty nice copy of ground controls for under $150. I prefer the split collar adjuster nut to the ebay 2 locking rings method but both are better than the Ireland Engineering "Set screw into the aluminum threads" method

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/29/10 10:12 p.m.
Nashco wrote: I paid $40 shipped for some crappy Civic-intended kit on eBay that included 4 springs, 4 adjusters, and some miscellaneous rubber rings, etc. Hard to beat that for experimenting with. Half of the kit ended up on the front of my Fiero (coincidentally, I actually ended up with Civic struts!!!). Bryce

Sorry for the thread jack. Nashco, do you know what the diameter of the Civic sleeves is. I have looked at them for the RX-7 and was wondering if they would fit.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/30/10 7:27 a.m.

Anyone have a link/access to the Koni's? It appears their website is fubared.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
3/30/10 12:56 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
Nashco wrote: I paid $40 shipped for some crappy Civic-intended kit on eBay that included 4 springs, 4 adjusters, and some miscellaneous rubber rings, etc. Hard to beat that for experimenting with. Half of the kit ended up on the front of my Fiero (coincidentally, I actually ended up with Civic struts!!!). Bryce
Sorry for the thread jack. Nashco, do you know what the diameter of the Civic sleeves is. I have looked at them for the RX-7 and was wondering if they would fit.

They tend to vary with the made in China super-cheap crap. If you're doing some custom shenanigans and are really worried about the $50 worth of springs and sleeves not being useful to you, it's best to find ebay ads that state the inner diameter...they are out there, or at least they were when I bought mine. The other option is to buy from more reputable sources, as mentioned above, where the inner diameter is clearly advertised and returns are available if necessary...it's a safer purchase, but it's also more expensive.

Bryce

unevolved
unevolved Reader
3/30/10 2:39 p.m.

SCCAforums.com usually has real cheap Eibach springs being traded around, should be able to get some spring rates real close to what you want/need.

mw
mw HalfDork
3/30/10 2:51 p.m.

The Koni part numbers are here: http://www.koniracing.com/sleeves.cfm If you google the part number, you can usually find a vendor or just call knoi USA for a price.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jhDNbZCvdqvPCwJjFALNudEzADrhi1nwDv4AjAgjx0hU7PMC5s742FKBW0mEiEL8