1 2 3 4 ... 7
wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/3/13 5:13 p.m.

Up to half the Challenge car’s purchase price may be recouped into the budget through the sale of parts originally included with or attached to the Challenge car at the time of purchase.

Little detail on this is suggested. I believe it is for a $2014 purchase.

If I were to offer an example from the previous rule set: If a car is purchased for $1400, you can sell up to $1007 (no more part sales can be credited to the recoup max).

If interpreted the current rule literally, I am glad I can recoup $150 of my $300 purchase. At least I can recoup $857 from parts deals. However, in the previous iterations, I could buy the same $300 car, sell $300 in parts and be limited to $707 for the part sale recoup ($1007 being maxed).

Not trying to poke, just asking for a clarification

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
12/3/13 5:15 p.m.

While a new venue sounded exciting, the June date was going to be really tough for me personally, so good and bad on that front. The rules seem to be quite a bit shy of the 1 page target...but I suppose it's progress. I'm really curious how the Jeep fits into the new tire rule...they're certainly wide with the wheels they run in the autocross, but the roof height is way up there too!

Bryce

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
David S. Wallens wrote: . For one, we'd need to build a hotel.

I'm available!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork

Thank you for the transparency.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/3/13 5:16 p.m.
Nashco wrote: While a new venue sounded exciting, the June date was going to be really tough for me personally, so good and bad on that front. The rules seem to be quite a bit shy of the 1 page target...but I suppose it's progress. I'm really curious how the Jeep fits into the new tire rule...they're certainly wide with the wheels they run in the autocross, but the roof height is way up there too! Bryce

If need be, we can adjust that rule. The intent is not to punish the Jeep. Mainly, we needed to soothe those concerned about sticky tires on tippy cars.

evildky
evildky Dork
12/3/13 5:16 p.m.

I use driftwood on my rentals, 25 year 3 tab I pay about 150sq for a single layer tearoff. I'm pretty sure we have the talent pool to build a hotel

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
12/3/13 5:32 p.m.

No $2014 challenge for me. I could do Florida or October, but both together are impossible for me. (Kid in school & SWMBO works for the school district/ can't take that much time off).

The new rules are very good, simple and balanced. Good luck to everyone else.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
12/3/13 5:53 p.m.

The Jeep only sits a couple of inches higher than he Mustangs that were there. It was parked beside one in the concourse area and it was surprisingly low.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/3/13 6:07 p.m.

OK, the rules are finalized. Ladies and gentleman, start your wrenches!

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
12/3/13 6:15 p.m.

Bummer, was really looking forward to an event at Summit Point, but you gotta do what you gotta do. On a side note, did you not notice all the hotels a few minutes away in Winchester? We have had no issues staying there when we're not camping at the track.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/3/13 6:26 p.m.

I'm happy. It's back at Gainesville and NOT in November. This can work. The rules are better as well.

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop Reader
12/3/13 6:51 p.m.

Rules look good and I'm happy the event is staying close to my alma mater. This brings my two car plan back to the table.

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
12/3/13 7:11 p.m.

That was the last place we checked on hotels and while the Hampton Inn was a perfect place to have the awards banquet, they could not give us all the rooms we needed. Also getting everybody parked would get interesting too.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/3/13 7:48 p.m.

well, berkeley

i can get away with 5 hours towing a heap to play, not 13

Jerry
Jerry Dork
12/3/13 7:59 p.m.

I mourn the loss of the new venue as well. I had just told SWMBO and her mom (that lives 1/2hr away and would have made a great base-camp and place for her daughter to retreat while I watched car-stuff) about the event while she was here for Turkey Day.

Oh well, I still plan on more car-stuff next year, including Rallycross Nationals. Maybe another year, GRM.

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica Reader
12/3/13 8:26 p.m.

There's a typo on the event page.

$2014 landing page said: This year’s Grassroots Motorsports $2014 Challenge takes place at Auto Plus Raceway at Gainesville, Florida, home of the NHRA Gatornationals, October 24-15, 2014.

I like the new rules. Hopefully I will be there to spectate this year.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/3/13 8:52 p.m.

Fixed the typo. Thanks.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/3/13 9:10 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: And sometimes I wonder if we're too transparent with you guys on this event. Just before the $2013 Challenge, the prospect of moving it to Hyperfest came up. So, we asked the crowd: Would you be interested? Since several said yes, we flew up there and checked it out. In the end, we realized that there's too many obstacles to overcome in just six months. For one, we'd need to build a hotel.
It's just wood and nails.

If you can get 40 idiots to put together legitimate race cars out of rusting hulks, you could probably build a hotel with the crap in 3 dudes backyards. You're looking at it the wrong way.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
12/3/13 9:13 p.m.

Please clarify if the sell-off rule has changed or is just being interpreted incorrectly.

Flat_Black13z
Flat_Black13z New Reader
12/3/13 9:21 p.m.

i actually started on the car too this afternoon. I was down for a 6 hr ride but i dont think i can get the gf to do 12 in what i had planned.

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
12/3/13 9:34 p.m.

I am liking these new rules though, especially this one:

Costs to pick up your hooptie from the seller are exempt.

Since we can't all live in Atlanta.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/3/13 9:42 p.m.

Seems like it would just be easier to say that you can recoup up to $1007, or half your total project cost, by selling off stuff. Same for everyone. Doesn't matter what car you started with. No difficult rules to enforce. Simple is the goal, right?

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/3/13 10:30 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Please clarify if the sell-off rule has changed or is just being interpreted incorrectly.

This +eleventy billion

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
12/4/13 12:03 a.m.

Hmm, the 24th is my b-day, so that would be fun, but I'm not sure if it's going to happen. Oh well, maybe another year.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/4/13 5:54 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I'm happy.

Yup, me too.

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zw55sicX3s924N2QrIfQllPYlXwg4HWFIu9XbtASH90ffo5LzKM4e7QJv5feGxuR