1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/4/13 6:59 a.m.
Argo1 wrote: Seems like it would just be easier to say that you can recoup up to $1007, or half your total project cost, by selling off stuff. Same for everyone. Doesn't matter what car you started with. No difficult rules to enforce. Simple is the goal, right?

We do need some clarification, especially in the case of past challenge cars. My car is a combination of a $350 Spitfire and a $400 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. In the past challenges, you could recoup up to 1/2 of the budget by selling off parts. The new rules seem to indicate (perhaps just due to the wording used) that you can only recoup costs based on the original price of the car. What if you purchased several cars, or loads of parts assemblies to build your car?

Since the goal is to simplify the rules but continue to provide opportunities for creative ideas for competitive cars for the event, making it clear that on what ever was purchased to create your challenge car (car, parts car, parts deals, etc), that you can only recoup up to half of the budget ($1,007) by selling off what you don't need. That keeps it simple, fair and levels the playing field.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/4/13 7:52 a.m.
Spinout007 wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: Please clarify if the sell-off rule has changed or is just being interpreted incorrectly.
This +eleventy billion

Yes please!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/4/13 7:58 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Spinout007 wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: Please clarify if the sell-off rule has changed or is just being interpreted incorrectly.
This +eleventy billion
Yes please!

Me too.

I am thinking that the intent was to keep the recoup rule essentially unchanged, but the wording got weird, and that's not what happened.

It's a VERY big change.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
12/4/13 8:11 a.m.

Correct. There was no change intended to the budget rules. Carry on as before.

I'll fix that language shortly.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
12/4/13 8:12 a.m.

Bummed about Summit Point not working for you guys.

I think it would have been a lot of fun just to have everyone camping at the track. Rent a banquet tent for the dinner. (they do have flush toilets and showers in the paddock) Plus, not paying for a hotel must appeal to some other cheapasses.

Hope to make it some year, might have been able to make it happen in June if it was local, but won't be able to take the time off work to make it in October in Florida.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/4/13 8:21 a.m.
dcrabill wrote: So much for close to home.

can i rent C-ReX for the weekend?

westsidetalon
westsidetalon Reader
12/4/13 8:50 a.m.

x100

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/4/13 8:54 a.m.

Regarding location - WV wouldve been closer to me, but that still doesnt mean I woulda been there. Im personally happier to hear that the next batch of cars will have several more months worth of development (I view that as: several more months of procrastination just before the 2 week thrash to get it ready)

I really do want to get down there for a challenge. Im comfortable with the fact that I may have $15 or so more dollars in the allowable budget by the time I finally get a car there...

Is there any hope of getting some kind of video media coverage there? Or at least a challenge DVD plan...or anything like that? What did top Gear US say when you revised your invite to reflect the change back to Florida? You guys have already invited them right?

dcrabill
dcrabill New Reader
12/4/13 9:11 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:

I'm not sure how the new and improved rules would look at the rental thing. I think we could work out some kind of "old broken down competitor" type team. That is if the new young bucks promise to take it easy on us.

AngryCorvair
12/4/13 9:32 a.m.
dcrabill wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote:
I'm not sure how the new and improved rules would look at the rental thing. I think we could work out some kind of "old broken down competitor" type team. That is if the new young bucks promise to take it easy on us.

too bad york and detroit are so far apart. i think we'd make a pretty good team.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder SuperDork
12/4/13 9:42 a.m.

It will be neat to see how the "ugly" vs "fast" scores intersect. I would expect that you could take a known fast passenger vehicle and a Sawzall and simply go ape-E36 M3 on it--and then take your lumps in the Parc Expose.....

Or....you could build a car ground up from a pair of frame rails (Del Long's T anyone? or could you start with just a vin tag?) and garner points either way. Sounds like fun. I should go to one of these events some day.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/4/13 9:46 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Or....you could build a car ground up from a pair of frame rails (Del Long's T anyone?

awesome
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481023&page=6

Per Schroeder wrote: Sounds like fun. I should go to one of these events some day.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
12/4/13 10:13 a.m.

Good! I was not sure how I was going to complete Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in 6 months.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/4/13 10:26 a.m.

I'm never going to make it to one (since there is a decided bias to the eastern side of the continent and I'd rather go Chump/LeMons Racing for that kind of money, plus I suck), but its fun to read about the rules making process as well as the many build threads, smack-talk, results, etc. that it all generates.

AngryCorvair
12/4/13 11:08 a.m.
turboswede wrote: I'm never going to make it to one (since there is a decided bias to the eastern side of the continent and I'd rather go Chump/LeMons Racing for that kind of money, plus I suck), but its fun to read about the rules making process as well as the many build threads, smack-talk, results, etc. that it all generates.

but mostly because you suck.

turboswede
12/4/13 11:24 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
turboswede wrote: I'm never going to make it to one (since there is a decided bias to the eastern side of the continent and I'd rather go Chump/LeMons Racing for that kind of money, plus I suck), but its fun to read about the rules making process as well as the many build threads, smack-talk, results, etc. that it all generates.
but mostly because you suck.

Suck, squish, bang, blow.... I'm a confirmed petrosexual.

In other words, Bryce has gone several times and he's from the same area as I am, but he's completely nuts (and he doesn't suck). I can't compete with lunacy on that scale.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
12/4/13 11:25 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
Per Schroeder wrote: Or....you could build a car ground up from a pair of frame rails (Del Long's T anyone?
awesome http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481023&page=6
Per Schroeder wrote: Sounds like fun. I should go to one of these events some day.
I was so VERY VERY close to owning that car.... Still hurts a little when I think about it.. :-(
Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
12/4/13 11:37 a.m.

Yes, definite bummer on the location change, but will be better organized in Gainesville.

I hear you on the video coverage idea. I would love to have something video wise that we can send out to different outlets as well as YouTube in order to gain more attention of the event. We will look into it.

As far as Top Gear US, I was not aware that they would be having any involvement.

evildky
evildky Dork
12/4/13 12:00 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: It will be neat to see how the "ugly" vs "fast" scores intersect. I would expect that you could take a known fast passenger vehicle and a Sawzall and simply go ape-E36 M3 on it--and then take your lumps in the Parc Expose..... Or....you could build a car ground up from a pair of frame rails (Del Long's T anyone? or could you start with just a vin tag?) and garner points either way. Sounds like fun. I should go to one of these events some day.

It would be soo much awesome to have Per on the other side of the curtain

turboswede
12/4/13 12:06 p.m.
Rick Goolsby wrote: As far as Top Gear US, I was not aware that they would be having any involvement.

Well they won't, unless you invite them. HINT!

Oh and Freiberger/Finnegan from HotRod as well.

Plenty of time for both parties to get their collective E36 M3 together. Meaning for Freiberger/Finnegan to buy a car a few days before and fly in to try and get it to the event and for TGUS to do... something, I don't know I've never watched more than a few minutes of that show.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
12/4/13 12:08 p.m.

Per, what the hell would you know about gaming the game? We see what you're up to, lurking around and make comments like that just to stir us up...

If only they had tried a West Coast $20xx event!?! Oh, wait...they did...and you didn't go. So.....mostly because you suck. If I had a dollar for every guy who was going to the challenge and didn't, I'd have enough to build another challenge car!

Bryce

turboswede
12/4/13 12:10 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Per, what the hell would you know about gaming the game? We see what you're up to, lurking around and make comments like that just to stir us up...

Yeah, he and his brown Porsche would look a bit out of place there.

Nashco wrote:
If only they had tried a West Coast $20xx event!?! Oh, wait...they did...and you didn't go. So.....mostly because you suck. If I had a dollar for every guy who was going to the challenge and didn't, I'd have enough to build another challenge car! Bryce

Yeah. I resemble that. Jerk

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/4/13 12:14 p.m.
Rick Goolsby wrote: As far as Top Gear US, I was not aware that they would be having any involvement.

You should fix that. talk to their PR people NOW. We've been asking about it for a while http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/bring-tgusa-to-the-2012-challenge/49624/page4/

Finnerty
Finnerty New Reader
12/4/13 1:53 p.m.

So it used to say something like "If the rules don't say you can do it, you can't do it." Which is gone. I'm guessing now it's not against any of the listed rules to remove lots of factory sheet metal, you could welding 2 cars together, build a silhouette type car, etc?

Either way, I'm in this year, I will be the one winning all the trophies and making out with all the U of F girls in Halloween costumes.

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
12/4/13 2:45 p.m.

OK I will check with their PR people.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nkpQro8lycYtPZrccDkiy1pjJZHhH4bflW8uf1TyjvYNLqeXpKmuIupL0K3uk3yC