1 ... 4 5 6 7
boogerracing
boogerracing New Reader
12/6/13 12:45 p.m.

To answer westsidetalon - I think a certain Nova went over 100 mph on a back stretch and forevermore fear gripped the organizers. My brother is rather proud of the many rule changes he was directly responsible for - go Andy!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/6/13 1:52 p.m.

Brother?... Cool!

I've driven on that track... WITH Andy.

It's really easy to slow down a track with cones, slaloms, etc. That's what they were going to do in WV, if it had happened.

I like the road course at G'Ville, and would like to see it in action again. It's a lot more fun than cones in the parking lot.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
12/6/13 2:16 p.m.

I would also love to see the roadcourse.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/6/13 2:17 p.m.

It's fun the first few times.... 100mph, LOL there was a certain vette that hit 140ish and then the driver came to realize his tires were still a bit to cold to be doing that. Ended up in the drink at the end of the straight. Seen a NICE cobra replica destroy itself in the tree's/shed there as well.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/6/13 2:55 p.m.

Just so we all know what we're talking about...

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
12/6/13 5:09 p.m.

I have run on the road course a bunch in the past. Speeds are easily controlled with cones as has been previously posted. It is a fun course and I would be down for sure if they decided to use it again...

westsidetalon
westsidetalon Reader
12/6/13 5:48 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: Just so we all know what we're talking about...

OH YEAH! Thats what I'm talking bout!

......do I see a rally course to the west?

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/6/13 8:08 p.m.

I like the track, and really miss running there with MSCC. We used to rent it for mini-prix, but stopped after GIR jacked the price up. I think it is over $2200/day now. Now the club tends to use the parking lot at the convention center in Orlando, and I tend to not go to mini-prix events. (To be fair, though, I haven't autocrossed in quite some time.....all my free time and play money for the last few years has gone to the datsun replica. )

FWIW, some people who've lost it on the test track have gone through the barbed wire fence into the farmer's field that you see in the foreground. Look at it on google earth to get a better view of the layout
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=gainesville+raceway&ll=29.754281,-82.267642&spn=0.015294,0.01929&fb=1&gl=us&hq=gainesville+raceway&cid=5849340201418307173&t=h&z=16

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
12/8/13 7:47 p.m.

Like I said, we hear you. Pretty cool little course!

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
12/8/13 9:17 p.m.

I think it's possible to layout the course in a manner that will keep speeds low. It'd also be cool if we could use the skid pad.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
12/9/13 10:22 a.m.

So much potential awesomeness. You took away WV, give us the road course!

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
12/9/13 11:17 a.m.
miatame wrote: So much potential awesomeness. You took away WV, give us the road course!

Hopefully you're just joking.

In case you're not, quitcherbitchin! Hyperfest was not given and taken away, it was proposed and ultimately rejected before official dates were set. I appreciated GRM being open about potential changes, and would hate for them to be tight lipped in the future just because of a few squeaky wheels.

But hopefully you're just joking...

Bryce

miatame
miatame HalfDork
12/9/13 11:34 a.m.
Nashco wrote:
miatame wrote: So much potential awesomeness. You took away WV, give us the road course!
Hopefully you're just joking. In case you're not, quitcherbitchin! Hyperfest was not given and taken away, it was proposed and ultimately rejected before official dates were set. I appreciated GRM being open about potential changes, and would hate for them to be tight lipped in the future just because of a few squeaky wheels. But hopefully you're just joking... Bryce

lol, it was tongue in cheek. Although honestly, I would love to see it at Hyperfest in the future.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/9/13 11:35 a.m.

Yeah, miatame. Remember that they don't need to do this for us at all. Between the UTCC, the "my car's cheap, it was only $100K" (USCA) road series, the mitty, the One Lap, they have plenty of stuff to write about.

Also, this message board exists because they pay for it. We should not bite the hand that feeds us.

evildky
evildky Dork
12/9/13 11:40 a.m.

FWIW I think Alan does an amazing job giving us a fun fast course on the parking lot. The 2012 course has me well into third gear on a sweeper! Between the large lot and his skill as a builder we are able to have great high speeds and challenging technical bits, although drastic transitions car be a bit much for the novice. We also only have to grid/pit in one location, that location is paved and much closer to the facilities. The mini road course was fun but not worth revisiting IMHO.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
12/9/13 11:40 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: Yeah, miatame. Remember that they don't need to do this for us at all. Between the UTCC, the "my car's cheap, it was only $100K" (USCA) road series, the mitty, the One Lap, they have plenty of stuff to write about. Also, this message board exists because they pay for it. We should not bite the hand that feeds us.

Wow...no room for joking around here anymore. I am a poster boy for GRM. Do I have to start using those emoticons??

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/9/13 12:10 p.m.

Sorry, I'm a bit on edge right now....end of the semester, mountains of stuff to do.

Alternately, I may be from a small planet near Betelgeuse, and thus, bad at detecting human forms of humor.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Event Marketing
12/9/13 2:42 p.m.

You're on edge!? Try being the recipient of all the end-of-semester stuff!

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
12/9/13 4:10 p.m.
miatame wrote: Do I have to start using those emoticons??

Hopefully you're just joking.

In case you're not, of course you need to use emoticons!!! Do people on the internet correctly interpret and understand emotion with only text?!?

But hopefully you're just joking.

Bryce

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/9/13 4:26 p.m.
evildky wrote: FWIW I think Alan does an amazing job giving us a fun fast course on the parking lot. The 2012 course has me well into third gear on a sweeper! Between the large lot and his skill as a builder we are able to have great high speeds and challenging technical bits, although drastic transitions car be a bit much for the novice. We also only have to grid/pit in one location, that location is paved and much closer to the facilities. The mini road course was fun but not worth revisiting IMHO.

Agreed

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/9/13 7:49 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: You're on edge!? Try being the recipient of all the end-of-semester stuff!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Event Marketing
12/9/13 8:07 p.m.

I just finished my first final. IT IS 9PM AND I JUST FINISHED A FINAL.

I blame you, Joey.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/10/13 6:25 a.m.

It wasn't mine, so I share none of the blame

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
12/10/13 6:54 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: You're on edge!? Try being the recipient of all the end-of-semester stuff!

You're on edge!? Try having two sick kids, one potty training kid and one attitude kid, and getting less than five hours of sleep every night.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon Reader
12/10/13 10:40 a.m.
evildky wrote: FWIW I think Alan does an amazing job giving us a fun fast course on the parking lot. The 2012 course has me well into third gear on a sweeper! Between the large lot and his skill as a builder we are able to have great high speeds and challenging technical bits, although drastic transitions car be a bit much for the novice. We also only have to grid/pit in one location, that location is paved and much closer to the facilities. The mini road course was fun but not worth revisiting IMHO.

I remember certain photos of a certain Z car off course kicking up dirt rooster tails....maybe?!

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9I693Cj7FPCCXIR7d0MDqvcyL3ObeMVBQksTj0NH6gQThyp6ir4RqFYi8afpbQL7