1 2 3
Prototypical
Prototypical New Reader
4/7/16 11:11 a.m.
chaparral wrote: You want my mom's Mazdaspeed6. I'll let you know when it's available.

Does that mean she's selling it? lol I've always been curious about Speed6s but read that the MS3 is the better package when it comes to the DISI 2.3L.

I was 9/10ths of the way to purchasing a '04 330i ZHP a year ago and got cold feet (thanks to a particularly dishonest seller). I keep coming back to them as they fit the bill perfectly but the potential for maintenance scares me. I know there isn't any major Achilles heel with the E46 (other than the cooling system) but I don't have the time to be in the garage every weekend replacing something. I want to tinker on my time, not the car's.

After driving my FIL's Mazdaspeed Miata this week I'm confident that a decent backseat is necessary. Stuffing a 60lb dog in the passenger seat isn't enjoyable for either one of us. That said I'm hoping to "inherit" the MSM down the road as a third car.

Still considering the C30 as well. I have my eye on one with a few select modifications that should clean up the sloppiness of the stock P1 platform. I know there are a couple of C30 evangelists here?

Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/7/16 11:44 a.m.
Prototypical wrote: Still considering the C30 as well. I have my eye on one with a few select modifications that should clean up the sloppiness of the stock P1 platform. I know there are a couple of C30 evangelists here?

Yeah the Focus/Escape/Mazda5/Mazda3/C30/S40/ has lots of fans here. The C1/P1 & Global C platforms are really good.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
4/7/16 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Prototypical:

Yes, she's selling it. Want to take a trip to Massachusetts?

chriswadsworth
chriswadsworth GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/8/16 9:28 p.m.

E46 m3? E36 m3? No $15,000 mustang is truly comfortable but they are typically reliable. As a former Passat owner (with a stick) I must say it will take a lot of comfort to meet your standard. If not an NA BMW then perhaps the aforementioned Lexus plan might suffice. C32 amg would have worked (also had one of those but as you require a stick it will not suffice). I say E46 (maybe a 330i)

PerniciousLies
PerniciousLies New Reader
4/9/16 6:46 a.m.

Has anyone suggested a Lexus SC300? Manuals are rare, but they are out there. Should fit the luxury requirement. The back seats aren't the most spacious, but you should be able to find one well within your budget, and have plenty leftover for suspension, wheels/tires, etc.

ptmeyer84
ptmeyer84 Reader
4/9/16 8:17 a.m.

I would be shopping a 128i if I were you. I don't have any first-hand experience of them, but the specs fit what you are after. Not sure where you are located in Nebraska, but this one in Louisville would be worth checking out. It's an auto but you could check if the size would work.

BTW Go Big Red!

Prototypical
Prototypical New Reader
4/10/16 9:08 a.m.
chriswadsworth wrote: E46 m3? E36 m3? No $15,000 mustang is truly comfortable but they are typically reliable. As a former Passat owner (with a stick) I must say it will take a lot of comfort to meet your standard. If not an NA BMW then perhaps the aforementioned Lexus plan might suffice. C32 amg would have worked (also had one of those but as you require a stick it will not suffice). I say E46 (maybe a 330i)

I've definitely considered an E36 M3 but they are in a weird place now - the ones with mileage I'm comfortable with are too nice to be daily driven in the winter, and the ones that aren't have 160k mi on them (meaning a maintenance hog). The E46s, especially ZHPs are closer to what I need. That said - after nearly buying one out of state and backing out, the wife might kill me if I suggest buying another. Lol

I have considered checking out that 128i you suggested ptmeyer84! I'm in Omaha so Louisville isn't far. I don't have seat time with any 1 series so it would be worth a test drive.

One other caveat - I'm adjusting the budget down a bit due to some shifting priorities. Closer to 12k would be ideal (most of the suggestions so far still fit thankfully!).

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
4/10/16 2:09 p.m.

I will second the Genesis Coupe suggestion, especially the 2.0 turbo cars since they will fit your budget. I don't know if they are tuned for responsiveness or for midrange power. I will suggest an early 5th gen Camaro, a Sentra SE-R (and the Spec V), and the Mustang Cobra with the IRS. Maybe throw in the early CTS, too.

chriswadsworth
chriswadsworth GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/10/16 8:32 p.m.

In reply to Prototypical:They are in a strange place. They are not a good snow choice. Try a lexus on for size.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
20uLmW3mx8MUv3u95KXAftTs5ReusYrlOEfyPfAVHohyOuvQ8WSsDVE9OQBEOGHG