1 2 3 4 5 ... 112
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/3/12 4:06 p.m.

I would be awesome if a bare bones kit without bodywork was offered....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/12 4:22 p.m.

With regards to ABS - we have a Westfield customer who has done it. A carb'd engine shouldn't affect that at all. Use an adjustable proportioning valve to get the fundamental balance right with the ABS off and you should be good.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
12/3/12 4:33 p.m.

FENDERS ARE VERY IMPORTANT!

They really control the spray and they keep you from being blasted with sand and rocks.

I've vacuumed up almost 50 lbs of small rocks out of my car after one day of autocross.

I've also been blinded so badly after a sprinkle that I couldn't even drive on the track.

Keith Tanner
12/3/12 4:41 p.m.

Remember that the top of the tire has an airspeed that's twice the road speed of the car, so you can definitely clean things up with fenders. Caterham did some aero testing on the CSR and found that a little lip on the back of the fenders actually had some additional aero benefit.

Warren van Nus
Warren van Nus New Reader
12/3/12 4:56 p.m.

Carguy123: Rally flaps are obviously the answer. I just really like the BFG KDW tread pattern, I think that's why I like them naked.

Keith:

Hmm, I might have to bust out some simple CFD in my free time (hah) to find the point where fenders stop acting as airbrakes and become fairings. Interesting problem. That lip would be critical to any drag reduction, as it helps smooth out the slope of the trailing wake by creating a sharp boundary layer. A gentle slope down like in a normal fender would allow a later separation point that would pull more laminar air down, creating a nasty low pressure zone of lift and drag behind/above the tire.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
12/3/12 6:07 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to Warren van Nus: There are LOTS of carbed setups for the LSX on the aftermarket. It is just such a solid base that it makes more sense to run a carbed LS in your classic then deal with a 350 anymore. (IMO) I think his worries are more about the T5 longevity than the ability to attach it. Further on that though - You can get an aftermarket bell housing to attach a big Aisin series transmission (Toyota R154, Chevy RA5(?, the one in the Colorado and Solstice), and others) to a LS/Gen 1 small block. This would not be tons cheaper than just getting a t56 though. It would be smaller and lighter.

The carb attraction is simplicity. Run wires for each and you will see what I mean. I love EFI, but I think the carb might even be cheaper. (especially if you play with cams and such in the motor)

Longevity was my worry on the trans. Vorshlag had problems with the T5 on their e30 (may it RIP), then again, i guess it was fine in Keith's targa ride.

Interesting note on the Aisin trans, got a link on that stuff? I have a friend who would be very interested.

I am looking and seeing the possibility to build a monster for cheap that could be dirt simple and durable as heck.

Interesting notes on the ABS, my experience is with an STS miata (no abs), but I do need to develop my braking system.

Keith Tanner
12/3/12 6:09 p.m.

I didn't run the T5 on the Targa Miata, I have a T56. The shifter location might be a problem on the T5.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
12/3/12 8:15 p.m.
Warren van Nus wrote: Carguy123: Rally flaps are obviously the answer. I just really like the BFG KDW tread pattern, I think that's why I like them naked. Keith: Hmm, I might have to bust out some simple CFD in my free time to find the point where fenders become fairings. Interesting problem. That lip would be critical to any drag reduction, as it helps smooth out the slope of the trailing wake by creating a sharp boundary layer. A gentle slope down like in a normal fender would allow a later separation point that would pull more laminar air down, creating a nasty low pressure zone of lift and drag behind/above the tire.

I know Scott over at Bruntonauto with the superstalker is now adding louvers to the front fenders for reduced lift and integrated the rear fenders for cleaner air around the cockpit in the new "Mspec"

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/3/12 8:46 p.m.

Thanks for the info, I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
12/3/12 9:46 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_R_transmission

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/712567v--chevy-v8-amp-v6-to-jeep-wrangler-ax15-adapter-bellhousing-kit/

Those two will get you started. There are probably other companies that make adapters.

Warren van Nus
12/5/12 1:59 a.m.

Here's an idea of the kind of options that will be available as add-ons:

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
12/5/12 8:01 a.m.

Any possibility of small hitch, so I could tow a small Harbor frieght utility with it? I ask because I'd like it to be on the car and powdercoated with the frame.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
12/5/12 9:13 a.m.

^^^^ - this

Warren van Nus
12/5/12 9:17 a.m.

I had a fleeting thought of designing a hitch, but dismissed it due to the difficulty of dealing with the variety of mufflers people will add. I have a new idea on how to do it securely with a gusseted dropdown. I'll do some design and testing, as this will definitely warrant some FEA fatigue testing to make sure the thing doesn't break off or bend the chassis.

Thanks for the push, it's a solid option that I think is worth the development effort. Also, more rear weight FTW.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
12/5/12 9:29 a.m.

As light as these trailers would be, you might be able to design a couple plates that run fore-aft where you could bolt on an accessory hitch. This would allow for customization of the bolt-on part of the hitch to deal with exhaust choice. Most class2 receivers just bolt on to the frame anyway...

Could also make the hitch removable at the track for the real weight weenies.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
12/5/12 9:32 a.m.
Warren van Nus wrote: I had a fleeting thought of designing a hitch, but dismissed it due to the difficulty of dealing with the variety of mufflers people will add. I have a new idea on how to do it securely with a gusseted dropdown. I'll do some design and testing, as this will definitely warrant some FEA fatigue testing to make sure the thing doesn't break off or bend the chassis. It's a solid option that I think is worth the development effort. Also, more rear weight FTW.

That's excellent! As much as I like the Rocket, the Exocet just makes more sense from a financial point of view (since I already have a well prepped Miata).

Trailer so I could put tools, spare tires, couple of chairs, and ice chest would be fantastic.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
12/5/12 9:32 a.m.
Warren van Nus wrote: Here's an idea of the kind of options that will be available as add-ons:

That's cool, but if it were mine I'd mount a colored piece of lexan under the logo to keep the rain out, then light it internally with a few LEDs

If I build one, it will have to be at least rain resistant - weather's too unpredictable her in ole Georgy

Warren van Nus
12/5/12 10:32 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

This is under the hood.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
12/5/12 11:09 a.m.

you're assuming I'll have a hood...

okay, yeah, for rain squalls I probably will.....

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
12/6/12 4:46 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: The carb attraction is simplicity. Run wires for each and you will see what I mean. I love EFI, but I think the carb might even be cheaper. (especially if you play with cams and such in the motor) Longevity was my worry on the trans. Vorshlag had problems with the T5 on their e30 (may it RIP), then again, i guess it was fine in Keith's targa ride. Interesting note on the Aisin trans, got a link on that stuff? I have a friend who would be very interested. I am looking and seeing the possibility to build a monster for cheap that could be dirt simple and durable as heck. Interesting notes on the ABS, my experience is with an STS miata (no abs), but I do need to develop my braking system.
93EXCivic wrote: I would be awesome if a bare bones kit without bodywork was offered....
singleslammer wrote: In reply to Warren van Nus: Is that the exhaust dumping straight out the front?? Serious note, is there enough room behind the radiator for puller fans? Less serious reason, I want to paint teeth on the radiator for E36 M3s and grins.
wearymicrobe wrote: Total time to build in approx hours for someone who has built a number of kit cars.
v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
12/6/12 4:51 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: The carb attraction is simplicity. Run wires for each and you will see what I mean. I love EFI, but I think the carb might even be cheaper. (especially if you play with cams and such in the motor) Longevity was my worry on the trans. Vorshlag had problems with the T5 on their e30 (may it RIP), then again, i guess it was fine in Keith's targa ride. Interesting note on the Aisin trans, got a link on that stuff? I have a friend who would be very interested. I am looking and seeing the possibility to build a monster for cheap that could be dirt simple and durable as heck. Interesting notes on the ABS, my experience is with an STS miata (no abs), but I do need to develop my braking system.

I ran carb because the engine i got was carbed. It was a circle car motor that was pretty much fully built. all i had to do was add the front parts, and intake manifold up. i have like 850 invested in my whole engine. plus i have 5 or 6 wires going to my engine, makes life easier

My t5 is junk. 2nda nd 3rd syncros are junk. other than that, im fine with it. You could build this car for under 15k as i have it. if you werent as crazy as i was. prolly for 12k or so.

93EXCivic wrote: I would be awesome if a bare bones kit without bodywork was offered....

just ask. they will adapt it for your needs. they did me

singleslammer wrote: In reply to Warren van Nus: Is that the exhaust dumping straight out the front?? Serious note, is there enough room behind the radiator for puller fans? Less serious reason, I want to paint teeth on the radiator for E36 M3s and grins.

Yeah. i had no room for rear exit without making a custom header for driver side. so for now...its just hanging out.

I personally did not have room. if i used a factory sized radiator i most likely could. but im running a 3 core radiator and its too thick.

wearymicrobe wrote: Total time to build in approx hours for someone who has built a number of kit cars.

i had 13 days an average of 8 hours (sometimes i was lazy and did a few hours a day) give or take 10 hours.

I did it almost single handed in a single car garage. my dad lent a hand when he wasnt at work, or could (not 100% mechanically inclined). so if you have two people very knowledgeable then you would be even better. plus i did ALOT of extra custom stuff that isnt standard.

For a normal miata setup. if you are smart, you could do it in a week if you planned it well.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
12/6/12 8:04 a.m.

V8, I was theorizing on running an LS-based chevy motor. You can fit a T5 as used in a V6 camaro (or maybe the old 305's) behind one, but they break easily in that application. Reasons to look, they are much cheaper than a T-56 and weigh about 50lbs less. (T-56 used is >$1200 usually)

The 302 setup has a lot of merit as well. Apples and oranges.

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
12/6/12 8:45 a.m.

t-5s get confusing. my bad

Only reason i dont have an LS motor is cost. They are a bit better, but for alot more money. I got a smokin deal, so it is what it is. even after i pull it and replace some parts and refresh it, im still under the cost of a transmission for an LS swap (including my whole engine/trans, new ford racing flywheel/clutch)

so for us budget minded people. gotta roll with it.

i would much rather have an LS. or really an SR20. that would be the real ideal engine for this car

but we are getting off topic here. This new chassis is freaking awesome. Im bringing my exocet to saudi arabia to race and hten sell, then building a new version for racing. 250ish hp turbo 1.8 version. hope to develop a full aero package for it along with some other goodies i want to do.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
12/6/12 9:12 a.m.

Going to sell it to some Saudi Drifters?

Looking forward to seeing your next build

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
12/6/12 1:57 p.m.

actually yeah. There are two rounds at Reem international circuit i plan on running in FEB then it will be up for sale. should get enough to build a Lumina SS and another exocet out of it

1 2 3 4 5 ... 112

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ADoyCN9O9sHKT9hk4B0QUqYZ4hodESF175d09PrVxVXtgnZ8e7RUbPRiKZMRrQA5