1 2 3 ... 5
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/15 11:35 a.m.

EDIT: 6/9/15

For those that are still on the fence here is a video from a race a week back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJArG_Qnxm4

=============

Our current season is coming to a close (one more week left) and we will be testing for the next season after that for a week or so. This was some of the action we had last Wednesday.

photo Matterhorn Rotenboden_2_zpsiag22b1n.jpg

Close racing that some times does not end well.

Yes the graphics are that good!!!!! When you are driving. Aircooled has put together a great series that promotes close racing but using rules that promote clean tight racing. Just about everyone has had some sort of real on track experience and the racing reflects that. HOWEVER Real on track experience is not needed to join us. We encourage anyone that has ever wanted to try this to come over and take a look. There are a lot of great teachers in the group that can help with both on track and the tuning of cars. The point is to et people "on track" no matter what there level of experience is with on line racing.

We share setups and try and help people. We run 4 points based series. Two on Wednesday nights and two on sunday nights. Each series runs two races with the 2nd being a revers grid based on the first race results.

Handicappes are assessed to race winners and 2nd place as well as to competitors that get to far ahead in the points. The whole idea is to promote not only close racing on track but keep the points tight. Often it comes down to the last race of the season before we know who is the series champ.

All that being sais you don't need to commit to an entire season. Drop-ins are welcome and encouraged!!!! Race when you can!!!!

Next season we are looking at the following as possible series.

• Small Bore? - Pre 1972 stock cars less than 2l with only power adjustments to equalize the performance

• 90's Japanese cars? A tuner series with either a fixed performance points or a spec power to weight.

• Prototypes at 600pp? LMP prototypes tuner on race tires

• 423pp? A run your weirdest funniest car tuned to 423 performance points. Big wings are encouraged. Station wagons are encouraged. The winners car of each race is retires permanently. Diversity, weirdness and most of all a bit of light hearted fun is the point of this series.

• SSS S2000? Stock S2000's on a spec tire

• SSS Scirocco R? Again a stock Scirocco R on a spec tire.

• SSS 370Z? a stock 370Z on a spec tire.

• SSS CRZ touring car or Megane Cup Car? Testing of these are needed but similar to above a stock car on a spec tire.

• SSS Stepped RUF - Two races in each RUF car oil change only. Start with the Lowest performance point car run two weeks / races then step up to the next higher performance point car for two races.

As you can see we have a lot of diversity and are open to other suggestions.

Even if you don't want to race if you have a PS3 and GT6 you can drop in and watch the action live. We have a fun time. Most of us use headsets / mikes so we chat back and forth.

Our thread for this season is over in the Simulation Central part of GRM. Take a look and hopefully join us.

It is not "real" racing but it is a really REALLY good substitute.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/simulation-central/grm-gran-turismo-6-racing-league-series-5/98331/page1/

dean1484
4/24/15 11:38 a.m.

Some tight racing from earlier in the season.

dean1484
4/24/15 11:39 a.m.

And the other series we are currently running.

dean1484
4/24/15 11:42 a.m.

And these are the two series we are running on sundays

)

dean1484
4/24/15 11:43 a.m.

And I will stress again YES the graphics you are seeing here in the photos are that good when you are playing!!!

dean1484
4/24/15 11:46 a.m.

An account of one of our races

Advan046 wrote: ##BUG 2 The Start is funny as everyone seems to be on and off the NOS not sure of what to do.  photo Autodromo Nazionale Monza 80s_31_zpsv2ggbyjc.jpg Mr Yello goes for the lead and when I have a clear shot I gas it too. But I end up a little hot into the second chicane and almost take out Minty.  photo Autodromo Nazionale Monza 80s_32_zpsmwxqixrq.jpg We make it but going into the first lesmo the coco bug gets a little too aggressive and goes inside of the ghost bug right at the turn in point.  photo Autodromo Nazionale Monza 80s_33_zpsewfxydvr.jpg The results for both aren't good...  photo Autodromo Nazionale Monza 80s_34_zpsmy0eaaqv.jpg
Advan046 wrote: I proceed to bumble several attempts at bump drafting as I will not time it right and end up not hitting him square or about to hit him in a sweeper so I don't and go beside but don't push for the pass. I need to watch Air and Dean do it some more they seem to know how to do this stuff.  photo Autodromo Nazionale Monza 80s_35_zpsqtuqk8rw.jpg So after a few laps I give up and just go for the pass and hope for the best. Meanwhile beetroot gets a 5 car draft and realizes he can't whoa it down so he cuts inside.  photo Autodromo Nazionale Monza 80s_40_zpsgz9udimt.jpg  photo Autodromo Nazionale Monza 80s_37_zpseekncnfs.jpg Beetroot trying to give back the position while Yellow gets a little loose  photo Autodromo Nazionale Monza 80s_41_zpsodlz9kff.jpg Beetroot misjudges the carbon blue passing timing and ends up in the sand that starts the hard to avoid spin.  photo Autodromo Nazionale Monza 80s_42_zps6y84age2.jpg The former leader ends up way off track while beetroot seems to be in a nasty slide.  photo Autodromo Nazionale Monza 80s_38_zpsxtdnmjpr.jpg So the yellow and beetroot are going to have to use up a lot of NOS to get back into the fight.  photo Autodromo Nazionale Monza 80s_43_zpslolekr0k.jpg
Advan046 wrote: The orange lump and my pearl go into the parabolica, I think we are both aware of the odd smell of grinding steel as the terminator approaches.  photo Autodromo Nazionale Monza 80s_39_zpsm5nynfdt.jpg After a good long draft and NOS the Terminator is going 27 mph more than my pearl. Just unbelievable for these cars.  photo Autodromo Nazionale Monza 80s_44_zps8okq9l6o.jpg Orange and Pearl put up a good fight and push the Terminator back by the second chicane.  photo Autodromo Nazionale Monza 80s_45_zps1c3pjqph.jpg Right about here, we all want to get on the NOS but I am on the curb a little to avoid the Terminator so I have to hold a fraction of a second more.  photo Autodromo Nazionale Monza 80s_46_zps8o6bp3z0.jpg I didn't have the gearing and I know the orange lump had shorter gearing than me so we just have no chance of catching the Terminator....  photo Autodromo Nazionale Monza 80s_47_zpswjm4h9qd.jpg Terminator mission complete, infestation eradicated. No further action needed.
dean1484
4/24/15 11:54 a.m.

And some general great close racing shots from another race.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
4/24/15 11:57 a.m.

looks like fun

mancha
mancha New Reader
4/24/15 12:04 p.m.

Damnit! My Internet was all kinds of wonky on Wednesday. (I'm looking at you, AT&T!)

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
4/24/15 12:25 p.m.

While the graphics are good, I still would miss having the creative custom liveries I'm already used to.

Being able to roll into a spec Mosler m900 race and see solid color cars, then a pastel mixture of colors with Rainbow Dash down the sides is too epic to miss....especially when you beat the others with a MLP theme.

dean1484
4/24/15 1:07 p.m.

We try and keep it family friendly and being able to put custom liveries on cars can lead to some content that is less than kid safe. Also since we are wired up for live voice chat we stress that the language be kept family friendly as well. Many people racing with us have kids present in the room or watching so keeping the 4 letter words and some of the more colorful conversations out of the mix is also important.

Bearded.Bird
Bearded.Bird Reader
4/24/15 2:20 p.m.

Man, yall are going to make me find a ps3/gt6 combo just to join you guys even though im Forza loyal.

dean1484
4/24/15 4:23 p.m.

It is some serious fun. You really do get about 9/10ths of the real thing and as a bonus there is no car maintenance between races. Ohya and you can get up and get a cold one between races. We have several people that imbibe during the evenings. Some get better some.. .. . Well lets say it gets entertaining.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/24/15 4:37 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

dean1484
4/24/15 4:40 p.m.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
4/24/15 4:56 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

I usually have Thursday's off, so I'm typically drinking during the Wednesday night races

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/24/15 5:13 p.m.

Man, I wish I had time to play!

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/24/15 5:15 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon:

I usually don't have Thursdays off, so I'm typically drinking on Wednesdays

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
4/24/15 5:27 p.m.

Darn it...my son has a Xbox!

failboat
failboat UltraDork
4/24/15 5:43 p.m.
Bearded.Bird wrote: Man, yall are going to make me find a ps3/gt6 combo just to join you guys even though im Forza loyal.

Forza fanboy here. Was getting tired of FM4 and was not ready to shell out for an xbox one that wouldnt work with my wheel. Went for GT6/ps3 instead. Game is great and online play smoother than forza on my poor satellite connection.

dean1484
4/24/15 6:36 p.m.
scottdownsouth wrote: Darn it...my son has a Xbox!

With the PS4 being out for a while a used ps3 and a used version of GT6 are not that much.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/24/15 9:26 p.m.

I need to dust off the ol' wheel.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
4/24/15 9:58 p.m.

i recently got another ps3, guess i need to go hunt down gt6

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/24/15 10:17 p.m.

Some more pics for you:

I thought this series had a great look:

Hmmmm... ummm.... well, let's just say we aren't afraid to have a bit of fun sometimes (it's a form of team racing):

I have no idea what is going on here, but what a strange selection of cars:

One of my favorite series. It made for some great pictures (and no, the El Camino was not a good choice):

Putting everyone in stock Ruf 911's seemed like good idea... it worked out fine:

It's like a car, but for chicks:

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/24/15 10:19 p.m.

Mics are a go now?

I guess i'll pick up the game finally.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KPvEaH4Mfb9hNMxMbxJmjFFDdHfK0GlFPHnXwx0TTECQubL4G8pL3ub9FtvmNeIX