1 2 3 4 5
Wendo
Wendo New Reader
12/25/20 1:43 p.m.

Hello! Here is my shop. 40 x 75. 200 amp panel for welders, lift, lights etc. You will see a very old (100 years) lathe in one photo as well as tractor, 3 wheeled tree pruner. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
12/25/20 1:45 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

What is/was the body on the tube frame?

As for the rest of you.........some of you need to sweep up, of course my garage ain't exactly looking like an F1 factory.

Wendo
Wendo New Reader
12/25/20 1:52 p.m.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/25/20 1:53 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

It is/was a Subaru 360.  

Here is the build thread over on the Builds section.

LMP360 Build

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/25/20 1:55 p.m.

In reply to Wendo :

I would love that lathe. 

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/25/20 3:13 p.m.

This is my main workshop. It's 28' x 13'. It's heated which is nice but it's hard to work on much due to the width. But I make do. I also just started renting a 20 x 30 across the street. It's not heated or insulated, I'm going to start working on that in the spring. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
12/25/20 3:34 p.m.

Been in my house/garage a year and a half, still making changes and updates. Just got a new Infrared Radiant Heater hung, and I'm still adding vertical storage for wheels/tires and (currently) a race seat. I need to patch some of the exterior walls, and I will get a bigger tool box next year that I can add the finger brake onto, to be able to clear out a workbench and tool chest.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
12/25/20 5:51 p.m.

In reply to earlybroncoguy1 :

My favorite shop ever!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/25/20 5:52 p.m.

I guess the guy who started this should go. We have just a regular two-car garage, but turning it from a mess into something usable has been our slow-motion pandemic project. It's now really, really close. The GoJaks make it a three-car garage. LEDs are a recent (and inexpensive) addition. The two LED tubes beneath the cabinets are secured with magnets attached with the 3M trim tape purchased to reattach the side moldings to our old Pontiac wagon. On Monday, the Falkens get mounted on the Miata. 

After 15 or so years, the kitchen cabinets that we pulled from the curb finally started to collapse. We replaced them with the Craftsman cabinets at $100/each. The bench came with the house. Wish I had a "before" photo of the entire garage, but it was a mess. Re-homing stuff has helped. We got rid of several sets of wheels and tires, Honda parts, Subaru parts, Mini parts, Nissan 240SX parts, half-full bottles of motor oil, old lawn care products, cans of dried-up paint, an old jack, the pressure washer, an old basketball and more. How many cans of choke cleaner do we need? Doubles were given away. 

The old particle board shelves (to the left of the M3) were coming apart, so we had plywood cut to fit. Easy. (Yes, I do kinda enjoy detailing our cars.)

I now have a hamper for detailing rags. 

Our garage has a little closet for the water heater (and lawnmower). Before updating those shelves from particle board to plywood, we tossed a bunch more stuff--just old house stuff that had expired, like old fertilizer. You can't see it, but there's a shelf above the mower. It was full of old Honda parts: brake pads, ECU, gauge cluster, etc. That shelf is now clear. 

Gotta have tunes: The Bluetooth speaker was originally purchased for dining out on the porch. Works well in the garage, too. 

Yesterday I cleaned up this side of the garage. I bought that tire rack like 15 years ago. It's now (finally) assembled. Those shelves were crammed full of stuff. Now they aren't. A goal is to get everything off the ground. That box on the end contains Porsche parts that will soon be installed. The oil jugs next to the garbage can have been voted off the island. Plastic bins help. 

This just arrived: Park bicycle work stand. It bolts to the bench. 

And a success! I now have a pretty okay place to work on stuff. smiley

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/25/20 6:41 p.m.

Here's mine; photos from a few months ago, as it's too darn cold to walk out and shoot more tonight! Looking at these gives me some ideas for reorganization, which I'll probably tackle in the morning. The thing under the blue blanket is a Craftsman lathe from the '20s that still works great for the occasional bushing or spacer.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
12/25/20 6:49 p.m.

My shop is two hours away, but until we built it this summer, I had this garage:

Twenty years ago, when we bought this house, it was me and my wife and the red MGA.  The house had a single-car garage and a finished basement.

Over the years, we added cars, motorcycles, and three kids.  The garage became cramped so I knocked down a wall and took out a bathroom.  The red MGA now sleeps in that area.  Then it filled up again, so I knocked down another wall and converted another bedroom into garage.  It was still cramped.  Then we bought a farm two hours north and built a nice shop there.  I sold some cars and moved some up to the farm and decided last month to convert the second basement bedroom back into a place for people.

Here it is today: mid basement remodel, mid green MGA build,  cluttered up with junk, car parts, and snow play clothes, and generally feeling claustrophobic again.  When the snow melts and the green MGA is done and moved to the farm, it will be me and my wife and our red MGA.  Also present: our three kids.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
12/25/20 7:09 p.m.

I just installed my lift a few days ago. Will be putting up an awning to have a coverer workspace. This is outside my 2 car garage. Only plan to have this for a year or 2 before my 40x50 shop is built on the other side of the property. But the lift makes life so much better lol.

Shakydogracing
Shakydogracing
12/25/20 8:33 p.m.

Here is a pic of the new shop coming together. Waiting on the racking for the side which I'm standing in to build the Mezzanine. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/25/20 10:39 p.m.
Shakydogracing said:

Here is a pic of the new shop coming together. Waiting on the racking for the side which I'm standing in to build the Mezzanine. 

So you're the one that bought that lot of Fastenal bins that's been floating around my Facebook Marketplace shares lately :)

Wendo
Wendo New Reader
12/25/20 10:41 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) :

Its a very cool lathe. A retired friend came by to fix a  new cnc machined piece for model A. Got well within spec for how old it is. 

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/26/20 9:32 a.m.

Don't clean it first....you're killin' me Wallens.

I tried to get a little overlap in these pics from each end. 30x48 pole building. I insulated and finished the interior solo. HVAC is an old geothermal unit ripped out of a vacant residential structure on the same property. 200a service with four 220v circuits(geo needed two alone) and six 110v, and still needs more outlets...and more lights, and more shelves!

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
12/26/20 2:17 p.m.

This shop, sitting at the end of the driveway 90* to the house, is one of the main reasons we bought this place. 

The PO built it for his woodworking shop about 2 years before we bought the place. I'm told it's 24'x35' but I've never measured it. It's got the double roll up door in front and a single manual overhead door into the back yard. It's wired with 220 and 110 and pretty well insulated. 

the Mustang and the boat normally live here, leaving me just enough to do the small day to day projects without rolling them out. 

on the left there's a wood rack the PO built that and I still use. Toward the back of the left wall is my metalworking area. 

on the right side there's a 220v 5gal air compressor in the corner by the door, then my derailing stuff, then assorted jack stands by the widow, then a shelf unit that holds automotive fluids and associated junk. 

the back right corner is general workbench, tool cabinet with workbench top, and general fastener storage. I also have to park the mower in here currently. 

th left rear corner is power tool storage and a place to park the welder cart. 

here's a better look at the metalworking area. One massive steel bench and a wood top steel frame bench, both reclaimed from disposal at different place of employment. The grinder and drill press are beyond that. 

I love this shop. I've got a couple window AC units that keep it cool enough in the GA summer, it's easy to heat with portable electric heaters. I love having the space to tear something apart and leave it safely when I get tired. Cleaning and organizing is a continuous fight, but that's shop life. If the ceiling was higher than 8' I'd have a lift, but that about all I'd change about it. 

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
12/26/20 2:31 p.m.

My entry way, currently cluttered with two sets of wheels to get rid of, a quad here for winter storage, and a few for sale items.

Party tent stored over the door eighth seat for the Expedition on the shelf.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
12/26/20 2:31 p.m.

Here we see my in-process shop barge, cooling fans, refreshment center and shop crane.  Sweet antique floor scrubber, plasma and tig also present.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
12/26/20 2:32 p.m.

View from the shop barge.   Of note here, I need more tire storage, race tires and winter tires need new homes, how about one more low shelf.  Cord on the floor powering the work bench as a reminder to finish off the electrical outlets, currently only have two walls almost done.  Drywall lift needed to add a ceiling some day, once osb goes back down to $10 from the current $24/sheet.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
12/26/20 2:33 p.m.

View from clutter corner towards the workshop side.  Again walls need osb or steel and paint, clutter is ongoing, I need help.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
12/26/20 2:34 p.m.

This I can live with, after these photos I organized some surfaces filling a trash barrel and collecting a pile that will go in the stuff for sale section soon.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
12/26/20 2:34 p.m.

My wood shop, and below a hose reel for the front garage and charger for the racecar sitting on a parts washer.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
12/26/20 2:35 p.m.

Overview of the storage/work area that does not require a lift section.  This is a 24 x 28 11' side wall with cathedral ceiling pole barn, bad cement, good epoxy covering.   Yes a stupid size, why?  I don't know my limit was 24 x 32, some day I may bump out one side for a small tool shop and compressor room.  Due to time constraints of having a life (read wife and kids) this is where I maintain the fleet, slowly mod the HDPE/DD Mustang and attempt to keep the Lemons car turning laps.  Someday I would like to save an old car or take on a more challenging build.

View from the outside.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
12/26/20 2:41 p.m.

Really impressed with some of the "shops" some of you posted up. Also impressed by how much people manage inside of a regular garage.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
imh8PrVf4W2mCFkQznZ88PhDkGQa7vq9fDMe2CFdccslNlS9oYHk93Kp4UokUr9o