solfly
solfly Dork
12/11/21 10:54 a.m.

Someone asked me where to start with their new project car. I started with duster's "safe, reliable, cool" and elaborated. Here's what I came up with. What do you have to add?

Safe: Check the brakes. Flush the brake fluid. Check the front end. Check the steering shaft. Replace any questionable components. Get an alignment. Check the tire condition and date. Replace if needed. Check your lights.

Reliable: Service the transmission (filter, gasket and fluid). Service the rear differential. (Also a good time to identify both of those and figure out gear ratio, limited slip etc). Check and Replace coolant if needed. Check the condition of the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. Replace as needed. Also identify the engine and ignition system. Replace points and condenser if it has them. Get an extra set of those and keep them in the glove box. Same with the ignition module, get an extra. Check the condition of the radiator hoses, heater hoses and vacuum lines. Replace as needed.

Cool: That's up to you!

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/11/21 2:15 p.m.

Great way to approach this hobby.  You will always have more fun with project cars you can enjoy along the journey. 

GeddesB
GeddesB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/12/21 8:59 p.m.

'Project Car' is a broad term and there is a lot of variables to this idea.  For instance, if your project car is a 350z that someone was daily driving, that is far different from the '63 Bug Eye Sprite that's been parked for decades.  

Don't get me wrong, BOTH need to be safe, but the path to getting there is likely a different road.  The daily driven car will likely just need a good once over.  The garage find; a complete rebuild of everything is prudent.   The daily driver could be probably be made safe and reliable in a weekend or two, the stagnant-for-decades car may take a year before it is ready for the road.  

Opti
Opti Dork
12/12/21 10:01 p.m.

Ive never heard it put so eloquently. "Safe, reliable, cool." It took me many years to realize it wasnt "Fast, more fast, cool, safe, then reliable." I think duster's saying is best with a slight caveat. "Safe (drivable), reliable, cool" Ive seen too many projects that languish, especially old cars, because they try to do everything before making it drivable, and I think if you want to keep interest for most people they need to be able to enjoy the car. So if it applies, as soon as you can make it safe, make it drivable, even just a little shakedown drive around the block or to the gas station does wonders for motivation.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
12/12/21 11:36 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

Very well said. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/21 6:30 p.m.

If you want to make a project car even more of a project car let your 13 year old have access to the keys.

12/13/21 8:52 p.m.
Stampie said:

If you want to make a project car even more of a project car let your 13 year old have access to the keys.

It pained me to read that.  I'm still not ready to discuss it.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/13/21 8:56 p.m.

I cannot take credit for "safe,reliable, then cool"

That was my dad. 

When i was 14.

And 16.

And 22.

And.....

I finally learned though!!!

So, thanks dad. 

(His other big one: not running is an inconvenience. Not stopping will kill you. ")

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/21 9:31 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

It's ok.  Ain't nothing in life that can't be fixed other than death.

12/14/21 7:36 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I still hurt mechanically too.  It's one heck of a learning experience though.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
12/14/21 9:58 p.m.

Not sure I would ever pull unknown mileage spark plugs to check them without replacing them. Same with wires. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MJbz8FZVqB6lg15QaGo98YYoKAqyO7wwZHZCm8VBPRufj7zsLq1TmKgVN56zTKKG