1 2
GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/18/22 9:35 p.m.

I wonder if the Honda path is better to get a Civic Sport with turbo and six speed and just add to it. ECU tune, suspension and even if you paid someone to swap in a LSD it would be cheaper than an Integra. 

I doubt you can find one for a decent price but what about Corolla GR. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/18/22 10:15 p.m.

I didn't drive the Integra today, but based on JG's driving impressions and our lap times... it's time to go GTI shopping. My Mk. 7 was a few seconds faster, while a Mk. 8 GTI is roughly 6 seconds/lap faster than the Integra. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/20/22 4:20 p.m.

In reply to GTwannaB :

I had a Corolla LE for 30 days as a rental.  The GR would need to be nearly 0% Corolla for me to even consider it.  There was so much awful about that car, I think less of Toyota for it.  It was truly a car for people that hate cars.  I now know why GR had to add all those welds to a Corolla.  It wasn't done to make it awesome, it was done to make it barely suitable for their intended use I fear. 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/21/22 5:22 p.m.

Is this a vehicle that will be owned off of warranty?

If so, then you are going to the land of the rising sun for fun.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/21/22 8:02 p.m.

In reply to GTwannaB :

I just learned today that an auto forte gt with bolt ons make 250whp and will run 12.881@109 on the drag strip. I think that would be an option for me. 

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/21/22 8:59 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Nice, what tuner?  

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/2/22 8:56 p.m.

Deposit made. Headed to North of Chicago tomorrow to get to the dealer when they open at 9:00 a.m. I'll update on the way home.

*Que Jeopardy music*

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/2/22 9:31 p.m.

Kind of an exciting story to follow.  Headed to the north side.......?  (Now I'm thinking of big dealers - I'm guessing Autobahn VW?  Evanston)

PMRacing
12/3/22 4:18 a.m.

I woke up!  2 hours earlier than normal even!  Hitting the road in t-15 minutes.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/3/22 8:08 a.m.

Safe travels!

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
12/3/22 9:01 a.m.

I just wanted to give my input even though you've already put a deposit on something already (skimmed the thread, not sure which one you went with). I had a 2017 F56 JCW Mini 2 Door Manual and it was dead reliable for me. Just basic maintenance. I daily drove it, autocrossed it and tracked it and never had a single problem. The OEM brakes didn't even fade at WGI (Spec Miata Racer/advanced run group driver). Great amazing little car.

Also just realized you're the one I almost bought the Audi from but I found a mint Miata locally. Great car by the way!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/3/22 9:40 a.m.

I have an R53 MINI (2006) and while I've pressed it into DD use, I don't know if I'd want to count on it over a long period of time as a primary.   I am still fairly active in local MINI community and the newer F56 model has quietly proved to be a very reliable car.  I still prefer the R53 as a driver's car (having owned a classic Mini, the R50/53 model is closer to those than any of the subsequent models), but I can accept the inherent drawbacks of the design since the car is an occasionally driven toy. 

All that said, if I were looking for a modern compact DD, I'd be looking for a used CTR in black.  While most folks prefer the more subtle styling of the new 2023 version, I have grown to like the more over-the-top styling when paired with a color that tones down all of the black plastic. 

PMRacing
12/3/22 11:08 a.m.

Deal is done. Just waiting for final paperwork. Windshield hit cost me $1k!  $€°¢×•{•✓¥=€#+$+&)&(@;#berkeley!

Now for the drive back.  I'll miss the S4, but the new car will hopefully save me $ in the long run.  Pics when I arrive home!

PMRacing
12/3/22 11:35 a.m.

Bye bye S4. You were awesome!  

PMRacing
12/3/22 2:31 p.m.

In MI. Stopped for a bio break and food.  About 3 hrs to go.

The car is awesome!  Comfortable and quiet. Breaking it in so haven't redlined yet but it is quick!  Quick snack then back on the road!

PMRacing
12/3/22 6:40 p.m.

Home. Had dinner.  Here's a sneak peak.  More tomorrow when I'm rested. . Meet Trooper.  Storm Trooper the GTI

PMRacing
12/4/22 9:19 p.m.

Sorry, I was slacking on this.  

No pics right now.  So far I'm enjoying the car.  Tomorrow begins it's main DD duty. This review is based on about 400 miles of highway driving and some around the town errands today.

Today I spent time learning the infotainment.  It's got it's quirks but so far isn't as bad as the reviews. 

Driving wise the car is great. Being in Vehicle dynamics I wanted a car that has good ride and handling.  The semi active damper tuning in this car is very good so far. I haven't played with all the settings but I am impressed with the quality of ride and the handling response. I don't plan on tracking this car so, I'm not too concerned about track work but I fully believe GRM's review after driving the car myself (it was one reason the car was on my list).  You can feel the dampers changes when you switch modes.  There are 15 of them!  

The only issue so far is the phone charging. It has a wireless charger pocket. My phone (Google Pixel 6 pro) will charge for a short time then get hot.  The the screen will pop up the "Phone charging" message repeatedly as charging turns on and off.  Quite annoying. I've had to resort to using the cord for charging.  Not a deal breaker.  There have been software updates so screen speed and scrolling seem better than some early reviews I've seen.  The screen does show fingerprints though and the unlit controls are not ideal.  

If you're the type to set and forget, you'll be fine.  If you like to fiddle with controls while driving or don't use automatic climate control, you'll dislike this system.

I don't plan on doing a blog of this car here, but if you have questions, feel free to ask!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/5/22 10:15 a.m.

The wireless charger in my Land Cruiser fries my iPhone12.  It charges but gets the phone super duper hot

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GZ3Dnj8ylYU8XnYdcUGDmuTv67tjImwC6AE6ciL56ouRGT2VzlyutcpnYHThLMfI