CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/28/22 9:57 p.m.

I have searched high and low on the interweb. I see how to modify the H9 bulb to fit the H11 housing. Easy as pie. 
I read a lot of hear say about melting wires and housings but zero proof, zero photos. All it is is speculation. 

So I ask you here, does anyone have experience with putting an H9 bulb in place of an H11? Good/ bad?

I don't think LED is good enough yet and I don't want HID. 

Thoughts?

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/31/22 4:54 a.m.

Anyone?

ian sane
ian sane GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/31/22 11:15 a.m.

I'd assume people freak out because the h9 are a 65w bulb vs the h11's 55w. Is ten watts going to make a difference in melting wires? Probably not. But, it is a difference you should be aware of.

Is this in a reflector housing or projector?

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
3/31/22 12:55 p.m.

I snipped the metal tab and plastic tab and threw it in the headlight of my Chevy Colorado. The DRL's are the low beams and I haven't burned down the truck yet, so I think it's fine.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/31/22 2:41 p.m.

if it's a projector housing, he LED's are really good for the H11(B). If it's Korean, I'd not change from the 55W bulb because they just barely used big enough wire, especially older cars.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/31/22 4:28 p.m.

I ran 80/90w bulbs in place of my stock 55/65w in my '98 Camry for years (albeit with an upgraded harness). No issues to speak of.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/31/22 5:24 p.m.

Its a '13 Honda Odyssey with projector style headlight.

And yes, I am worried about the extra causing issues. It always seems like you cant have your cake and eat it too so I am overly cautious.

I thought about LED but lots of mixed reviews about actual improvement outside if a whiter light. Lots of cutoff and light beam shape concerns

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/31/22 5:38 p.m.

I have a 2017 Odyssey, with non-HID headlights. I run Sylvania XtraVisions in mine, which are basically a SilverStar without the added coating to produce the whiter light. Along with proper aiming, I'm pretty happy with the light they produce.

OdyClub is a decent forum, if there's a good LED option out there, someone will have posted about it.

ian sane
ian sane GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/4/22 2:37 p.m.

In reply to CarKid1989 :

Projectors are less of an issue with beam spread/glare. But reduced output could be a concern because of the location of the light source.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
4/4/22 5:29 p.m.

I used to do this in one of my older cars (maybe my 2009 WRX?) and it was pretty simple. Just trim a tab off in the bulb with an X-Acto knife and install it. The 10W difference never melted wiring or anything like that. They had halogen projectors, and with normal H9 halogen bulbs, it helped a bit without being obnoxious to other drivers. Be warned that they will burn out quicker than a H11. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/4/22 6:33 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I didn't know that was possible. H11's burned out fast for me. While her Sierra is still running the original 9006/9005 bulbs from 2006. 

spandak
spandak Dork
4/7/22 12:22 a.m.

Yep. Have them in my crosstrek. They've been in there a couple of years now. Noticeable improvement! Highly recommend

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TA6lOMSAYWjsYPOCS8qyXtSRond2SAG4au8uhS1Fdo6VfrLtzcK1z1zxKSFhLGQG