Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/24/21 3:54 p.m.
feature_image

Hallett Motor Racing Circuit—located 35 miles west of Tulsa, Oklahoma—announced the 36th annual Competition Motorsport Association Championship.

The six-weekend series, set to start March 26 and end October 31, is structured to “fulfill the aspirations of local amateur racers with an organized race series.” The full schedule is as follows:

• Round 1: March 26-28
  • Round 2: April 23-25
  • Round 3: …

Read the rest of the story

drock25too
drock25too Reader
3/24/21 4:38 p.m.

Very cool.  Happy to see this on the forum .

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/24/21 8:21 p.m.

I might be able to make the September and/or the October events.  I'll have to see how my schedule shapes up.

NoviceClass
NoviceClass Reader
3/24/21 11:16 p.m.

Hallett also does their HPDE events (they call it HST) on the same weekends as COMMA. Makes for a fun weekend, with new guys getting lots of exposure at how Legends, Spec Miatas, open wheel and other classes go and how the racing is.

A lot of the COMMA guys there started driving at their HPDE events, and saw something they liked.

They also run the track both ways. Standard direction is CCW, but a few weekends they run CW, keeps everyone on their toes.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/25/21 9:25 a.m.

After thinking about this overnight I'm even more interested in trying to make it to an event.  I'd run either my Formula Ford or optimistically, a yet to be built, or even purchased Spec. Miata.  Does anyone know what kind of car counts those classes are likely to have and what kinds of cars typically run in the open wheel class?

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/25/21 10:20 a.m.

I've been there with the PCA and some HST and loved it. Only track I've driven. Before going, I watched a lot of video to get prepped. This one of a Formula Vee race is one of my favorites of the track:

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/25/21 4:40 p.m.
APEowner said:

After thinking about this overnight I'm even more interested in trying to make it to an event.  I'd run either my Formula Ford or optimistically, a yet to be built, or even purchased Spec. Miata.  Does anyone know what kind of car counts those classes are likely to have and what kinds of cars typically run in the open wheel class?

They're usually pretty well attended.  Note that Hallett runs Spec Racer Fords and some other purpose built cars in the open wheel races, so between them and the FFs there can be quite a few cars from different open wheel classes on the track at the same time.  This is from the COMMA rule book, which is available on the Hallett website: "The Open-wheel classes include all open-wheel and closed- wheel single-seat purpose-built race cars such as: Formula Vee, Formula Continental, Formula Mazda, Formula Ford, Spec Racer Ford, World Sports Racer, and Ariel Atoms."

NoviceClass
NoviceClass Reader
3/25/21 8:56 p.m.
APEowner said:

Spec Miata and Legends car are by far the most populated classes at Hallett,  any given weekend I would guess 12-20 of each group.  Open wheel varies, sometimes 6-10, sometimes just 3 or 4 show up.

You can go here  https://hallettfotoshoppe.com/  and see photos of any COMMA weekend, to give you a better idea of what is out there.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
txDvYzX5ZGtLnNPRQFwUHfXxVfjhtmbzoJdixsfP87MhHSbp8zvQqAdtGrT7s4zV