1 2
Walletsmallerthanideas
Walletsmallerthanideas New Reader
1/8/20 9:50 a.m.

Hey guys and gals,

For the upcoming season, I am looking to get a HANS device of some sort to protect my noggin. What do you guys use and what tips do you have for attachment styles, etc? Either what you use or what you've heard is good. 

thanks!

chris

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
1/8/20 10:07 a.m.

I have the Zamp Zetec. I like the adjustability to for different sized people. I've not had issues with the clips but others have and Zamp issued a newer style clip. 

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/8/20 11:03 a.m.

I have a NecksGen Rev that I like. It works with 3" belts, and it has more side impact protection without requiring a halo seat.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
1/8/20 11:13 a.m.

In reply to Walletsmallerthanideas :

Hey Chris, what's your intended purpose? Target price range? There's limited options, but it would help tailor what you're looking for. 

Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer Reader
1/8/20 12:42 p.m.

+1 for NecksGen.  I have a Rev II Lite that is pretty darn awesome, and reasonably easy to get on and off (or as easy as any of these are).  Haven't had to test it's effectiveness yet, and am planning on keeping it that way.  wink

Walletsmallerthanideas
1/8/20 12:50 p.m.

Thanks everyone for the responses! Keep em' coming...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/20 12:53 p.m.

I'm using the Zamp as well. It works, it passes tech, it was under $200 from Speedway Motors last year. Good enough. Probably not the lightest, or most comfortable, but the adjustability is nice as well because the entire family can use the same one. 

Walletsmallerthanideas
1/8/20 12:56 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

Hey Chris, what's your intended purpose? Target price range? There's limited options, but it would help tailor what you're looking for. 

Thanks accordian.  My intended purpose is to be safer (or at least safer being relative to nothing.)  In doing my first HPDE's last year, it opened my eyes that without any safety equipment, the speeds, g's, and positions that you are in are similar things to certain race events that have full safety.  For example, I was getting up to around 115 mph on the front straight (not saying that was a fast straight but just what I got to) at NHMS, with an instructor of course.  But regardless, if I misstep or another car missteps, that would be bad.  I am hoping the HANS would make it less bad haha. 

I am interested in comfort, ease of getting in and out of it and cost concscious but understand the importance over saving a buck.  I doubt I would do wheel to wheel racing but definitely SCCA time trial and other club time trial type stuff.

Thanks again!

Chris

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) HalfDork
1/8/20 12:59 p.m.

Another +1 for NecksGen Rev II!  I used a HANS Pro from 2008 (I think) to 2018. I am 5'11" 200lb, and have a thick, short neck. The HANS never felt very comfortable when I was squeezed into a Spec Miata or other small car.  What was worrying was that the high back profile of the HANS made it hard to get in and out of the car quickly, and this got worse when we switched to a containment seat.  I tried many other options like the ZAMP, but the configuration of the chest pieces often meant that they rubbed against the bottom edge of my helmet.  Not great.

The Rev II I bought for 2018 season is totally night and day.  Very comfortable, I basically forget its there. I can get in and out of the car no problem,  I am more comfortable now in a containment seat than I was when wearing the HANS in a non-containment seat.

1/8/20 1:03 p.m.

Chris - Does your car have 5/6 point harness? If not, the HANS/ZAMP/REV wont work for you because they rely on dual shoulder belts to hold them in place.  Simpson makes a device called the "Hybrid" that connects to straps you wear around your chest that might be an alternative for use w a single shoulder strap, but I am not sure how effective it would be. Simpson Hybrid

Walletsmallerthanideas
1/8/20 1:07 p.m.
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) said:

Chris - Does your car have 5/6 point harness? If not, the HANS/ZAMP/REV wont work for you because they rely on dual shoulder belts to hold them in place.  Simpson makes a device called the "Hybrid" that connects to straps you wear around your chest that might be an alternative for use w a single shoulder strap, but I am not sure how effective it would be. Simpson Hybrid

Thanks Mahattan.  I am upgrading the car with OMP seats (sliding around sucks) and proper harnesses so I will be good!

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
1/8/20 1:08 p.m.

In reply to ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) :

This is a bit confusing but my understanding is that only the Simpson Hybrid *S* is designed to work with a three point seat belt (vs full seat/harness setup).  What's the difference between the two?  I don't have a good answer...

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/simpson-hybrid-s

1/8/20 2:04 p.m.

Great! Bear in mind that some people --and track orgs-- have strong views against harnesses without a rollbar or cage.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
1/8/20 2:16 p.m.

I have both a HANS and a Simpson Hybrid.  I bought the HANS something like 8 years ago and ran it in my fully prepped cars, so race seats, rollbars/cages, 6 points etc.  It took a little getting used to, it really constrains your ability to turn your head.  Comfort wise it doesn't really bother me.

I got the Simpson Hybrid for a few reasons, one is I didn't like having to take my HANS off when I got into a students car that didn't have anything but a stock 3 point and right now, my 911 only has stock 3 points.  The speeds the 911 can go on track are obscene and I felt very uncomfortable without some sort of head and neck restraint.  I'm sure it's a false feeling of safety as I still don't have a rollbar in the car but it does make me feel better.  I find it just as comfy as the HANS.

The difference between the Simpson Hybrid and Hybrid S is that one (I think the S?  Whichever is more expensive) can also work with 6 point harnesses.  It has two tails with eyelets on them that attach it to the 5-6 point harness.  However both of them can work with 3 point harnesses.

If I had to do it all over again I'd just buy the Simpson that works with both 5-6 and 3 point belts.  No need to have multiple types.

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
1/8/20 3:32 p.m.
docwyte said:

The difference between the Simpson Hybrid and Hybrid S is that one (I think the S?  Whichever is more expensive) can also work with 6 point harnesses.  It has two tails with eyelets on them that attach it to the 5-6 point harness.  However both of them can work with 3 point harnesses.

I'm not sure the history of both products as I just bought one this year, but if you look at the link above the Hybrid S is the only one claimed to work with 3 pt belts (Hybrid does not).  I was personally confused on why one is 2x the price of the other as they look pretty identical, but erred on the side of caution in getting something that's explicitly for 3 pts vs. the regular Hybrid.  

Seems like it's not relevant for the OP though.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
1/8/20 3:48 p.m.

This seems like an Awesome deal and I'll likely kick myself for not jumping on it right now (need tax refund first). 

newrider3
newrider3 New Reader
1/8/20 4:47 p.m.

I'm also using a Zamp Z-Tech 1A, but almost completely for budgetary reasons. It's far and away less comfortable than the HANS-brand HANS we rented once. The adjustability seems completely unnecessary, and it really beats the berkeley out of your shoulders. I would steer clear of the Zamp if you have the budget.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/8/20 6:03 p.m.
bcp2011 said:
docwyte said:

I'm not sure the history of both products as I just bought one this year, but if you look at the link above the Hybrid S is the only one claimed to work with 3 pt belts (Hybrid does not).  I was personally confused on why one is 2x the price of the other as they look pretty identical, but erred on the side of caution in getting something that's explicitly for 3 pts vs. the regular Hybrid.  

Seems like it's not relevant for the OP though.

The Hybrid S uses the carbon brace down your spine and the fabric truss around your torso to tie the device into you instead of needing a harness to do so.

Safety solutions developed it as the Hutchens Hybrid, and it became a Simpson product when Simpson bought them in 2010

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 New Reader
1/8/20 6:48 p.m.
chrispy said:

This seems like an Awesome deal and I'll likely kick myself for not jumping on it right now (need tax refund first). 

Lack of SNELL kills this for HPDE.. .

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/8/20 8:06 p.m.

Wife and I each use the Zamp Z-Tech 6A, and have been happy with it.  No issues with shoulder discomfort, but I haven't used anything else, so I can't make direct comparisons.

spacecadet
1/9/20 12:09 a.m.
Olemiss540 said:
chrispy said:

the G force should be SA2015. I'm not sure how that would not be HPDE friendly.

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/9/20 6:51 a.m.
Olemiss540 said:
chrispy said:

They don't list in in the details, but if you scroll down to "What's in the Kit" it shows that the helmet is SA2015.

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/9/20 7:27 a.m.

Another good budget option:

https://www.murraymotorsport.com/evo-hans-device-20-degree

i bough that one from Murray Motorsports when I bought seats so shipping wasn't bad. They can't legally ship HANS to the US, but they can ship everything else. The Schroth is owned/made by HANS or vice versa. It came in a HANS box. Quality looks great and the snap clips are very easy to attach. Thumbs up on this one. 

Edit: Also FIA approved if that matters for your sanctioning body. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
1/9/20 7:54 a.m.

Hmm, ok.  Well there's one Simpson Hybrid that works with both 5-6 point harnesses as well as 3 points.  It was ~$150ish more than the "regular" one that only works with 3 points.  That's the one I'd buy...

spacecadet
1/9/20 8:12 a.m.
docwyte said:

Hmm, ok.  Well there's one Simpson Hybrid that works with both 5-6 point harnesses as well as 3 points.  It was ~$150ish more than the "regular" one that only works with 3 points.  That's the one I'd buy...

i think you misunderstood.

Hybrid S is the only one that works with 3 point seatbelts. It also works with harnesses.

the Hybrid pro and all other HANS and head and neck restraint devices work only with shoulder harnesses.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lq9MNNYm0o3v7iDtjLcV4jwEd4sixsotOJ6HLnDQ20GwmD7UjpZH0nH9wu3GKgM9