1 2
vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
6/6/17 11:22 a.m.

So, I bought a tire changer from Harbor Freight. I have read mixed reviews here but I wanted to give it a try, I needed to remove old tires from wheels stacked up in the shop...plus I wanted to see if I could mount a wheel onto a rim with it. Well, the dang thing worked ok. It needs reinforcements for some of its weak parts, but it worked. I did a video of the tire changing to give folks an idea of what it took. I think the tire changer is worth the $40, but it will break soon after using it a few times, so be ready to modify the thing,

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/6/17 11:27 a.m.

Awesome! I just got one too so I will watch your video.

vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
6/6/17 11:28 a.m.

It's a bit of a workout...and I couldn't do a runflat tire...but it works

Robbie wrote: Awesome! I just got one too so I will watch your video.
wae
wae Dork
6/6/17 11:29 a.m.

Mine worked fairly well once I bolted it to the floor until the pry bar that it came with snapped in half. Other than buying a whole new changer, any ideas on where to get or build a replacement?

vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
6/6/17 11:32 a.m.

I plan on making parts for the Harbor Freight version. The Harbor Freight version is a good start for a changer...better than building from scratch, but it will need mods to work. The long pry bar is not strong enough, neither is the foot used to break the bead. So, I will be making better versions of those parts In reply to wae:

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
6/6/17 11:54 a.m.

I ;put a section of plastic coolant jug on the end of the bar that contacts the wheeland with a little soapy water it slides a little easier.

I also put the tires in the sun a while before I work on them.

vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
6/6/17 12:08 p.m.

I should have heater the tires out in the Sun. I can see how that would make the carcass much softer and pliable In reply to MulletTruck:

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/17 12:16 p.m.

I've been thinking about get one. I was thinking of using nylon on parts that touch the rim to avoid scratching alloy ones.

vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
6/6/17 12:19 p.m.

I didn't think about nylon. Great idea. Here is an idea. Get a nylon/plastic cutting board and cut it to fit the wheel perch so that it metal doesn't contact the wheel.

That will be next on my list. Thanks!

Stampie wrote: I've been thinking about get one. I was thinking of using nylon on parts that touch the rim to avoid scratching alloy ones.
porschenut
porschenut Reader
6/6/17 12:20 p.m.

Bought the smaller version for trailer tires. After doing about 10 it is toast. Center post bent, aluminum hub cracked and way too floppy. It did work but you need to lube the tires and use a cheater bar over the pry bar. And bolt it down to the floor. And sweat alot!

vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
6/6/17 12:22 p.m.

Oh! it is a workout LOL I am not surprised it broke. I see the weak areas. I will continue to reinforce. I am sure it will have a very finite life span

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/6/17 12:24 p.m.

A friend of mine has one of those. He uses it for older higher profile tires. It works but he needed to bolt it to the pavement and add reinforcement to the bead breaker.

I would only suggest it if you have a welder and want to do some mods.

vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
6/6/17 12:27 p.m.

Exactly! I welded mine to larger .5" plate steel, and that seems to work pretty well

aircooled wrote: A friend of mine has one of those. He uses it for older higher profile tires. It works but he needed to bolt it to the pavement and add reinforcement to the bead breaker. I would only suggest it if you have a welder and want to do some mods.
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/17 12:29 p.m.

Good timing, I've been thinking about getting one of these, I guess I'll look elsewhere.

My friend has one that looks like the harbor freight one except It's black. It's at least 20 years old and has done hundreds of tires. The store he bought it from is longer in existence, but I thought because they looked the same they might be the same.

If you really want to have fun with one of these, try it not bolted to anything and on gravel.

vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
6/6/17 12:34 p.m.

The HF version will need work. If there is a more solid version it would work. It's a good design, but just weak In reply to RevRico:

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
6/6/17 12:45 p.m.
vazbmw wrote: I plan on making parts for the Harbor Freight version. The Harbor Freight version is a good start for a changer...better than building from scratch, but it will need mods to work. The long pry bar is not strong enough, neither is the foot used to break the bead. So, I will be making better versions of those parts In reply to wae:

I have the motorcycle adapter and the same is true. It's a good start but I had to mod it pretty heavily before using it at all.

I bolted mine to a sheet of OSB so when I was creating torque I was standing on it and not rotating the whole thing.

I used a cutting board and cut it up to make the rim clamps "nice wheel" safe.

And I made a new bar from 1.0x.125 square tubing and put a PTFE ball tip on one end and a flat angled strip on the other for dismount and mount work. The lathe in the background was helpful for making that bit.

It makes quick work of bike tires now - but I should give it a try on a 17" Hoosier R7 and see if it can be done. Those things make guys with real tire machines hate me so I'm guessing it's not going to be easy.

vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
6/6/17 12:50 p.m.

Nice! Hey, that bike though! WOw!

It removed a tire the NTB could not remove. But, they were a sorry lot In reply to Huckleberry:

vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
6/6/17 12:52 p.m.

Could you zoom in closer and show the mods with the cutting board?

Huckleberry wrote:
vazbmw wrote: I plan on making parts for the Harbor Freight version. The Harbor Freight version is a good start for a changer...better than building from scratch, but it will need mods to work. The long pry bar is not strong enough, neither is the foot used to break the bead. So, I will be making better versions of those parts In reply to wae:
I have the motorcycle adapter and the same is true. It's a good start but I had to mod it pretty heavily before using it at all. I bolted mine to a sheet of OSB so when I was creating torque I was standing on it and not rotating the whole thing. I used a cutting board and cut it up to make the rim clamps "nice wheel" safe. And I made a new bar from 1.0x.125 square tubing and put a PTFE ball tip on one end and a flat angled strip on the other for dismount and mount work. The lathe in the background was helpful for making that bit. It makes quick work of bike tires now - but I should give it a try on a 17" Hoosier R7 and see if it can be done. Those things make guys with real tire machines hate me so I'm guessing it's not going to be easy.
Snrub
Snrub Reader
6/6/17 8:07 p.m.

I have the >16" tire version from Princess Auto (Canadian, with the awesome brand name of "Power Fist", sells lots of the same stuff as HF). I found it works well if you have a decent amount of sidewall (eg. 185/65/14), but not so well with less sidewall (eg. 245/40/18). It's also best if you don't care too much about the condition of the rim. I glued some plastic on the tool which helped.

I have the corresponding wheel balancer as well. It's pretty tough to get an accurate reading on, the bubble window simply isn't big enough to distinguish small changes.

jere
jere HalfDork
6/6/17 8:51 p.m.

I ve got one too, bolting to the floor is a must as is lube. (Advanced Auto sells a gal for $10 which is the only place I could find that had it. It was behind the counter not on the shelf) I also drilled holes and knocked in spare hub studs to bolt the wheel to the metal disk. That spider thing it comes with is straight junk.

I use a a combo of tire spoons and sleeve steel gas pipe over the bar it came with after it starts to bend.

There is a cool bar out there that has nylon integrated in its design. I totally forget anything else about it like who makes it...

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/6/17 10:01 p.m.

This guy has some good mod ideas too, including using the sidewall of old tires instead of cutting board plastic.https://youtu.be/gpTgwbHarEg

I will say it does look like bolting down is imperative.

vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
6/7/17 5:43 a.m.

This is interesting to know. I was going to pick one up

Snrub wrote: ... I have the corresponding wheel balancer as well. It's pretty tough to get an accurate reading on, the bubble window simply isn't big enough to distinguish small changes.
vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
6/7/17 5:46 a.m.

Good stuff to know. I love the lug idea In reply to jere:

vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
6/7/17 5:56 a.m.

In reply to Robbie:

Good stuff. I will definitely do the tire rubber. That will be a great addition.

Thanks

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
6/7/17 8:25 a.m.

If anyone getting excited about this thread is near the Lehigh Valley of PA, you can come get mine out of the garage for $free. Have a local tire guy that is cheap enough I don't use it any more.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CrOvN5wrcizzu9rYKLu1fOnvVtqmS0okA2d9PUUg751aOkNIaO4WWHsMTeghWPPS