1 2
Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
12/12/22 9:10 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:

So, a word about the NT01 (and it's sibling, the Toyo RA-1).  These tires are really old tech.  They were kings in their day, but have been surpassed in various ways.  If that's the level of grip & longevity you want, the V730 is a good modern alternative.  You should also look at the revised Maxxis RC1 with the R2 compound.  That was really good in our recent 100tw test.

Thank for weighing in Andy! 

So reading above, the v730 should have better levels of grip over a similar or longer time frame than NT01s, sounds like a winner for an HPDE Warrior with no concern with wet performance, especially given the 20% reduction in costs per tire.

Man I would love to love the RC1, but my experience with the braking performance of the V1 left me seriously frustrated versus NT01s that always seemed to be their best at high levels of slip angle. The RC1 (v1) seemed to like precise inputs and without ABS were very difficult to modulate on the brakes. 

The RC1s did have incredible wear characteristics though! Lasting forever I may have to replace them preemptively due to the disdain mentioned above.

Sounds like I need to shop 18" wheels so I can get the 275 sizing I'm looking for in the v730.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/13/22 9:58 a.m.

Andy, are you looking at the performance of those tires from an auto-x perspective or a track/hpde perspective?

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
12/20/22 4:27 p.m.

In reply to bumpsteer :

In our experience, the Hankook RS4 provides mega-value for track use.  They last forever and are at least as fast as the two you mentioned. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
12/20/22 4:29 p.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

Like you, we were not fans of the original RC1...but the R2 compound changes everything.  It was a pleasant surprise how good they turned out to be.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
12/20/22 4:31 p.m.
docwyte said:

Andy, are you looking at the performance of those tires from an auto-x perspective or a track/hpde perspective?

Both.  If you look at the top of the Ultimate Track Tire Guide summary chart, you'll see a selection guide as to which characteristics to prioritize for each use.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/21/22 9:36 a.m.

Thanks.  Doesn't matter tho, as none of those tires are available in the sizes I need.  Nitto NT01's for me still....

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
12/21/22 10:01 a.m.
Andy Hollis said:

In reply to Olemiss540 :

Like you, we were not fans of the original RC1...but the R2 compound changes everything.  It was a pleasant surprise how good they turned out to be.

Dangit. I had emotionally moved on from RC1's, but they are the only option this side of Hoosiers that come in 275/35/17 which helps with my fendermodified trashmobile. 

24.6" diameter is a hard tire to leave. Also I may have just bought a MK60 ABS system so braking problems be damned.

Realized the Nankang CR-S also comes in 275/35/17. Guess it will be between the two (rc1 and crs) given the odd sizing is appealing versus selling my 17" setup just to move on to V730s

Poor_sh
Poor_sh GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/2/23 1:04 p.m.

To chime in here,  I ran the V730 on my track-prepped 99 miata this season I think 8 track days with 28 sessions of 20-25 minute sessions. I also put about 5k mi on them on the street. They never felt different. Great warmup, held heat all the way through a session and didn't get greasy. I also still have bergen 2/32 and 3/32 tread left. I'm not an hpde king but I'm in the advanced groups and I'm usually about mid-pack.

kevinjkelly2008
kevinjkelly2008 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/5/23 7:30 p.m.

Reviving this thread. I will be making the same decision next season. I have been using NT01's on my E36 M3 and really like them. I have the new RE71RS for my street tires so rain is not a concern. I just run those when it rains. The Maxxis seem to be what I need and are somewhere around $250+ in my size (255/40/17) but those Kuhmos are tempting at $50+ less per tire. 

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 Reader
12/5/23 8:20 p.m.

Why not just run the RS's? They will murder an NT01 in every possible scenario. Plenty doing enduros on them getting 7+hrs out of them, so 21 sessions minimum.

Zero reason to buy a track tire when you are already spending for one of the quickest tires out there short of slicks. The RS is more of an intermediate tire too...an ECS would be a much better street/rain tire.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
12/6/23 8:28 a.m.

So we finally got Toyo/Nitto to send us NT01's for an official test, alongside R888R.

Some souls were crushed that day. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/are-the-toyo-proxes-r888r-rr-and-nitto-nt01-still-competitive/259801/page1/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZiytQT580xrBQBn9Wj1s7lwTrZURzA1N5ZOBsx0NuFeBUrbPJx3NoELd23GsLUfG