1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
4/5/21 9:00 p.m.

I've made:

• Tools to do a repeatable string alignment at home 
  • gopro mount (not my design)
  • Pegboard holders for cordless tool batteries (remixed from a few other designs)
  • camera hotshoe covers (not my design)
  • 350z battery box
  • 350z door handle bracket mount and prototype
  • 350z fire nozzle mount
  • 350z fire system control box cage mount 
  • 350z shock position sensor mount prototype 
  • Elva subframe bushing prototype 
  • hose pinch off pliers (not my design, 6/10 for effectiveness)

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but with some basic CAD skills and a project you'll find uses for it. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/5/21 9:09 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

we want to see the rocketship...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/21 9:24 p.m.
03Panther said:

we want to see the rocketship...

You have to make rocket zooming noises when playing with it, it's the rules. Business card for scale.

Keith Tanner
4/5/21 9:28 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but with some basic CAD skills and a project you'll find uses for it. 

To me, it's about the project. Then you develop the skills and tools to get there. 

Just printing random stuff off Thingverse would get old pretty quickly.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
4/5/21 9:56 p.m.

Exactly. Especially since most of the stuff I download off Thingiverse I'm like "...wait, I could fix this!"

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/5/21 10:21 p.m.
Vajingo said:
spandak said:

The endless possibilities of a 3D printer are kind of overwhelming. I love seeing the creativity here

That is where I am. I got the printer as a gift, and my brain about exploded. Then I set to work to find things to print. And I think my brain literally did explode the second prior, because I could not and still cannot really think of anything I need in the shop or for the Miata.

It really helps to find someone that documents what they use one for.  One of favorites:

https://instagram.com/3d_magic_mike

spandak
spandak HalfDork
4/6/21 10:57 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

A useful sidebar for that article would be a guide to hobbyist CAD software. That has been a big roadblock for me for a while. 

We all know someone with a pirated version of but thats not a good solution for me.

Keith Tanner
4/6/21 11:20 a.m.

I think the answer for that is Fusion 360. Free for hobbyists for one year and you can legitimately extend it every year so it's really lifetime or until Autodesk changes their licensing.

I've talked about it before, but choosing the right tool for the job is interesting. For example, I've decided to cut some parts on the laser instead of printing them because the laser is faster and makes better parts. But there are some things the laser just doesn't do well. And sometimes you're best off just grabbing a piece of metal. I swear half of the guys on the Miata 3D group have never held a drill, they immediately go to the printer for everything :) I even have some parts that are built out of a combination, such as a display housing that has a printed front face and a laser cut back face. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
4/6/21 11:45 a.m.

Also have an Ender3 Pro

Great little tool...errr, TOY.

I like it, and have made various little trinkets.
As far as AUTOMOTIVE stuff goes...not a lot...yet.

I have a SW20 MR2, not much already made for that and nothing I can think of, currently, that I need in PLA plastic.

That said, Ive made a sunglasses holder that clips onto my passenger sunvisor and a cable saver for the iphone that I keep in that car. Nothing wild.

I have see NACA ducts on there and I picked up a spare T-Top from the junkyard. Im seriously considering printing some ducts and running some hose down for when I take my hockey gear in the MR2, then I could have it dried by the time I get home.

Right?

Or I ruin a T-TOp.

shagles
shagles Reader
4/6/21 12:01 p.m.

NC Miata you say? If you don't need 1 or more of these already, you will. 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2237341

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
4/6/21 2:07 p.m.

In reply to shagles :

Someday. But right now it's fine. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/6/21 7:08 p.m.

I got a great deal on a slightly used, but usefully upgraded Creality CR10 v2, and used the heck out of it over winter making wall holders for power tools, battery dispensers, nick-nacks for wife and daughter, and other cool stuff mainly from Thingiverse downloads.  But to be honest, not much lately.  Since Spring has sprung, there is way too much to do outside now!

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/30/21 12:30 p.m.

I did just now find I can 3D the center caps for Enkei wheels. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
4/18/22 10:00 p.m.

Almost a year old thread, sorry.

If there's another, more recent, 3D printing thread, please let me know (I forgot if there was one, apologies)

I made some stuff for my fiance recently, some plant holders (she's a florist) - she was doign a community college class and one of her nights she was discussing different types of planters and I thought I'd send her off with several 'home-made' things, showing what's possible now with 3D printers.

Well, that got me back to thinking about 3d printing.

Today a friend posted on a gun site about needing a Explorer part made, sure. So I did that for him.

And, coincidentally, I made two trips to Lowe's today trying to 'make' a new dust collector for my miter saw. And neither trip was successful. I mean, they COULD have been, but it was a free Skil-Saw, and I didnt really feel like 30 bucks on making a compact dust collector.

BUT THEN IT HIT ME - I can PRINT what I need!...or at least mostly. So Im running some tests now, will post more later/tomorrow as I have more/most of the project done.

So, now/tonight Ive went from 'toy' to quite useful. I dig it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
72gOLosKUxXNtATPiBm46y3mgIAm4PzEYbCNcGNn0ClHmLPWa41R82jIrOJcmTQ8