Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
5/20/22 4:38 p.m.

Granted, I have been a knuckle dragging MoPar guy my whole life, but I try to watch trends with other cars that I will likely never own.   The 914 was unloved the last time I looked, which may have been more decades ago than I care to admit.  But I have noticed them being mentioned more and more the lest few years, and prices appear to have shot up past my preferred "cheaper" models.  (924/944 and 928)  

So is the 914 really in that much demand now?   

The reason I ask, is I have a line on a Signal?  Nepal? Orange '914.    No idea about year, so likely no title, horrible photos, so I will assume no engine, and who knows what the rust situation is.  

But it looks like the car was somewhat disassembled, and I see evidence of some of the missing body parts strewn across the area, which makes me think there may be more parts in some of the totes.   

My best bet appears to be parting it out.   Some of the parts that I see on comps appear to bring in decent money, which surprises the heck out of me.

So, to the 914 savvy, do you see a grand in parts here?  3 years ago, I would have said no way, but now?     I may be underestimating the value I see.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/22 5:03 p.m.

I'm no expert, but hipshot is there's easily a grand in parts there. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/22 5:16 p.m.

Pre-1973. Easily a grand. It is sitting like it has the motor and trans in it. The VIN will tell you the year as in starts with 472 it is a '72, 471 a '71, etc. If it starts with 914 buy it!!!!!!!

Bumpers and f&r valences. No holes for the tatas in the bumpers so pre-1973 bumpers.

Buy it and then post pics. You might have some good money there in a car that is good enough to rebuild. You never know, but @ $1k min you will be in some money.

There are much more knowledgeable 914 guys here than me. I stepped away from VW/Porsche stuff for Jeeps for about 20 year (idiot), and lost more knowledge than I can believe.

I paid $700 for mine and could easily get $2500+ for it now untouched.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/22 5:59 p.m.

I have a few items for a 914 that I'm looking for.  If you buy it I'd like to be first in line for parts.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
5/20/22 6:04 p.m.

If it's not super rusty than it's a builder and not a parts car , 

and it's a cool color too !

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/22 6:44 p.m.
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself said:

That Aurora Flashback race set is worth about $100, maybe more depending on what color the Cigarbox cars inside are.

As for the 914, yeah, they are. Rising tide raises all ships and all that, but yeah they have really shot up. Honestly that one looks clean enough to be worth getting a tile or BOS for and making some $$$$. 

5/20/22 7:02 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I noticed the Flashback set, and had already looked up comps on it, though who knows how complete it is. 

914s used to be worthless compared to the 944 and 928, but they appear to have gone nuts over time.   Admittedly, I stopped seriously checking them 2 or 3 decades ago until recently.

I tend to aim low to keep from getting carried away with my expectations and getting burnt.  I agree there is a good chance it is much better than I am letting myself believe, but planning for the worst case usually keeps me from getting burned on purchases.  

preach (dudeist priest)
5/20/22 7:05 p.m.

My 914s license plate:

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/20/22 7:08 p.m.

From a recent Hagerty article.  This is for running and driving cars, but even if that one is a hulk it's probably worth quite a bit more than you're thinking.

"Much like anything else, how much you pay for a classic 914 will depend on a few factors like condition or specification. At the time of writing, some are available for as little as $14,000, both in four-cylinder and six-cylinder form, but for that, expect one that may require a little work doing.

For a good example that's been looked after and has plenty of service history — which would be the one to go for, unless you're wanting to have some fun working on your own project — then expect to pay in the region of $30,000. Really, as far as classic cars go, that isn't too bad. And especially so when you consider how much enjoyment you could have behind the wheel of one."

https://www.hotcars.com/heres-how-much-a-classic-porsche-914-is-worth-today/

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/20/22 7:21 p.m.

Desirable? Only if you've never shifted one from first to second. Children have been born in less time, and with less pain and uncertainty.

Edit: Sorry. I'm still bitter. I had such high hopes for mine.

Margie

5/20/22 7:32 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

I grew up driving A833 4 speed transmissions, and an '81 Ford Econoline with a floor shifter.  

"Snick/Snick" indeed...

Marjorie Suddard
5/20/22 7:37 p.m.

Fair enough. Got my license in a '61 Ranchero with 3 on the tree and a non-synchro first, though, and STILL have not forgiven my 914.

Margie

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
5/20/22 7:55 p.m.

That transmission is the same design as an early 911 with the dogleg first , 

Then throw it in a cheap mid engine 914 and you have a real sloppy setup , 

The later 914 had the side shift which helped some for the slop but it was still a dogleg 1st

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/20/22 8:09 p.m.

My uncle has one and I drove it a bunch in high school.  They're cool cars but with the exception of a 914-6, or a 914 that's had a 6 cylinder put in it, I can't say that I'm all that interested in them

preach (dudeist priest)
5/20/22 8:25 p.m.

I have had the pleasure of driving both a '74 2.0 914 and a '07 987.1 Cayman S in E. County San Diego. Faced with those two sets of keys, it would be a hard choice.

Fantastic, just different levels. 

Both you just want to carry the speed.

preach (dudeist priest)
5/20/22 8:28 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

Desirable? Only if you've never shifted one from first to second. Children have been born in less time, and with less pain and uncertainty.

Edit: Sorry. I'm still bitter. I had such high hopes for mine.

Margie

Margie, you get used to it. Try driving a split window bus...your grandchildren will be born. And, it's not a dogleg up.

EDIT: Forget how many generations of your family before you get up the hill!!!

MiniDave
MiniDave New Reader
5/20/22 8:34 p.m.

You all are kidding! Ever try a "puddin stirrer", Mini with a magic wand shifter? Makes those all seem like a precision instrument!

I had a '76 2.0 that I really liked, even had A/C that worked. Put over 100K on it and sold it for more than I paid. I was looking for another the last year or so, but they've simply gone out of sight now.....

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/20/22 9:22 p.m.

I have a nice "unrusty" one or had depending on your point of view. Unfortunately or fortunately, again depending on your point of view, I am going down the Outlaw 914 route rather quickly, so the purists are going to HATE ME!!!! Should be fun when done with a Subaru engine/transaxle. 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
5/20/22 9:28 p.m.

That is worth way, way more than $1000.  Look under the battery.    If that is solid, you are golden, maybe.  That thing looks to nice to part out.

Plate on driver's side door jam will tell you the color code

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/21/22 7:36 a.m.

Well, if you decide to part it out, dibs on the bumpers!  I have a '74 with big rubber knuckles out there. 

Margie, I'm sorry you had a tough time with a 914, there are shift kits (as in most cars) that lessen the throw.

Marjorie Suddard
5/21/22 10:33 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Mine had a short-shift kit frown

Pertinent to the discussion, however, it did sell for a good price, so I should forgive the 914 breed as a whole, instead of whispering "you suck" to the ones I see at shows.

Margie

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kfVeNc8toJOSXlXLzazURuyPBhdyZ8zGGHwAovvi9dgeyAoYSuwIDvWoOJfanb6Z