1 2 3 4
sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/14/22 5:43 p.m.

Looks like Tony's landed on his feet after jumping off from HMS Motortrend.

(All Hail!) The Algorithm, that figured I needed to see him and his team turbo-ing a $1100 Lincoln Mark VII to the tune of $4k.  And it was right.  Y'all should too, even if it isn't quite GRM $2k Challenge caliber.

edit
direct link, in case embedding isn't working / a pain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhu3Ud3FyNE

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/14/22 6:22 p.m.

I haven't watched this latest episode but he has a bunch of older videos, both when he was on his own and now several of them under the Hagerty banner.  The camera work isn't top notch yet but the shows are entertaining.  I like him, he has a good work ethic (the Drag Week he did with Finnegan a couple years ago was epic.)

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/14/22 9:10 p.m.

I really enjoyed Tony's work under the MotorTrend banner with Lucky Costa.  Fun projects, some cheap and attainable, some total oddballs.  Doesn't hurt that hes a local Pennsylvania guy with a mix of import drifting and old school V8 muscle interests either.  I hope he get the formula right with Hagerty too after a few episodes.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/22 9:13 p.m.

I like Tony a lot, and I wish him great success. He seems like a good guy and a great dad. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/14/22 9:33 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

There's something down to earth about him - he never talks down to the audience.  I hope he does well .  

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/22 9:37 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

He seems to be sincerely self deprecating. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/14/22 10:08 p.m.

Good episode. I'll continue with them. 

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/14/22 11:14 p.m.

Something about him goes against the grain for me.  Maybe its his arrogance.  Best of luck to him but I aint gonna watch any more of the new stuff.  Older stuff he wasnt as cocky.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
11/15/22 9:11 a.m.

I thought about posting something about this episode a few days ago, I really enjoyed it. They didn't stretch the build out for eleventy-billion episodes, the car was a cool choice, lots of interesting work and tips, and the whole crew seemed very down-to-earth. It was the closest thing to actually working in my garage that I've seen on any major corporate YouTube channel in a long time.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
11/15/22 9:13 a.m.

In reply to malibuguy :

I could see how he could come across like that. To me, he is ignorantly cocky on purpose and allows himself to fail and get things wrong.

Just came to say I really like Tony and his channel(s). It's getting better every episode and I'm here to stay. He seems like an honest guy with a good heart. Treats his friends very well. And the fact that he's doing what he is doing and gave up HRG to be home more is commendable. Keep it up, Tony. 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
11/15/22 2:09 p.m.

I've only seen ~one or two episodes since he left MT but I generally like Tony's persona & the what he's doing online.  I expect he'll continue to do well making interesting content.  The guy knows way more about wrenching and driving than I do and his builds are fairly entertaining.    

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
11/15/22 7:49 p.m.
AMiataCalledSteve said:

I thought about posting something about this episode a few days ago, I really enjoyed it. They didn't stretch the build out for eleventy-billion episodes, the car was a cool choice, lots of interesting work and tips, and the whole crew seemed very down-to-earth. It was the closest thing to actually working in my garage that I've seen on any major corporate YouTube channel in a long time.

As someone who loved junkyard turbo set ups on weird cars I thought it was fantastic. 
They obviously edited a bunch of work out but it showed the meat and potatoes of a home brew turbo set up. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/15/22 9:20 p.m.

Hey that was great. I didn't see any arrogance on display just someone enjoying and knowing what they're doing. 395whp out of a Lincoln v8 ain't no slouch. Adding an intercooler would help I bet. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/16/22 6:17 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

I haven't watched this latest episode but he has a bunch of older videos, both when he was on his own and now several of them under the Hagerty banner.  The camera work isn't top notch yet but the shows are entertaining.  I like him, he has a good work ethic (the Drag Week he did with Finnegan a couple years ago was epic.)

I did watch this latest video, and the camera work/videography has improved quite a bit from what I said earlier.  It was a good episode.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/16/22 8:59 a.m.

That band he links to in the description, and uses in most of his videos, Subtastics... yeah, that's me.

https://subtastics.bandcamp.com/

He even managed to keep using us when he got picked up by Hagerty.  Top-notch dude.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/16/22 9:19 a.m.

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :

Ha! Small world.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
11/28/23 11:09 a.m.

well him an hagerty didn't last too long, turned into more corporate overlords again.  I think him on his own, his own shop, own plans, close to home, is a great recipe.  I'd love to go visit his shop sometime since it's only like an hour from me.  

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/28/23 11:33 a.m.

In reply to camopaint0707 :

I agree. The Stay Tuned stuff he does is totally aligned with this audience. He does get some parts from connections but building the budget "Syclone" could have easily been a GRM build. I've been enjoying him not being around the corporate overlords. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/28/23 12:28 p.m.

I've watched some of the syclone videos, like what he's doing. I think he's genuine and I hope he does well. 

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/28/23 1:40 p.m.

I'm a subscriber to his channel, really have enjoyed the V8 porsche project, even if i hate the look of the mufflers. Makes me want to try to find a 911 with a blown engine some day :D

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
11/28/23 6:44 p.m.

Stay Tuned has become part of my weekend mornings whilst enjoying my coffee.  They always seem to get into a project that I would like to have in my garage.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/28/23 7:47 p.m.

All I can say is watch the one where he works on his sister's boat. It's hilarious. laugh

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/28/23 8:47 p.m.

We'Re GoNnA lOsE tHe ShOp!

Lolzers.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/13/24 1:22 p.m.

I should make more time to watch Tony's stuff... it's been a bit hit-and-miss for me.  but this popped up, figured it was worth the thread bump to link to it:

direct link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi1Rg5QMVi4

I'd still like to see him head back to OneLap {natch} again sometime, and get to have the kind of week there that he and Finnegan had at DragWeek.  Since their last foray meant they didn't get a real taste of what OneLap is like, imho.

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
2/13/24 3:49 p.m.

I watch his show every week. I like that his builds and projects are kind of all over the place and not just muscle cars and 60's stuff( I love that stuff to but half decent cars in the NE are money)

I remember my buddy making me watch his drift events years ago plus he's a local and likes good pizza.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gKm7j1AkLDBfDk2s44BSYjcauCDCesF7owBqdCo6PWbZ58MUBXyYNwLKXmEjWmN4